Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:16:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394898 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 29, 2019, 13:31:00 »

The BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) tunnels tours begin from this passage. They are part of the annual Bristol Open Doors Days and the tours are free, but get booked very quickly due to limited spaces and high demand.

From a google search: https://www.flickr.com/photos/newage2/sets/72157624024078970/

As mentioned here and earlier on, these tours are booked out in the blink of an eye. I've had zero success in getting myself on a tour over some years. There must be people waiting online for the very second that tickets become available to book them. Sells out quicker than Glasto or the FA Cup.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 29, 2019, 14:03:37 »

The BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) tunnels tours begin from this passage. They are part of the annual Bristol Open Doors Days and the tours are free, but get booked very quickly due to limited spaces and high demand.

From a google search: https://www.flickr.com/photos/newage2/sets/72157624024078970/

As mentioned here and earlier on, these tours are booked out in the blink of an eye. I've had zero success in getting myself on a tour over some years. There must be people waiting online for the very second that tickets become available to book them. Sells out quicker than Glasto or the FA Cup.

I managed to get on one of the tunnel tours in 2016. It wasn't part of Open Doors but a GWR (Great Western Railway) 175th anniversary event. It included a tunnel tour followed by ferry boat to ss Great Britain and guided tour of the ship/museum.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #557 on: June 29, 2019, 20:50:13 »

As regards direct egress from the subway to the main station approach, as I recall there wasn't much of a landing at the top of those stairs. Ticket inspectors stood on both sides of the exit, and that used to create a log jam on the stairs. You would only need one person to fall over in the queue and a lot of people behind them would find themselves being knocked over and falling back down the stairs.

Thinking more about it now, it wouldn't surprise me if someone thought it a bit hazardous even back then, and H&S (Health and Safety) legislation wouldn't countenance the arrangement at all these days.

This may explain why this particular route out of the station was completely abandoned and permanently blocked up, whilst the others just had locked gates at their openings. (In the case of Cattle Market Road route it's got the Lost Property Office sitting in front of it now.)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #558 on: July 01, 2019, 06:53:42 »

And I am still the proud owner of a Man From UNCLE badge!

How did you get that?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 01, 2019, 08:25:13 »

How did you get that?

Didn't they used to hand them out at Del Floria's Tailor Shop?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 01, 2019, 10:41:09 »

How did you get that?

Didn't they used to hand them out at Del Floria's Tailor Shop?

Not to me they didn't but they did a wonderful job with pressing my trousers!

Found the badges collecting dust in the back of a little shop in Hope Cove in 1980 but alas no one pointed me to a hidden door.  5p each, had to buy the lot. Sold/gave away most of them to friends but still have at least one.

caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 01, 2019, 14:05:46 »

Article in your esteemed local Trumpet...is this of any newsworthiness or something drummed up on a quiet Monday by Phil Space and Phillipa Page (Apologies to Private Eye)

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-temple-meads-junction-trains-3031350
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #562 on: July 03, 2019, 20:02:59 »

Quote from: Red Squirrel
Quote from: jamestheredengine
When was this closed? The masonry on the outer wall looks old.

Bristol Temple Meads became a Grade I listed building on 1st Nov 1966 (see here for details: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1282106). Even if, as Robin Summerhill suggests, the entrance was blocked a few years before that date, I think they would have had sufficient sensitivity to use matching stonework.

I was at Temple Meads today so I went to have a more detailed look at the external wall where the exit via the stairway once was.

The infilled section very closely matches the original. All a trained eye could see was that the blockwork is very slightly less rough and the individual blocks are a little smaller.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #563 on: July 03, 2019, 22:27:03 »

Quote from: eXPassenger
Quote from: Western Pathfinder
Quote from: Robin Summerhill
Quote from: Western Pathfinder
As well as the exit to the underside of the incline,that comes out below the Station frontage,.
I didn't know about that one - and I used to work there  Grin
It's still used occasionally as a route to busses on rail replacement.
I have used it and it felt as though we were walking all the way to Yatton.  It also needs a good scrub and a coat of paint.
Where's the entrance from the subway then? Under the stairs by the lift to platform 3?
Yes
Confusion seems to reign on this one.

Someone's going to love me for so many levels of quoting. 

Ahem!  Shocked Roll Eyes Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 20, 2019, 12:29:10 »

I managed to get on one of the tunnel tours in 2016. It wasn't part of Open Doors but a GWR (Great Western Railway) 175th anniversary event. It included a tunnel tour followed by ferry boat to ss Great Britain and guided tour of the ship/museum.

The BTM tunnels are not included in the Open Doors weekend in September, which is a shame. Anyone know why this is?

Here are the venues for this year: https://bristolopendoors.org.uk/whats-on/
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 22, 2019, 15:35:53 »

For anyone who is interested, the inbound bus stop outside the Sidings/Reckless Engineer pub is now out of action as of yesterday and looks as though it will be imminently removed for the pavement to be widened. 

The new bus stop a little further in has opened, although it is definitely unfinished, and has an air of someone realising at the last minute that there would be hell to pay if everyone had to get off at the bottom of Victoria Street / outside the Garden Inn as I'd seen posted elsewhere. 
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 22, 2019, 16:13:59 »

For anyone who is interested, the inbound bus stop outside the Sidings/Reckless Engineer pub is now out of action as of yesterday and looks as though it will be imminently removed for the pavement to be widened. 

The new bus stop a little further in has opened, although it is definitely unfinished, and has an air of someone realising at the last minute that there would be hell to pay if everyone had to get off at the bottom of Victoria Street / outside the Garden Inn as I'd seen posted elsewhere. 

AIUI (as I understand it) the new bus stop is a Metrobus stop, the inbound stop for other services will be in Victoria Street, described as a 5 minute walk to the side entrance to the railway station. Out of interest also, the outbound stop for the Brislington P & R is on Redcliffe Way opposite St. Mary's Redcliffe Church which is about a 10 minute walk from the station entrance whilst the service passes the new bus stop at the bottom of the incline, a 2 minute walk from the stations main entrance.

For years I have thought that those planning the present day road network of Bristol were bonkers, with the latest unveilings I realise we got what we got when its devised by idiots.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 22, 2019, 21:59:35 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the new bus stop is a Metrobus stop, the inbound stop for other services will be in Victoria Street, described as a 5 minute walk to the side entrance to the railway station. Out of interest also, the outbound stop for the Brislington P & R is on Redcliffe Way opposite St. Mary's Redcliffe Church which is about a 10 minute walk from the station entrance whilst the service passes the new bus stop at the bottom of the incline, a 2 minute walk from the stations main entrance.

For years I have thought that those planning the present day road network of Bristol were bonkers, with the latest unveilings I realise we got what we got when its devised by idiots.

I'm sure it will all make sense when the new side entrance to Temple Meads is finished. In about 5 years' time.

Now, please!
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 23, 2019, 10:09:58 »

I must admit I did panic when my bus carried on past here last night

On early plans the new stop was going to be near the abandoned hotel.
But as the many of the buses that stop at Temple Meads now come past St Mary Redcliffe perhaps these plans have changed
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 23, 2019, 21:49:48 »

The number 2 stopped there on Monday, but that was perhaps driver error/mutiny avoidance!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: