Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:02:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394910 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 28, 2019, 13:17:42 »

Thanks for the very clear summary.

If the northern entrance is to become the official main entrance, as well as the most popular, then it does make sense for buses to stop in the Friary rather than on the Incline. I agree with the taxidriver that it would be more convenient to have taxis and buses in the same area, but I wonder if there will be space. I also wonder how passengers to/from the buses will interact with those coming on foot or bike from the Valentine and Cheesegrater bridges: is there a plan to build a second footbridge across the 'moat'?

Finally, where is the Fish Dock siding? It sounds like there's going to be a footbridge across the Avon directly into the station?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 28, 2019, 13:54:54 »

Fishdock was/is the sidings on the right hand side of Platform two if you are looking towards the trains arriving from the weston direction
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 28, 2019, 14:07:54 »

Finally, where is the Fish Dock siding? It sounds like there's going to be a footbridge across the Avon directly into the station?

To expand on infoman's reply, the plan involves using the trackbed on the west side of the Cattle Market Road bridge. It wasn't clear whether this this meant taking out both tracks into the Platform 2 bay, or just the westernmost; I had imagined that P2 would be used for Portishead terminators but perhaps that's not necessary.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 28, 2019, 14:37:17 »

Thanks. Fish Dock perhaps makes more sense as a name than Platform 2, as I don't think I've ever seen a passenger service there. Mind you, maybe Yellow Engineering Train Dock would be most appropriate!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 28, 2019, 14:53:23 »

Thank you for that report. Does the removal of the subway represent the first stroke of "value engineering"? I thought that P0 and P1 were going to be for the via Parkway London services primarily, but unless P1 is extended, it won't hold a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train).

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 28, 2019, 16:02:23 »

Thank you, very informative.

So, some speculation based on Red Squirrel's summary. 

- Using the Midland shed for a foyer is a neat trick as indeed, it avoids having to build over or under platforms 0 and 1. It's quite a big space and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there are a row of windows on the northern side that could be unbricked for light. But I imagine that there is very little, if any, structural alteration that needs to be made to the listed shell. Which could make for speedy consenting and build. There's also the possibility of taking over the existing event space for offices etc.

- Furthermore, it should be possible to build the new foyer before the signal box is removed, which can't happen until various bits of track west of Bristol have been resignalled, which I believe is currently postponed. Also handy. However, that resignalling will facilitate electrification, so it's good news that platforms 0 and 1 are in the plan. I *think* that if the start of P0 and P1 are moved a little west of the current walkway there's just about enough space for a 10-car IET (Intercity Express Train).

- I believe that a public walkway under the station was promised by the Council and University and work is planned to build it during the 2021 blockade.

- Busses - the only service that you'd really need to be on the Friary is the A1 and A2 towards the airport. The rest could conceivably all end up on Temple Gate, with the southbound stop used to berth the odd bus.

- Where the cycle hub would be is an interesting question. My guess is that the current car park between the station and the Friary will end up with a big glass box on it, and the ground floor of that box would be a load of retail and food chains, which might explain why Network Rail is so supportive of local businesses for a change.   

- The car parking will go on the Kwik-Fit site. Using the engineers' siding is a neat trick as it exits on the level next to the BTP (British Transport Police) offices, but as far as I can see, the platform face is still kept if required as there are two lines. I reckon you could just about get away with an entrance and exit into the roundabout to permit northbound exits with a bit of work and phasing of the lights.

One question though - was there any mention of electrification in the plans?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 28, 2019, 17:03:17 »

Thank you for that report. Does the removal of the subway represent the first stroke of "value engineering"?

I don't think so - I think it was always going to be a big ask to create a public subway right under the station because that would require either a set of ticket barriers at every platform, or a whole new subway built through the vaults. As it is, there will be a new route along the Floating Harbour immediately to the north of the station, so anyone wanting to get round rather than into the station will at least have that as an option.

I thought that P0 and P1 were going to be for the via Parkway London services primarily, but unless P1 is extended, it won't hold a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train).

As soon as I saw the stubby little bay on the artist's impression, I thought 'Aha, that'll do for terminators coming in on the reliefs - Severn Beach, Henbury, Gloucester, Great Malvern... By my reckoning the platforms will be about 160m, so enough to accommodate a 5-car IET or a Castle set.

One question though - was there any mention of electrification in the plans?

No.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 28, 2019, 17:25:45 »

- Where the cycle hub would be is an interesting question. My guess is that the current car park between the station and the Friary will end up with a big glass box on it, and the ground floor of that box would be a load of retail and food chains, which might explain why Network Rail is so supportive of local businesses for a change.   
At the moment there's cycle parking in front of the BTP (British Transport Police)* station and on P2 (or 3? thereabouts). Not sure why the parking in front of BTP has to move?

*That's British Transport Police not Boston Tea Party, though it might be a good idea to have one of each onsite.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 28, 2019, 17:36:53 »

Very interesting information. Did anyone stick their neck out with timescales for these changes? Are there any illustrations of the plans available yet.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 05, 2020, 22:35:47 »

The first phase of remodelling Bristol East Junction - moving the substation near Oxford St in St Philips - appears to have begun:

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 06, 2020, 10:56:30 »

The first phase of remodelling Bristol East Junction - moving the substation near Oxford St in St Philips - appears to have begun:

I noticed there are lots of these temporary footpaths being installed the other end of the station too, linking platform 2 and West of the station
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 06, 2020, 13:06:04 »

So that's what they're doing!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 06, 2020, 15:03:03 »

On Track – Putting Temple Meads Station at the heart of Bristol’s future
Posted on February 6, 2020 by marvinjrees
Today’s guest blog comes from Sir Peter Hendy CBE, Chair of Network Rail.

It’s a crucial time for Temple Meads station. Investment in a new rail fleet is creating extra train capacity and faster connections between Bristol, London and elsewhere, and passenger numbers passing through Brunel’s masterpiece are expected to reach 22 million a year by 2030.

We’ve wanted to improve Temple Meads station for passengers and people passing through the area for a long time.

We haven’t had the resources to do this on our own, so we’ve grasped a once-in–a-lifetime opportunity to work with Bristol City Council, WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about), Homes England and the University of Bristol to put Temple Meads at the heart of a new urban quarter helping to unlock new homes, jobs, opportunities and connectivity.

Improvements to the station will make it a 21st century transport hub by doubling its passenger capacity and linking to public transport improvements that will reduce congestion, reduce carbon use and make it easier to travel to and around the city.

As part of the Temple Quarter masterplan work we plan to:

•Make it easier for passengers to move around in the station itself, create new platforms and improve existing ones.
•Transform the northern gateway (by the Friary) creating a new concourse with improved retail, ticket office and passenger facilities.  The gateway will open up to a new transport hub on the Friary with easy connections for pedestrians, cyclists and the local and citywide bus network.
•Create a new eastern entrance from the station subway opening onto the University of Bristol’s Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus and the east of the city.
We’re excited and proud to see Temple Meads at the centre of this harmonious, co-ordinated plan to create a thriving new quarter in the centre of the city that will help boost the city economy and open up opportunities for people and businesses.

Succeeding in this needs a shared ambition so we really value the support and collaboration from our fellow partners both to create something unique for Bristol, its citizens and economy, and, as we should, putting passengers first on our railway.

Bristol City Council is presenting an overview of the work in Temple Quarter, and an update on how future proposals for the area are progressing, to the Growth and Regeneration Scrutiny Committee next week. You can view the presentation here and here.
Source: Mayor of Bristol's Blog

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 26, 2020, 17:32:48 »

Information received from Network Rail

Good Morning,

Please see our press release below that was issued today on behalf of the roof refurbishment contract signing at Bristol Temple Meads.

Contract signing kick-starts a cleaner, brighter future for Bristol passengers

Bristol Temple Meads

Rail passengers are set to see the historic Bristol Temple Meads brought back to its former glory with a huge restoration programme getting underway this summer.   

Network Rail’s plans have reached an important milestone with the signing of Taziker as primary contractor in a three-year refurbishment of the famous Victorian roof on the city’s oldest station.

In the wake of the coronavirus crisis, the £24 million contract is good news for the economy with around 75 full-time workers expected onsite at the peak of the project.   

Taziker has also committed to creating apprenticeships for local people; offering a unique opportunity to work alongside experts with experience on other heritage landmarks including Brunel’s Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol and the Royal Albert Bridge in Plymouth.   

As well as refreshing the roof for a cleaner, brighter experience for passengers, work on the Grade I listed structure will protect it from further deterioration for future generations. It will involve extensive metal and woodwork repairs and the complete re-glazing of the roof and canopies. This is the first major refurbishment of the station roof in over 25 years; due for completion in 2023.   

The project is part of a wider programme of railway upgrades in the area to improve reliability, capacity and the overall passenger experience.   

This includes the remodelling of a crucial junction just outside the station; a complete rewire of the station’s electrical system, and in collaboration with West of England Combined Authority the creation of a new station entrance which will offer access to a new university of Bristol campus and the east of the city. 

Mike Gallop, Western Route Director, Network Rail, said: “This is a great moment for Bristol and the whole West of England as we will be providing a brighter station for passengers, worthy of the original creator, Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

We're ambitious about our plans for the railway in the city, and this is just the first step in providing a world-class station to enable more people to get to their jobs and encouraging more investment in the area."

Marvin Rees, Mayor of Bristol, said: “I’m really pleased that Temple Meads will be renovated while we look forward to future expansion of an eastern entrance. This is a much-needed step forward in the enhancement of the station and a significant boost for Bristol during this really difficult time.

The Council is working to improve the transport network in Bristol for pedestrians and cyclists, and we’re pushing ahead with the Bus Deal to make it easier for residents in Bristol to travel safely and sustainably. Making improvements to Temple Meads feeds into Bristol’s ambitions for cleaner air and carbon neutrality.

We’re grateful for the progress that has been made so far and look forward to seeing the final improvements to a symbol of Bristol’s past and future transport network.”

Tom Nicotra, Business Development Director, Taziker said: “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work on another of Brunel’s masterpieces and have experience working on landmarks including Bristol’s iconic Clifton Suspension bridge and the Royal Albert bridge in Plymouth.   

We understand the special place that these pieces of infrastructure hold in the hearts of local communities. They represent a gateway to the history of the area and a living place of the city’s heritage. We look forward to restoring this fantastic piece of Victorian engineering.”   

Nina Howe, Passenger Manager, Transport Focus said: “Passengers will welcome this investment in Bristol Temple Meads station. We know their satisfaction with the station had improved, but it was still lagging behind other major stations including Paddington and Reading. The refurbishment of the roof will go a long way to improve the overall environment for passengers. Network Rail and train operators will need to keep any disruption during the work to a minimum with visible, helpful staff on hand to provide support.” 

Best wishes

Tala Ghannam | Communications Executive
Network Rail | Temple Point | Redcliffe Way | Bristol | BS1 6NL

Edit: Press release shewn as quote - RS
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 22:50:40 by Red Squirrel » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 26, 2020, 20:35:03 »

Information received from Network Rail

Good Morning,

Please see our press release below that was issued today on behalf of the roof refurbishment contract signing at Bristol Temple Meads.

Contract signing kick-starts a cleaner, brighter future for Bristol passengers

Bristol Temple Meads

Rail passengers are set to see the historic Bristol Temple Meads brought back to its former glory with a huge restoration programme getting underway this summer.   

Network Rail’s plans have reached an important milestone with the signing of Taziker as primary contractor in a three-year refurbishment of the famous Victorian roof on the city’s oldest station.

In the wake of the coronavirus crisis, the £24 million contract is good news for the economy with around 75 full-time workers expected onsite at the peak of the project.   

Taziker has also committed to creating apprenticeships for local people; offering a unique opportunity to work alongside experts with experience on other heritage landmarks including Brunel’s Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol and the Royal Albert Bridge in Plymouth.   

As well as refreshing the roof for a cleaner, brighter experience for passengers, work on the Grade I listed structure will protect it from further deterioration for future generations. It will involve extensive metal and woodwork repairs and the complete re-glazing of the roof and canopies. This is the first major refurbishment of the station roof in over 25 years; due for completion in 2023.   

The project is part of a wider programme of railway upgrades in the area to improve reliability, capacity and the overall passenger experience.   

This includes the remodelling of a crucial junction just outside the station; a complete rewire of the station’s electrical system, and in collaboration with West of England Combined Authority the creation of a new station entrance which will offer access to a new university of Bristol campus and the east of the city. 

Mike Gallop, Western Route Director, Network Rail, said: “This is a great moment for Bristol and the whole West of England as we will be providing a brighter station for passengers, worthy of the original creator, Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

We're ambitious about our plans for the railway in the city, and this is just the first step in providing a world-class station to enable more people to get to their jobs and encouraging more investment in the area."

Marvin Rees, Mayor of Bristol, said: “I’m really pleased that Temple Meads will be renovated while we look forward to future expansion of an eastern entrance. This is a much-needed step forward in the enhancement of the station and a significant boost for Bristol during this really difficult time.

The Council is working to improve the transport network in Bristol for pedestrians and cyclists, and we’re pushing ahead with the Bus Deal to make it easier for residents in Bristol to travel safely and sustainably. Making improvements to Temple Meads feeds into Bristol’s ambitions for cleaner air and carbon neutrality.

We’re grateful for the progress that has been made so far and look forward to seeing the final improvements to a symbol of Bristol’s past and future transport network.”

Tom Nicotra, Business Development Director, Taziker said: “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work on another of Brunel’s masterpieces and have experience working on landmarks including Bristol’s iconic Clifton Suspension bridge and the Royal Albert bridge in Plymouth.   

We understand the special place that these pieces of infrastructure hold in the hearts of local communities. They represent a gateway to the history of the area and a living place of the city’s heritage. We look forward to restoring this fantastic piece of Victorian engineering.”   

Nina Howe, Passenger Manager, Transport Focus said: “Passengers will welcome this investment in Bristol Temple Meads station. We know their satisfaction with the station had improved, but it was still lagging behind other major stations including Paddington and Reading. The refurbishment of the roof will go a long way to improve the overall environment for passengers. Network Rail and train operators will need to keep any disruption during the work to a minimum with visible, helpful staff on hand to provide support.” 

Best wishes

Tala Ghannam | Communications Executive
Network Rail | Temple Point | Redcliffe Way | Bristol | BS1 6NL

I am of a certain vintage that I can remember the last refurbishment of the roof glazing at TM(resolve). Unless the glazing is periodically cleaned the roof of the station will look just as bad as it is now, would not the deployment of a power wash jet clean the glazing as if I remember the last refurbishment proclaimed the roof was good for another 100 years and that was a mere 50 years ago unless a member posting on this forum can provide the actual date of the last refurbishment of the roof.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: