Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum
15.12.2019 - what changes?
Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
article index - [here]
 12/12/2019 - UK General Election
15/12/2019 - Santa Special - Melksham
15/12/2019 - GWR Timetable recast
16/12/2019 - Network Rail Surgery, BWT
24/12/2019 - No GWR trains, Paddington
25/12/2019 - No GWR trains (at all)
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
December 10, 2019, 02:38:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[86] Advent Quiz - 2019
[73] A week in Scotland - final 2019 travelogue
[56] Thames Valley and Great Western Omnibus Trust (www.tvagwot.org...
[46] What's happening on 15th December 2019?
[41] Calne branch - past, present, future
[38] Person hit by train 15/6
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 222432 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 28, 2019, 01:17:42 pm »

Thanks for the very clear summary.

If the northern entrance is to become the official main entrance, as well as the most popular, then it does make sense for buses to stop in the Friary rather than on the Incline. I agree with the taxidriver that it would be more convenient to have taxis and buses in the same area, but I wonder if there will be space. I also wonder how passengers to/from the buses will interact with those coming on foot or bike from the Valentine and Cheesegrater bridges: is there a plan to build a second footbridge across the 'moat'?

Finally, where is the Fish Dock siding? It sounds like there's going to be a footbridge across the Avon directly into the station?

Day return to Infinity, please.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 28, 2019, 01:54:54 pm »

Fishdock was/is the sidings on the right hand side of Platform two if you are looking towards the trains arriving from the weston direction
Red Squirrel
Global Moderator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 28, 2019, 02:07:54 pm »

Finally, where is the Fish Dock siding? It sounds like there's going to be a footbridge across the Avon directly into the station?

To expand on infoman's reply, the plan involves using the trackbed on the west side of the Cattle Market Road bridge. It wasn't clear whether this this meant taking out both tracks into the Platform 2 bay, or just the westernmost; I had imagined that P2 would be used for Portishead terminators but perhaps that's not necessary.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 28, 2019, 02:37:17 pm »

Thanks. Fish Dock perhaps makes more sense as a name than Platform 2, as I don't think I've ever seen a passenger service there. Mind you, maybe Yellow Engineering Train Dock would be most appropriate!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 28, 2019, 02:53:23 pm »

Thank you for that report. Does the removal of the subway represent the first stroke of "value engineering"? I thought that P0 and P1 were going to be for the via Parkway London services primarily, but unless P1 is extended, it won't hold a 9-car IET.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 28, 2019, 04:02:23 pm »

Thank you, very informative.

So, some speculation based on Red Squirrel's summary. 

- Using the Midland shed for a foyer is a neat trick as indeed, it avoids having to build over or under platforms 0 and 1. It's quite a big space and IIRC there are a row of windows on the northern side that could be unbricked for light. But I imagine that there is very little, if any, structural alteration that needs to be made to the listed shell. Which could make for speedy consenting and build. There's also the possibility of taking over the existing event space for offices etc.

- Furthermore, it should be possible to build the new foyer before the signal box is removed, which can't happen until various bits of track west of Bristol have been resignalled, which I believe is currently postponed. Also handy. However, that resignalling will facilitate electrification, so it's good news that platforms 0 and 1 are in the plan. I *think* that if the start of P0 and P1 are moved a little west of the current walkway there's just about enough space for a 10-car IET.

- I believe that a public walkway under the station was promised by the Council and University and work is planned to build it during the 2021 blockade.

- Busses - the only service that you'd really need to be on the Friary is the A1 and A2 towards the airport. The rest could conceivably all end up on Temple Gate, with the southbound stop used to berth the odd bus.

- Where the cycle hub would be is an interesting question. My guess is that the current car park between the station and the Friary will end up with a big glass box on it, and the ground floor of that box would be a load of retail and food chains, which might explain why Network Rail is so supportive of local businesses for a change.   

- The car parking will go on the Kwik-Fit site. Using the engineers' siding is a neat trick as it exits on the level next to the BTP offices, but as far as I can see, the platform face is still kept if required as there are two lines. I reckon you could just about get away with an entrance and exit into the roundabout to permit northbound exits with a bit of work and phasing of the lights.

One question though - was there any mention of electrification in the plans?
Red Squirrel
Global Moderator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 28, 2019, 05:03:17 pm »

Thank you for that report. Does the removal of the subway represent the first stroke of "value engineering"?

I don't think so - I think it was always going to be a big ask to create a public subway right under the station because that would require either a set of ticket barriers at every platform, or a whole new subway built through the vaults. As it is, there will be a new route along the Floating Harbour immediately to the north of the station, so anyone wanting to get round rather than into the station will at least have that as an option.

I thought that P0 and P1 were going to be for the via Parkway London services primarily, but unless P1 is extended, it won't hold a 9-car IET.

As soon as I saw the stubby little bay on the artist's impression, I thought 'Aha, that'll do for terminators coming in on the reliefs - Severn Beach, Henbury, Gloucester, Great Malvern... By my reckoning the platforms will be about 160m, so enough to accommodate a 5-car IET or a Castle set.

One question though - was there any mention of electrification in the plans?

No.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 28, 2019, 05:25:45 pm »

- Where the cycle hub would be is an interesting question. My guess is that the current car park between the station and the Friary will end up with a big glass box on it, and the ground floor of that box would be a load of retail and food chains, which might explain why Network Rail is so supportive of local businesses for a change.   
At the moment there's cycle parking in front of the BTP* station and on P2 (or 3? thereabouts). Not sure why the parking in front of BTP has to move?

*That's British Transport Police not Boston Tea Party, though it might be a good idea to have one of each onsite.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

Still want to be a train driver when I grow up

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 28, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »

Very interesting information. Did anyone stick their neck out with timescales for these changes? Are there any illustrations of the plans available yet.

Santa, I can explain
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
  Print  

Jump to: