Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:06:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 395010 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 27, 2020, 17:17:37 »

Sorry, I think that's a rather patronising and disappointing reply that doesn't encourage discussion but makes me feel slapped down.

That wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry for any offence. You were (as I see now re-reading your post) very clearly talking about the extended canopies rather than the overall roof, but somehow I missed that. My bad.

I think you are also suggesting that the fact that the main roof was badly repaired in 1986 does not excuse the lack of maintenance elsewhere. I would have to agree.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 27, 2020, 17:29:43 »

That wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry for any offence. You were (as I see now re-reading your post) very clearly talking about the extended canopies rather than the overall roof, but somehow I missed that. My bad.

I think you are also suggesting that the fact that the main roof was badly repaired in 1986 does not excuse the lack of maintenance elsewhere. I would have to agree.
Thanks for that, it's appreciated. I think the fact that several people had liked your post particularly wound me up, given the tone I read into it, hence my aggrieved response.
southwest
« Reply #617 on: June 27, 2020, 18:14:01 »

Thanks for that, it's appreciated. I think the fact that several people had liked your post particularly wound me up, given the tone I read into it, hence my aggrieved response.

It happens quite a lot on here, quite a few people either don't realise they are doing it or enjoy aggravating people, often the ons who have been on here the longest. It would just be nice if people thought about what they typed before typing.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2020, 18:30:15 »

It happens quite a lot on here, quite a few people either don't realise they are doing it or enjoy aggravating people, often the ons who have been on here the longest. It would just be nice if people thought about what they typed before typing.
I don't imagine for one moment that Red Squirrel was deliberately trying to aggravate me. Your second comment is undoubtedly true of social media generally, but I wouldn't say this forum is any worse than others, and actually probably a lot better. Still, the apology was very much appreciated and has been accepted, so the matter is closed as far as I am concerned.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2020, 18:50:55 »

I rather thought a misunderstanding had happened and been cleared [edit to add - thank you for confirming that, Celestial] ... moving on, with members better understanding each other.

Some of us old hands can indeed irritate - if I mention Melksham more than a couple of dozen times a day, for example. But there's no enjoyment with that irritation.   There are other times that we irritate or are sharp with others without realising it - you, too, southwest (and I have mentioned it once or twice) can do so. Let's understand than and talk on.  And if any of us, really, enjoy aggravating then perhaps this is not the place for us.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 28, 2020, 07:24:23 »

Spats are rare on this forum....more likely to be seen on gentlemen of a certain vintage, occupying a dining car eating fillet steak and drinking port.....hmmm, reminds me of someone..... Grin
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 20, 2020, 12:22:20 »

Not sure whether this merited a new thread but it links into development at Temple Meads, especially it's further transport links.  Although it's been covered a little in the past, Bristol Live have a fairly interesting article on the cable car idea that seems to have still not gone away. The proposal it to include Temple Meads in the system, link below.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/plans-cable-cars-between-bristol-4331798?fbclid=IwAR1PTla4iwN5JG-O4MN2pz1rckrWt3YbrpGfHiKzkBf0PVT34I7HQsbshUI
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 20, 2020, 21:15:31 »

Not sure whether this merited a new thread but it links into development at Temple Meads, especially it's further transport links.  Although it's been covered a little in the past, Bristol Live have a fairly interesting article on the cable car idea that seems to have still not gone away. The proposal it to include Temple Meads in the system, link below.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/plans-cable-cars-between-bristol-4331798?fbclid=IwAR1PTla4iwN5JG-O4MN2pz1rckrWt3YbrpGfHiKzkBf0PVT34I7HQsbshUI

It comes around most years, mid-summer. We had guided pods once, to break the monotony. Most grandiose plans for public transport for Bristol either fizzle out or turn into a couple of slightly amended, but fantastically expensive, bus routes.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2020, 22:41:12 »

The article indicates that Bristol City Council don't like it so it may not be that bad an idea after all.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2020, 10:54:24 »

The article indicates that Bristol City Council don't like it so it may not be that bad an idea after all.

If they do put in a planning application, BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)'s attitude will be very interesting.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2020, 11:24:04 »

If they do put in a planning application, BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)'s attitude will be very interesting.

The Bristol Live article says:

The council says Clifton Cable Company is welcome to progress its own planning application.

I'm not normally one who ascribes to this kind of theory, but it did leave me wondering whether the council makes a profit on planning applications. If so, they should do well out of this scheme.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 21, 2020, 11:30:52 »

News for cyclists from Network Rail.

Updates to cycle parking

Cycle parking on platforms 3 and 4 is being removed from Sunday 6 September 2020, to allow for renovations and for station security.

Any bikes left on the station platform will be moved to a secure location on Sunday 6 September 2020. If your bike is among those moved, please contact a member of station staff by Friday 6 November 2020.

All cycle parking on Station Approach will remain and a new facility is being built. Further details will be confirmed soon – please watch this space.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 21, 2020, 12:02:46 »

I'm not normally one who ascribes to this kind of theory, but it did leave me wondering whether the council makes a profit on planning applications. If so, they should do well out of this scheme.
All planning applications attract a fee, the bigger the application, the larger the fee. There is an upper limit on fees but I don't know what the current limit is. So yes, BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) will make money from any application but they will also have to spend money dealing with it. Whether they will make a profit is another matter and I doubt if any one can give an answer to that

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 21, 2020, 12:51:55 »

They probably don't, especially not if the cost of defending appeals against meritless decisions is taken into account. An example is the refusal of the McDonalds in Fishponds. Leaving aside the merits or otherwise of the food dispensed by that company's franchise holders, the application was not to build a McDonalds, but for demolition of an existing warehouse and construction of two-storey restaurant. That was in keeping with national and local planning frameworks and was recommended for approval by the planning officer. It was refused because of a loud protest, which persuaded the planning committee that it could cost them their seats, with the subsequent appeal costing BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) a figure north of £100,000. Such is the price of popularity democracy.

That said, would this idea need one application for a transport network, or lots of individual ones for a pylon, ticket office, ice cream stall, toilets for all appropriate categories etc?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 13:16:13 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 04, 2020, 14:19:08 »

NEW BIKE STORAGE AT TEMPLE MEADS BRANDED ‘SEXIST INFRASTRUCTURE’

Anybody whose bike is still locked to the stands inside Bristol Temple Meads has until Sunday to remove it.

The stands next to platforms four and seven are closing both due to renovations and station security, according to Network Rail. Any bikes left on the platforms will be moved to a secure location on Sunday and can be collected until November 6.

Replacement cycle racks being installed outside the station on Friary have already come in for criticism from a city council cabinet member for transport.

[...]

Former cabinet member Mhairi Threlfall... said: “Dear @networkrail why on earth have you opted for these? My bike has very high handle bars so will not fit, I reckon this will be similar for many women let alone the pure weight of my bike means I can never use the top slider, the curved roof is a nonsense. #sexistinfrastructure”

Full article
Source: Bristol 24/7

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: