Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:24:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 395022 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: October 25, 2020, 11:38:47 »

Speaking of Bristol East Junction, the orange army is hard at work this weekend.

https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1320315783629721600

(I'm not sure how to embed this, so just click.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 12:14:51 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 12, 2020, 17:15:57 »

Just noted a planning application (Bristol City Council 20/03845/F) for a new storage building for Arriva TrainCare at Days Road. This scheme:

...would deliver a modern storage unit which would be used ancillary to the railway depot. The proposed building would replace the existing poor-quality stores that will be demolished as part of the remodelling of the running tracks, required by the upgrading of Temple Meads Station. The proposed store therefore has wider implications for the delivery of improvements to Bristol Temple Meads Station and sustainable transport in the area.

The buildings to go are the long thin structures between the carriage washer and Days Road; the new building will sit on the SIM-card-shaped rectangular bund at the top of this view: https://goo.gl/maps/mU1j1ABAXbRK2pej8

This work is presumably related to the Bristol East remodelling.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 04, 2021, 16:12:55 »

WORK STARTS ON REFURBISHMENT OF HISTORIC TEMPLE MEADS ROOF

Platforms two and three at Bristol Temple Meads are currently out of action as work begins to refurbish the roof of the main train shed.

Over Christmas, a team from Network Rail installed foundations and are starting to erect scaffolding towers, with the installation due to continue on Saturday nights during 2021.

Once complete, these towers will support a huge safety screen while refurbishment work on the historic roof is carried out overhead.

The roof renovations at Temple Meads are due to last until 2023.

...continues
Source: Bristol 24/7

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 04, 2021, 19:54:42 »

WORK STARTS ON REFURBISHMENT OF HISTORIC TEMPLE MEADS ROOF

Platforms two and three at Bristol Temple Meads are currently out of action as work begins to refurbish the roof of the main train shed.

When was platform 2 last used, other than for parking?

Fixed quotes - RS
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 21:08:16 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Now, please!
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 05, 2021, 12:31:28 »

With such little space for anything at Temple Meads I wonder if anyone ever thought of splitting the roof area into a new upper level that could have been used for retail / offices etc?

Massive initial cost, but would have brought so much needed additional space
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 05, 2021, 14:59:51 »

With such little space for anything at Temple Meads I wonder if anyone ever thought of splitting the roof area into a new upper level that could have been used for retail / offices etc?

I suspect the station's Grade 1 listed status pretty well rules out any significant changes to the building, though some kind of mezzanine might work.

When was platform 2 last used, other than for parking?

Platform 2 is the old Motorail bay at the Portishead end of the station. I think Bristol 24/7 have allowed themselves to get confused!

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 05, 2021, 18:06:36 »

With the retail space market struggling with all the retail failures, and an oversupply of office space even in "thriving" centres, I imagine that the forecast rental returns from space with compromises forced on it by the need to respect features of an important historic listed building are unlikely to be attractive.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 06, 2021, 09:10:06 »

Platform 2 is the old Motorail bay at the Portishead end of the station. I think Bristol 24/7 have allowed themselves to get confused!

Wot I thought too.

Now, please!
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 27, 2021, 22:18:58 »

Here's a heads-up for you all. And well in advance too.

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s website, in its engineering works section, states that work will be taking place from "Bristol Temple Meads to Lawrence Hill/Patchway" between Saturday 10th July and Friday 06th August. I gather from another forum that this closure will only be for part of the work though!

HTIOI,
Dave
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 23:02:43 by DaveHarries » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 27, 2021, 23:12:41 »

Here's a heads-up for you all. And well in advance too.

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s website, in its engineering works section, states that work will be taking place from "Bristol Temple Meads to Lawrence Hill/Patchway" between Saturday 10th July and Friday 06th August. Presumably this will be the remodelling of Bristol East Junction along with all associated works (signalling, etc.)

HTIOI,
Dave

The EAS confirms this is when Bristol East is scheduled, saying for week 15 (from 10th July):
BRISTOL EAST 8 WEEK CORE BLOCKADE. PART 1
OF 8.

POSSESSION CONTINUES AS P2021/2688025

MAJOR TIMETABLE AMENDMENTS REQUIRED.

THROUGH ROUTE AVAILABLE VIA RHUBARB
CURVES THROUGHOUT [APART FROM DURING
NBS PERIOD].

SERVICES BETWEEN FILTON BANK AND TEMPLE
MEADS TO REVERSE IN BRISTOL EAST DEPOT
AREA [APART FROM DURING NBS PERIOD].

NO ACCESS TO BARTON HILL DEPOT FOR
DURATION.

NBS is "no booked services".

Now, you'll have spotted that 8 weeks goes well past the 8th August. Part two starts with this comment for week 19:
BRISTOL EAST 8 WEEK CORE BLOCKADE. PART 5
OF 8.

THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF P2021/2688027.

POSSESSION CONTINUES AS P2021/2688177.

MAJOR TIMETABLE ALTERATIONS REQUIRED.

FROM 0100 SAT

NO ACCESS TO TEMPLE MEADS FROM THE EAST
/ FILTON BANK. THROUGH ROUTE AVAILIBLE VIA
RHUBARB CURVES. PLATFORMS 8, 10, 12 AND 15
AVAILABLE AS WEST FACING BAYS ONLY. NO
ROUTE EXISTS THROUGH TEMPLE MEADS.

0100 SUN TO 0400 MON

NO ACCESSS TO TEMPLE MEADS.

SERVICES TO WEST OF ENGLAND TO DIVERT VIA
WESTBURY.

SERVICES TO TERMINATE AT BATH SPA.

NO SERVICES ON FILTON BANK OR SEVERN
BEACH BRANCH.

RAIL REPLACEMENT SERVICES REQUIRED.

ACCESS TO BBHT, AVONMOUTH AND
SEVERNSIDE SITA VIA CHARLTON TUNNEL /
HALLEN MARSH JN ONLY.

ACCESS TO ST PHILLIPS MARSH DEPOT VIA
BRISTOL WEST ONLY, TO/FROM COUNTRY.

FROM 0400 MON

NO ACCESS TO TEMPLE MEADS FROM THE EAST
/ FILTON BANK. THROUGH ROUTE AVAILABLE VIA
RHUBARB CURVES. PLATFORMS 8, 10, 12 AND 15
AVAILABLE AS WEST FACING BAYS ONLY. NO
ROUTE EXISTS THROUGH TEMPLE MEADS.

NO ACCESS TO BARTON HILL DEPOT FOR
DURATION.

The final end date appears to be 9th September. The details vary week by week, with different platforms being out of use. You'd need to go through the whole lot carefully to find out exactly what's in use - or wait for the service information later.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 27, 2021, 23:31:34 »

If my recollections are correct, the construction of the new entrance on the former PO sorting office side of the station was supposed to be carried out to coincide with these closures. This might have changed off course.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 28, 2021, 12:39:51 »

If my recollections are correct, the construction of the new entrance on the former PO sorting office side of the station was supposed to be carried out to coincide with these closures. This might have changed off course.

I'm intrigued what will happen to the shop that currently stands in place of the new entrance, closing down or being moved?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 28, 2021, 13:32:21 »

I'm intrigued what will happen to the shop that currently stands in place of the new entrance, closing down or being moved?

I don't think there's any operational reason to link these activities, is there? They'll need to knock down a couple of walls, but they won't be digging any new tunnels.

The shop will be slap bang in the way. Presumably it is on a short lease!

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 28, 2021, 14:07:51 »

I don't think there's any operational reason to link these activities, is there? They'll need to knock down a couple of walls, but they won't be digging any new tunnels.

It was a while back now but I thought some of the necessary work was deliberately scheduled to coincide with some of the platform closures related to the upcoming works.  I think that it was mentioned on this forum some while back.....I think!

Edit:
There seems to have been mention of this issue on this thread circa June 2019.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 14:29:55 by johnneyw » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 28, 2021, 14:11:21 »

Or was that works on the roof?

It was a while back now but I thought some of the necessary work was deliberately scheduled to coincide with some of the platform closures related to the upcoming works.  I think that it was mentioned on this forum some while back.....I think!

Edit: That was an interesting challenge! I think I have succeeded in fixing the quotes such that everything is assigned to the right people - RS
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 17:25:58 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: