Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:03:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394939 times)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 28, 2021, 21:55:45 »

Here's a heads-up for you all. And well in advance too.

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s website, in its engineering works section, states that work will be taking place from "Bristol Temple Meads to Lawrence Hill/Patchway" between Saturday 10th July and Friday 06th August. Presumably this will be the remodelling of Bristol East Junction along with all associated works (signalling, etc.)

HTIOI,
Dave

The EAS confirms this is when Bristol East is scheduled, saying for week 15 (from 10th July):
BRISTOL EAST 8 WEEK CORE BLOCKADE. PART 1
OF 8.

POSSESSION CONTINUES AS P2021/2688025

MAJOR TIMETABLE AMENDMENTS REQUIRED.

THROUGH ROUTE AVAILABLE VIA RHUBARB
CURVES THROUGHOUT [APART FROM DURING
NBS PERIOD].

SERVICES BETWEEN FILTON BANK AND TEMPLE
MEADS TO REVERSE IN BRISTOL EAST DEPOT
AREA [APART FROM DURING NBS PERIOD].

NO ACCESS TO BARTON HILL DEPOT FOR
DURATION.

NBS is "no booked services".

Now, you'll have spotted that 8 weeks goes well past the 8th August. Part two starts with this comment for week 19:
BRISTOL EAST 8 WEEK CORE BLOCKADE. PART 5
OF 8.

THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF P2021/2688027.

POSSESSION CONTINUES AS P2021/2688177.

MAJOR TIMETABLE ALTERATIONS REQUIRED.

FROM 0100 SAT

NO ACCESS TO TEMPLE MEADS FROM THE EAST
/ FILTON BANK. THROUGH ROUTE AVAILIBLE VIA
RHUBARB CURVES. PLATFORMS 8, 10, 12 AND 15
AVAILABLE AS WEST FACING BAYS ONLY. NO
ROUTE EXISTS THROUGH TEMPLE MEADS.

0100 SUN TO 0400 MON

NO ACCESSS TO TEMPLE MEADS.

SERVICES TO WEST OF ENGLAND TO DIVERT VIA
WESTBURY.

SERVICES TO TERMINATE AT BATH SPA.

NO SERVICES ON FILTON BANK OR SEVERN
BEACH BRANCH.

RAIL REPLACEMENT SERVICES REQUIRED.

ACCESS TO BBHT, AVONMOUTH AND
SEVERNSIDE SITA VIA CHARLTON TUNNEL /
HALLEN MARSH JN ONLY.

ACCESS TO ST PHILLIPS MARSH DEPOT VIA
BRISTOL WEST ONLY, TO/FROM COUNTRY.

FROM 0400 MON

NO ACCESS TO TEMPLE MEADS FROM THE EAST
/ FILTON BANK. THROUGH ROUTE AVAILABLE VIA
RHUBARB CURVES. PLATFORMS 8, 10, 12 AND 15
AVAILABLE AS WEST FACING BAYS ONLY. NO
ROUTE EXISTS THROUGH TEMPLE MEADS.

NO ACCESS TO BARTON HILL DEPOT FOR
DURATION.

The final end date appears to be 9th September. The details vary week by week, with different platforms being out of use. You'd need to go through the whole lot carefully to find out exactly what's in use - or wait for the service information later.
Many thanks for this. I use trains as part of my day job so this is going to be fun!

Dave
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 30, 2021, 17:27:27 »

Someone has put this on a different forum and it shows the planned layout after the works in comparison to the layout now. Shared here in case anyone is interested.

Dave
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 30, 2021, 19:16:59 »

Does the platform 0 project need the panel box to go first?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 30, 2021, 20:19:17 »

Does the platform 0 project need the panel box to go first?

Yes. As does the extension of p 1.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 05, 2021, 17:42:33 »

Bit slow to spot this, but if you go to https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications and search for 20/05380/LA you'll see the plans for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) eastern entrance!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2021, 22:08:53 »

Bit slow to spot this, but if you go to https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications and search for 20/05380/LA you'll see the plans for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) eastern entrance!

Thank you for that and in the words of one of Arte Johnson's comic creations "very interesting"!
The canopy work was something that I was not aware of but explains earlier talk of this work coinciding with line closures during the Bristol East resignalling....if that still happens.
I had no idea that the existing GPO(resolve) tunnel swings off so sharply to the left.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 05, 2021, 22:34:45 »

Yes, I had no idea that they'd have to (carefully and temporarily) remove sections of the canopy.

You can rest assured that the Bristol East work (rather more than just resignalling) is happening. The programme of works will take place over this summer, and will include some significant blockades over an 8-week period: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/western/bristol-rail-regeneration/

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 06, 2021, 01:30:12 »

Yes, I had no idea that they'd have to (carefully and temporarily) remove sections of the canopy.

You can rest assured that the Bristol East work (rather more than just resignalling) is happening. The programme of works will take place over this summer, and will include some significant blockades over an 8-week period: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/western/bristol-rail-regeneration/

Ah yes, I too am confident about the Briz East work going on.  It's the canopy and east entrance work being done at the same time that I was rather less sure about.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #683 on: February 06, 2021, 09:00:35 »

Indeed.  The twice-a-year timetable briefings / discussions for the central area at which community stakeholders put forward ideas took place last week. With lockdown and so many changes, it was a lot different from the usual menu of looking at specific stops, stations, connections, aspirations for the current timetable cycle.  However, GWR (Great Western Railway) (thank you, if reading this!) took the opportunity to fill the attendees in on wider issues including the engineering at Bristol.   

Red Squirrel's link is probably the best early pointer at the moment - but to summarise lots and lots of work, including an extra track to take away the 3 track section which is now the bottleneck with Filton Bank having 4 tracks, and layout changes that make the whole shooting match a lot more flexible, with new signal gantries high enough to let overhead electric wires pass under them should that even happen.

There are so many phases and different set-ups during the engineering that my head hurt.  Probably best to summarise them  as they get clarified in a few weeks. A number of issues flagged up at the briefing which are still under consideration / being worked on to help ensure it all works.    "Could it have been brought forward and done while the passenger numbers were low" was asked ... "no - too complex to be able to organise more quickly" is the answer. Yes, it is known that the works will be happening with service disruptions at the same time that there's likely to be a surge of domestic leisure travel.

[Edit: I'm sure he meant 'Filton', not 'Dilton'. I don't think there are any plans to four-track Dilton Marsh - RS]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:20:40 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 05, 2021, 12:51:31 »

A little light reading: https://www.bristoltemplequarter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/BTQDF-Exec-Summary-Template.pdf

The Bristol Temple Quarter and St Philip’s Marsh Regeneration Programme is one of the largest city centre housing and employment schemes in the UK (United Kingdom). Our vision for the immediate area around Temple Meads train station is to create a sustainable and flourishing new urban area, a place that is welcoming to all – to live, work, study, enjoy leisure time and builds on Bristol’s strengths as a world class city.

With Bristol Temple Meads station at its heart the Temple Quarter and St Philip’s regeneration programme will redevelop over 130 hectares of brownfield land in two development phases over 25 years.

The regeneration will create up to 10,000 homes and up to 22,000 jobs across several thriving mixed use communities in the areas around and to the east of Temple Meads station. As well as creating new places to live and work the development will unlock benefits for local communities and businesses.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 13:54:55 by Red Squirrel » Logged

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 05, 2021, 19:50:32 »

At first sight it seems to have abandoned the idea of reopening the Midland Train shed as platforms - am I correct?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 05, 2021, 20:57:04 »

At first sight it seems to have abandoned the idea of reopening the Midland Train shed as platforms - am I correct?

Yes; this became clear back in December 2019 when the Mott McDonald masterplan was made public. The Midland Shed will become the main entrance hall for the station, with the northern entrance becoming the main way in. That still allows for Platform 1 and a new Platform 0 to accommodate 5-car trains; these platforms will serve the relief lines towards Parkway, Severn Beach and Henbury so it makes sense that local services rather than the earlier-mooted London trains will terminate here.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 05, 2021, 21:19:16 »

Yes; this became clear back in December 2019 when the Mott McDonald masterplan was made public. The Midland Shed will become the main entrance hall for the station, with the northern entrance becoming the main way in. That still allows for Platform 1 and a new Platform 0 to accommodate 5-car trains; these platforms will serve the relief lines towards Parkway, Severn Beach and Henbury so it makes sense that local services rather than the earlier-mooted London trains will terminate here.

I think the idea was to run London trains via Badminton from platforms 1 and 0. That did seem a little wasteful, given that there was only the intention of a half-hourly service on that. Crosscountry use P1 now for some Manchester trains, but the length of that round trip makes for a full shift with a break for the crew to have a meal, and the train isn't hogging a through platform while they eat. That isn't the way the London services work as a rule. It also means there will be no need for a pedestrian subway from Friary, but part of me still thinks it could be an opportunity lost. I can't explain why with any real logic.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #688 on: March 31, 2021, 23:44:24 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Bristol Temple Meads railway station gets £10.2m upgrade

Businesses are expected to benefit from the £10.2m upgrade, with much of the money set to be spent on local companies

Bristol Temple Meads railway station is set to get a £10.2m upgrade.

The station will be completely rewired, with new heating, cooling and ventilation systems also installed and an upgrade to the lighting.

It is hoped the work will make the Grade I-listed station more energy efficient and "a brighter, greener environment".

Maxine Prydderch, Network Rail project manager, said passengers will benefit as more shops could be opened.

The Bristol Rail Regeneration programme will see Network Rail rewire Temple Meads station, lay new tracks and restore the roof

"It's really exciting to see further investment being made at Bristol Temple Meads station," Ms Prydderch added.

"As well as modernising the station's electrical system, the rewire will also benefit passengers as it may allow for potential future expansion of retail units within the station itself, in turn generating further jobs."

Plans are also under way for further "platform enhancements" including new customer information screens, upgraded public announcement systems, additional CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and the introduction of a free WiFi network for passengers to use throughout the station.

The Victorian main train shed roof and platform canopies are also due to be restored

The upgrade is being carried out in support of a wider Bristol rail regeneration programme which started earlier this year.

SSE(resolve) Enterprise Contracting will be delivering the work and will use local labour, supply chains and businesses.

Work on the rewire is set to start in October and expected to be completed in 2023, alongside the restoration of the Victorian main train shed roof and platform canopies.

Network Rail said it had not yet awarded contracts for all of the elements of the upgrade and restoration works, but the cost of the rewire and roof restoration was around £60m.

Good news!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 01, 2021, 11:20:40 »

Good news!  Grin

It is, isn't it!

I'm just a bit confused as to why it seems that the various bits of work are being done in disjointed packages - Bristol East Jct, BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) roof repairs, re-wiring and the eastern entrance are funded and underway, but other projects (Platform 0, northern entrance, restoration of 'old' main entrance) aren't. Weren't projects like St Pancras and Reading done as as a single, co-ordinated exercise? What's different about Temple Meads?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: