Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:11:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394900 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: September 04, 2021, 10:47:39 »

Major track upgrade completed at Bristol East Junction

The completion of this project has resulted in a clever new track layout and state of the art signalling equipment, meaning passengers will experience better journeys when travelling to and from Bristol Temple Meads station.

Network Rail has completed its major upgrade of Bristol East Junction, removing a bottleneck into Bristol Temple Meads and replacing the 1960s track and components. This will allow more trains to enter and exit the station, increase capacity, reduce congestion and help make journeys more reliable.

This work was completed as planned yesterday (Friday) evening with all railway lines into and out of Bristol Temple Meads reopening and train services resuming normal operations this morning (Saturday).

This £132m Department for Transport-funded project started on Saturday 10 July and over the past eight weeks Network Rail engineers have worked day and night using a total of 50 engineering trains to replace over 5km of track, install over 300 track panels and lay around 26,000 tonnes of ballast (the stones that support the track).

An additional line has been introduced which paves the way to support new suburban services in the future as part of the West of England Combined Authority’s (WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)) MetroWest scheme. Once complete, this scheme will provide over 4,000 additional seats on trains every day in the area, making Bristol Temple Meads a key transport hub in the western region.

Also as part of the upgrade, an old signalling gantry has been removed and a new gantry, installed over the Christmas period last year (2020), has been brought online.

Follow up work to the remodelled junction will take place on Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 September affecting trains towards Bristol Parkway on the Saturday and towards Bath Spa on the Sunday.

During this time, there will be changes to train services and passengers are reminded to check before travelling and where possible plan ahead for their journeys. For more information and for the latest timetable changes, please visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/Bristol or crosscountrytrains.co.uk/Bristol

The completion of this track upgrade work is part of the wider Bristol Rail Regeneration programme that will see a number of improvements to the iconic Bristol Temple Meads station over the next three years, representing a major investment in sustainable transport in the region and creating a major transport hub that will serve millions of passengers each year and support business right across the region.

Mike Gallop, Network Rail’s Western route director, said: “I am delighted we have completed this important upgrade work which, now finished, will bring great benefits to passengers, particularly more trains, more seats and more reliable journeys.

“This was a highly complex piece of engineering that has taken several years to plan and we would like to thank passengers and local residents for their patience and understanding over the past eight weeks while we have completed this work.

“The upgrade of Bristol East Junction is just one aspect of our wider Bristol Rail Regeneration programme of work that is transforming the station and railway in Bristol for the benefit of passengers, the city and West of England region.”

Richard Rowland, GWR customer service and operations director, said: “We are very grateful to our passengers who have shown great patience and understanding during this work to create an infrastructure fit for the future of our rail services.

“This work will help us to deliver 4,000 more train seats a day into the city, on more services through Bristol; starting with the introduction of half-hourly services on the Severn Beach line later this year.”

Tom Joyner, CrossCountry’s managing director, said: “After years of planning it’s great that Network Rail have completed these works, which will deliver so much for people using this station. We know these big projects can be an inconvenience and would like to thank everyone for their patience over the last two months.

“The improvements to the tracks into the station will help us ensure our trains arrive and depart on time, providing a quality journey experience for our long-distance customers travelling to and through Bristol. Combined with the additional works planned, Bristol Temple Meads will again be a fitting gateway to the West of England.”
Source: Network Rail

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 04, 2021, 11:45:55 »

Compare and contrast:

Bristol Temple Meads upheaval ends as upgrade work completed

A £140m scheme to increase capacity into Bristol Temple Meads station is due to be completed by the weekend.

Passengers have faced eight weeks of bus replacement services and timetable changes while the work was carried out.
BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Multi-million scheme to remove Temple Meads train 'bottleneck' is completed

The improvements will increase capacity, reduce congestion and help make train journeys more reliable
Bristol Live

Am I being oversensitive, or have the BBC's subeditors once again tried to make a very positive rail story sound a bit negative?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 04, 2021, 12:47:35 »

It reminds me of someone I was at school with, who went on to get an engineering degree and joined BR (British Rail(ways))'s engineering department, working at what was then still the London Division of the Western Region.

He spoke with pride of the high standards of his department, the quality of the work and the accuracy to which thay carried out their work. But then, he said, they spoilt it all by running trains over it....
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 04, 2021, 15:40:47 »

Compare and contrast:

Bristol Temple Meads upheaval ends as upgrade work completed

A £140m scheme to increase capacity into Bristol Temple Meads station is due to be completed by the weekend.

Passengers have faced eight weeks of bus replacement services and timetable changes while the work was carried out.
BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Multi-million scheme to remove Temple Meads train 'bottleneck' is completed

The improvements will increase capacity, reduce congestion and help make train journeys more reliable
Bristol Live

Am I being oversensitive, or have the BBC's subeditors once again tried to make a very positive rail story sound a bit negative?

They've added £8 million for a start. It was the same with the Totnes bridge strike - the Spotlight on the spot reporter kept on and on about "Oooos gonna pay for it", getting the answer "I'm an engineer - I fix railways and someone else deals with the money" a few times.

Is the extra line mentioned in the report the on that will eventually lead into Platform 0?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 15:51:22 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 04, 2021, 18:39:09 »

[...]
Is the extra line mentioned in the report the on[e] that will eventually lead into Platform 0?

The simple answer to that is 'yes'.

The extra track is on the 'suburban', low-numbered-platform side of Temple Meads that leads most directly to the Up and Down Filton Relief lines.

In the current Severn Beach line timetable, it takes 12 minutes to get from Montpelier to Temple Meads but only 8 minutes to make the return journey. It'll be interesting to see if this disparity is still there after December...

TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 04, 2021, 20:55:48 »

Just wondering when the half hourly cross country services will commence
When the fairies provide Cross Country with some more Voyagers so that the trains don't end up like the Tokyo metro again.

That means waiting for West coast to give up their Voyagers and possibly East Midland Railway to release some Meridians. Unfortunatly the cracking problems and Covid are likley to delay the replacments for West coast and East Midland Railway from Hitachi.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 07, 2021, 16:00:28 »

When the fairies provide Cross Country with some more Voyagers so that the trains don't end up like the Tokyo metro again.

Nothing wrong with the Tokyo Metro

although it can get a little intimate onboard.

Now, please!
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 07, 2021, 21:52:27 »

although it can get a little intimate onboard.

There's more space on there than there was on the 16:45 Bournmouth-Manchester when departing Basingstoke at 17:47 in pre Covid days.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 08, 2021, 09:25:03 »

I was going to say, it looks less crowded than many metros in smaller cities.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 10, 2021, 10:22:05 »

Meanwhile, back at Temple Meads  Wink :

Colas rail have tweeted this drone footage, which shows the flighting of the Filtons* rather nicely:

https://twitter.com/ColasRailUK/status/1436238089769439232

*not to be confused with the Axis of Awesome

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 10, 2021, 11:13:39 »

I was rather expecting a Wagnerian soundtrack.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Sulis John

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 10, 2021, 18:26:10 »

I know there were lots of other reasons for doing the work, but it doesn't seem to have solved the problems of conflicting movements causing delays (which when the through services from Parkway to the Avon Valley already take an appalling 50 minutes for the 17 miles to Bath is very frustrating and not exactly designed to encourage people to let the train take the strain). Every day this week one or other of my trains up or down the bank has been held before one or other of the crossovers. Will not reinstating platforms on the "fast lines" at Stapleton Road (at least - if not also Lawrence Hill) prove to be a false economy?
I also noticed at Parkway yesterday that although the former terminators from Weston were cut back to Filton for capacity reasons, there appears to be no problem leaving a terminating London service stabled in a platform for the best part of an hour and a half
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 10, 2021, 18:52:20 »

With the work now done, I expect future timetables will be honed a little to make use of the benefits of the revised layout.

Though with the number of reversing trains needed to cross over at some point between Filton and Temple Meads you’ll never remove potential conflicts entirely without grade separation…and there was no room (or money) for anything that extravagant.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 15, 2021, 15:40:54 »

Just been to Temple Meads.  Thought that I'd take a quick look at platform 15.  It looks like the removed canopy section is beginning to be returned.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 15, 2021, 15:42:40 »

While I'm at it, this was the bit that was "cut and covered".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: