Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:16:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394343 times)
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: October 02, 2022, 21:47:31 »

Is this affecting the offices/spaces in Engine Shed, does anyone know?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the freehold on the Brunel's old station portion of the site passed from Bristol City Council back to Network Rail a year or so ago. Don't believe that the Engine Shed, nursery etc are affected but they did kick out a community bike repair place, to which it turned out BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) had never given a proper lease.

If they are following the plans shown in the consultation, once the new car park is build on the Kwik-Fit site they will remove the parking in the old train shed, which was once going to be reopened for express London services. The plan seemed to be to refurbish the old train shed as a concourse in a 'light touch' way by creating free-standing units in the space, but leaving the fabric of the building largely unaltered.

The new vehicle access will require a T-junction onto the Bath Road, so it seems quite likely that BCC will use it as a pretext to rebuild the roundabout. It's  been suggested that they are looking for an excuse to grab the Fowlers' motorcycles site as part of the Mead Street residential redevelopment. I believe too that along with adding bus lanes to Redcliffe Way, BCC want to replace the Redcliffe roundabout with a more compact junction, in part so they can build on the car park opposite St Mary Redcliffe.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 02, 2022, 23:48:41 »

...the old train shed, which was once going to be reopened for express London services. The plan seemed to be to refurbish the old train shed as a concourse in a 'light touch' way by creating free-standing units in the space, but leaving the fabric of the building largely unaltered.

There was once talk of running London trains from the old train shed, but this would have created difficulty in opening up the northern entrance because a footbridge or subway would have been required, which would have been above or below the level of the new concourse in the old station shed. There's also the added complication that these platforms would naturally lead towards the Filton Reliefs, which is not the best place for London-bound trains to be heading. I suspect that this idea was never really a goer.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 03, 2022, 11:08:39 »

Thanks. I was just wondering about the Engine Shed because my son attended a college there, which moved rather suddenly this January, so I was wondering if there might be some connection. It seems not.

I didn't realize the plan to run Londons from the old train shed had been abandoned, though the same problem regarding pointing at the Filton reliefs had occurred to me. And on a slightly abstract note, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the plan was to make this a new Platform 0. But wouldn't it really have required two platforms, in which case the other one would be, logically, Platform -1? This doesn't sound like a good numbering scheme!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 03, 2022, 17:31:40 »

Thanks. I was just wondering about the Engine Shed because my son attended a college there, which moved rather suddenly this January, so I was wondering if there might be some connection. It seems not.

I didn't realize the plan to run Londons from the old train shed had been abandoned, though the same problem regarding pointing at the Filton reliefs had occurred to me. And on a slightly abstract note, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the plan was to make this a new Platform 0. But wouldn't it really have required two platforms, in which case the other one would be, logically, Platform -1? This doesn't sound like a good numbering scheme!

My understanding (and forgive me if this is a bit inaccurate as I'm a really bad note-taker) is that the option of expanding and adding platforms is still open. As I remember it, the suggestion is that an extended existing Platform 1 and a new Platform 0 could, between them, accommodate 5 and 9-car trains once the old Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box) has gone. I take this to mean that the current Platform 1 would be extended at its western end to accommodate 5-car trains and a new Platform 0 to its north could accommodate 9-car trains, by extending over the bridge.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 03, 2022, 17:58:16 »

There was once talk of running London trains from the old train shed, but this would have created difficulty in opening up the northern entrance because a footbridge or subway would have been required, which would have been above or below the level of the new concourse in the old station shed. There's also the added complication that these platforms would naturally lead towards the Filton Reliefs, which is not the best place for London-bound trains to be heading. I suspect that this idea was never really a goer.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the initial plan was for 2 tph to head for Paddington via Bath from the easternmost platforms, with a further 2 tph leaving from an extended P1 and new P0 in the Digby Wyatt bit, heading for London via Bristol Parkway and the Badminton route. A spanking new underpass with ticket hall and shopping to rival the airport's duty free gauntlet was mooted. The idea of P0 was first for the chop, followed by the spanky new underpass, leaving just the extended P1 with buffers just before the walkway into the car park. That would just about fit a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train), according to a leading optimist with a borrowed tape measure, but not conjoined 5-cars.
It's the usual Bristol saga of starting with the magnificent then whittling it down. Hopefully, it won't end up as buses.

Edit: Apologies, RS, I had the doorbell ring before I hit the button.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #845 on: October 03, 2022, 22:58:53 »

But wouldn't it really have required two platforms, in which case the other one would be, logically, Platform -1? This doesn't sound like a good numbering scheme!

Why not?  At school we had one corridor with classrooms 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 and -1 and it didn't cause a problem.  Mind you, I went to a somewhat selective school, so perhaps it might cause problems in public ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 04, 2022, 07:21:47 »

Why not?  At school we had one corridor with classrooms 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 and -1 and it didn't cause a problem.  Mind you, I went to a somewhat selective school, so perhaps it might cause problems in public ...

You are Jacob Ress Mogg, and I claim my five guineas.

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 04, 2022, 08:39:39 »

But wouldn't it really have required two platforms, in which case the other one would be, logically, Platform -1? This doesn't sound like a good numbering scheme!

I supose there could be a platform 1 for 5 car and a 1 3/4 for 9 car  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #848 on: October 04, 2022, 09:08:21 »

Numbers are a mess - 11 and 12 are the same platform, and platform 14 isn't between 13 and 15 - it's at the bottom of station approach.   Wouldn't find a similar confusion elsewhere - or would you?   

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 04, 2022, 10:13:01 »

Numbers are a mess - 11 and 12 are the same platform, and platform 14 isn't between 13 and 15 - it's at the bottom of station approach.   Wouldn't find a similar confusion elsewhere - or would you?   

I hadn't come across Platform 14 before. If you think that's confusing, you would have been completely bewildered back in the (eighties?)when the old station building at Clifton Down was trading as the Platform 1 Nightclub, despite clearly being on Platform 2. In an earlier incarnation, it was known as 'Boobs'. Ah, those 1970's... It's now called 'Steam'. One day, hopefully, it may become 'Electric'!

Aside from that the layout of Temple Meads doesn't seem that wild or wacky to me! Though it would be nice to see Platform 2 back in use (to left of P4 on map), to would add to the symmetry

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/images/content/rsz_4bristol_temple_meade_1080x1920px.jpg

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 04, 2022, 10:58:27 »

All sorts of reasons: Negativity, non-existence, fictionality, weirdness...

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 04, 2022, 12:47:51 »

Has all the track and signalling been completed yet?   If it has and the platform numbers were left in that state that would Suprise me, the staging of renewals it is often decided to limit the alterations to data bases until the end because there can be a knock-on effect elsewhere

Edit: Fixed quote (Red Squirrel)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 14:59:41 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 04, 2022, 15:28:19 »

Has all the track and signalling been completed yet?   If it has and the platform numbers were left in that state that would Suprise me, the staging of renewals it is often decided to limit the alterations to data bases until the end because there can be a knock-on effect elsewhere

Edit: Fixed quote (Red Squirrel)

Just to be clear, grahame's joking about Platform 14. It's a bit of an in-joke as BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) has no Platform 14; the name has been used for a venue within that part of the Old Station which is not going to return to operational use. It's a bit of a silly name, IMHO (in my humble opinion), because you can imagine people assuming it is actually somewhere near Platform 13 or 15 of the operational station which, of course, it isn't - it's about 250m to the west.

Platforms 11 and 12, like all BRI's split platforms, are signalled as two platforms. All is explained in this document: https://www.giocondarail.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Bristol-Temple-Meads-Print.pdf

The track and signalling work is substantially (possibly totally) complete. The potential lengthening of Platform 1 and potential addition of Platform 0 are unfunded aspirations and so do not form part of any current plan.

Why is there no P.14? I'm sure it's been covered before on this forum, but the simple answer is that platforms on the London side of the subway are odd-numbered while those on the country side are even-numbered. Platforms 13 and 15 are not split, and are mostly on the London side of the subway, so have odd numbers.

Sadly this coherence will be lost if a Platform 0 were to be added next to Platform 1, of course...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 15:55:32 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 05, 2022, 17:32:17 »

Why is there no P.14? I'm sure it's been covered before on this forum, but the simple answer is that platforms on the London side of the subway are odd-numbered while those on the country side are even-numbered. Platforms 13 and 15 are not split, and are mostly on the London side of the subway, so have odd numbers.

Sadly this coherence will be lost if a Platform 0 were to be added next to Platform 1, of course...
So best skip the 0 and go straight to -1!

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 05, 2022, 18:25:15 »

So best skip the 0 and go straight to -1!

Indeed. What possible confusion could that cause?

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60
  Print  

Jump to: