Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:17:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194215 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:43 »

An additional HST (High Speed Train) trip is planned for the new timetable, as a result of the number of 180 diagrams reducing to three per day with one of the five set being transferred to Grand Central.

Though interestingly the 17:18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) and return is still booked a 180 meaning there are still 4 diagrams in the evening, so either all five 180s are being kept (so why the HST on the 11:20?), or they're asking for 100% availability in the evening peak (asking for trouble!).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2016, 11:11:47 »

Today's Railways Magazine claims that as from Monday the 1718 Padd - Oxford and return will be a Turbo (well, I hope more than 1 Turbo, it needs 5-6 coaches) and not a 180. This would fit in with the other changes.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 09, 2016, 18:47:03 »

The "changes" poster at stations also confirms the 17:18 will no longer be a 180.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2016, 21:44:29 »

Yes, being run by a turbo(s) from now on, leaving the 4th 180 as a spare, or of course for its inevitable use as a replacement for the 17:49 as is quite often the case.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 09, 2016, 21:55:58 »

That's interesting as I thought so too, but the drivers diagrams for next week clearly show it as booked for a 180.  A mistake perhaps?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 09, 2016, 23:23:47 »

Why is a train being given to another TOC (Train Operating Company) when we are constantly being told that all GWR (Great Western Railway) stock is bring fully utilised and there is none spare to strengthen already hugely overcrowded services?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 09, 2016, 23:49:10 »

Agreements that were signed before the electrification delays.  Grand Central want to run an additional train to Sunderland I think, and retire their three HST (High Speed Train) sets.  I think the remainder of 180s will be leaving GWR (Great Western Railway) by the end of next year.  Fortunately the new arrivals from Hitachi should be in operation by then.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2016, 07:29:30 »

Agreements that were signed before the electrification delays.  Grand Central want to run an additional train to Sunderland I think, and retire their three HST (High Speed Train) sets.  I think the remainder of 180s will be leaving GWR (Great Western Railway) by the end of next year.  Fortunately the new arrivals from Hitachi should be in operation by then.

A straight swap would be good. A five coach HST would have more capacity than than a class 180? Feel for Grand Central users losing their HSTs.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2016, 09:16:20 »

I'm hoping XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) might pick up the odd GST being released. They need them more than GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) in terms of crowding. And GC sVe in maintenance costs by having just one type of train, which pf course, is why they're doing this
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2016, 10:10:38 »

You'll have to forgive me and please don't take this personally but a "should" forecast from the railways doesn't fill me with confidence.

I wonder which other services will suffer in order to free up a Turbo to run this service instead - we get enough cancellations in recent times due to "more trains than usual needing maintenance" so this does not augur well, aligned with the usual message that all resources are being fully utilised - inevitably something will have to give.

More poor planning. Any agreement made on the basis of electrification being delivered on time should have contained the appropriate caveats to allow for delays - particularly on the railways where delays are pretty much BAU.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:46 »

It's a rather complicated situation regarding the Class 180s.  To summarise what happened as I recall:

• GWR (Great Western Railway) decided to get rid of them originally in 2008/9 and replace them with more HST (High Speed Train) sets increasing capacity and reliability.
  • There was also fairly advanced talk about replacing the Cotswold Line services with 4-car diesel Turbostar trains numbering some 40 vehicles.
  • In 2009 electrification was announced to Bristol, Newbury and Oxford by then end of 2016 and to Swansea by 2017.  That meant that those Turbostar train were not needed, but we know what's subsequently happened to those dates!
  • In 2010 East Coast, who had leased these 5 Class 180s up until 2017, decided not to pursue a regular, through, Kings Cross to Lincoln service which would have used them.
  • Growth on GWR was such that additional carriages were needed to fill in between the planned arrival date of those diesel carriages (mooted for 2013) and electrification.
  • The opportunity to sub-lease the 5-Class 180s (and also take on the two Class 150s) was jumped on by which time electrification should have been long since completed.

The trouble with that sub-lease, is that come the end of the term it was up to the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) as to what to do with them after.  GWR could have said they'd pay to keep them a little longer if needed, but the ROSCO understandably wanted a proper long term lease which Grand Central was able to commit to.  It might be possible to keep them a few months longer than originally planned, but they will be going in time that Grand Central can use them without having to modify their HST's, so it won't be much longer - and you can bet other parties will want to be rewarded handsomely.

There will be enough electric trains in operation to release one (admittedly 2-car) Turbo in early January from the Greenford route, so hopefully any pain will be very short lived.  The fact the 17:18 is down as a Class 180 on the drivers diagram next week makes me wonder whether that is being kept short term until that Turbo becomes available?

Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2016, 11:43:39 »

In answer to Taplow Greens question. It should be the case that the 387s pick up some of the Turbo work in the Thames Valley hence the 1718 reverting to Turbo operation. As Industry Insider has stated quite clearly the original plan set out by the DFT (Department for Transport) and NR» (Network Rail - home page) along with the relevant TOCs (Train Operating Company) hasn't gone exactly to plan.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2016, 16:13:09 »

Sounds like a massive exercise in robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 12, 2016, 09:09:44 »

Sounds like a massive exercise in robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Sums up rail privatization nicely, like plugging holes in a dam.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 13, 2016, 19:12:50 »

Today's Railways Magazine claims that as from Monday the 1718 Padd - Oxford and return will be a Turbo (well, I hope more than 1 Turbo, it needs 5-6 coaches) and not a 180. This would fit in with the other changes.

Yes, being run by a turbo(s) from now on, leaving the 4th 180 as a spare, or of course for its inevitable use as a replacement for the 17:49 as is quite often the case.

It was a Class 180 today (I forgot to check yesterday!), so it looks like there's been a temporary reprieve?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27
  Print  

Jump to: