Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:18:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194217 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 20:16:41 »

I'm told that the 05.48 from Paddington was an Adelante this morning.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:42 »

Yes, that's the first part of the diagram that 180108 has been covering all week.

Current weekday passenger services are:
05:48 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-WOF
08:26 WOF-PAD
11:20 PAD-GMV
14:26 GMV-PAD
17:18 PAD-OXF» (Oxford - next trains)
19:31 OXF-PAD
15:51 PAD-WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) (Fridays only)
18:49 WOF-PAD (Fridays only)

More to follow in the coming weeks...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 23:48:47 »

Ah, hadn't realised that - thanks.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 12:09:47 »

Class 180s to get Wifi  - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Media-centre/First-Great-Western-to-launch-Wifi-on-its-trains

First Great Western has announced it will trial free Wifi on trains running between Paddington and the Cotswolds, allowing passengers to check emails and browse the internet on their own Wifi-enabled devices.

The technology will be installed on five Class 180 trains, 25 vehicles, which will upgrade the current fleet running on the line, as part of a series of reliability and comfort modifications.

First Great Western Managing Director, Mark Hopwood said the company had been looking for an opportunity to introduce the technology for some time:

^The refresh of these trains has given us the opportunity to address modern work and entertainment needs. I am delighted that within the year customers will be able to read their emails, browse the web, or simply catch friends while on the move.

"As well as reliability improvements each of the trains has been extensively refurbished, allowing us to include the technology required to offer Wifi free of charge to passengers.^

Wifi is also available at a number of FGW (First Great Western) stations through the public provider The Cloud.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 12:35:01 »

At last....its in the public domain.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2012, 13:05:27 »

I bet they'll roll it out quicker than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have managed!!!

Hopefully it'll be a useful test bed for further roll outs on the HST (High Speed Train) fleet.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2012, 16:06:06 »

hopefully not straying too much as its about wifi on more trains in the area

Rail passengers to benefit from multi-million-pound investment in Wi-Fi technology at South West Trains

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Rail%20passengers%20to%20benefit%20from%20multi-million%20pound%20investment%20in%20wi-fi%20technology.aspx
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2012, 17:26:59 »

I bet they'll roll it out quicker than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have managed!!!

Hopefully it'll be a useful test bed for further roll outs on the HST (High Speed Train) fleet.
Well, XC have till the end of the year then.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2012, 21:46:06 »

Does anyone know how the 180 is coping with the shoulder peak services between Pad and Oxf?

Good news about Wifi - another thing that should have been added during the HST (High Speed Train) refurb! Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 23:36:30 »

From the Oxford Mail:

Familiar face returns to Cotswold Line

Rail passengers will feel the benefit of efforts to cut overcrowding on trains between Oxfordshire and London from Monday, with five extra express trains entering service.

The distinctive-wedge-nosed 125mph Class 180 Adelante trains are returning to duty with operator First Great Western after a three-year break and will be dedicated to services between London, Oxford and the Cotswold Line to Worcester.

In autumn 2010, all of the 10 most overcrowded trains in the South East of England were FGW (First Great Western) services to or from London's Paddington station, but since then the firm has made progress on tackling the problem.

Department for Transport figures for last spring saw that figure halved. Statistics released earlier this month by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), showing the number of rush-hour passengers in excess of each train operator^s fleet^s designed capacity, said that while FGW had the highest level among rail firms in the South East last year, at 10.5 per cent across both daily peaks, this had been cut from 16.6 per cent in 2010.

From Monday, almost all weekday trains on the Cotswold Line will be operated by the 280-seat Class 180s, or FGW^s High Speed Trains, which have seats for 500 or 580 passengers, with just a handful of Thames Turbo services running west of Oxford.

Adelantes were used on the Cotswold Line from 2004-09 but were transferred to other duties after FGW acquired extra High Speed Trains. They will also operate a number of peak trains between Oxford and London, serving Radley, Culham, Appleford, Didcot Parkway, Cholsey and Goring & Streatley.

FGW managing director Mark Hopwood said: ^The trains are looking really good and a lot of people have said to me that they look like new trains.

^From Monday there will be a big change in the fleet of trains on the Cotswold Line but the Turbos currently in use will not be going anywhere, they will remain with us and will be used to lengthen Thames Valley services.

^In addition, a number of the HSTs (High Speed Train) in use on Oxford and Cotswold services will soon be extended from seven to eight coaches, giving an extra 80 seats.

^When you add all these changes together, that^s 4,500 extra seats on our services every weekday, a nine per cent increase in capacity in morning and evening rush-hours in and out of Paddington.

Lord Faulkner, the president of the Cotswold Line Promotion Group, which represents passengers and campaigns for improvements to the route, said: ^The train looks wonderful and I^m sure they^re going to be adding to the popularity of the service between Worcester, Oxford and London.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:02 »

Three diagrams of the eventual four are in operation today.

180102 makes its return debut in passenger service (I think) working the following passenger service:

07:02 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)
09:21 PAD-WOF
12:06 WOF-PAD
14:50 PAD-OXF
17:32 OXF-GMV ('Halts' train)
19:44 GMV-PAD

180106 is working:

05:48 PAD-WOF
08:26 WOF-PAD
11:20 PAD-GMV
14:26 GMV-PAD
17:18 PAD-OXF
19:31 OXF-PAD

180108 is working:

05:22 PAD-OXF
07:21 OXF-PAD
12:21 PAD-GMV
15:22 GMV-OXF
17:06 OXF-PAD
19:18 PAD-OXF

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:38 »

180102 makes its return debut in passenger service (I think) working the following passenger service:

07:02 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)
09:21 PAD-WOF
12:06 WOF-PAD
14:50 PAD-OXF
17:32 OXF-GMV ('Halts' train)
19:44 GMV-PAD

But alas:

09:21 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 11:40
This train has been delayed at Maidenhead and is now 31 minutes late.
This train will be terminated at Oxford at 10:49.
This train will no longer call at Hanborough, Charlbury, Kingham, Moreton-In-Marsh, Evesham, Pershore, Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street.
This is due to a train fault.
Message Received :23/07/2012 10:38

12:06 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington due 14:29
This train will be started from Oxford at 13:31.
This train will no longer call at Worcester Foregate Street, Worcester Shrub Hill, Pershore, Evesham, Honeybourne, Moreton-In-Marsh, Kingham, Charlbury and Hanborough.
This is due to an earlier train fault.
Message Received :23/07/2012 10:39
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:14 »

Cann't say I was impressed by the 180 forming the 08.34 from Maidenhead to Pad this morning. Turned up 10 minutes late, and although of five cars instead of 3 with the usual Turbo unit, there seemed alot less room and much more standing. The aisles were packed all the way down. I'm not sure of the comparison with the number of seats, but at least the seats were bigger and more comfortable!
I'll have to give this some time before I'd welcome these hydraulics back on the W.R
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 11:45:29 »

But alas:

09:21 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 11:40
This train has been delayed at Maidenhead and is now 31 minutes late.
This train will be terminated at Oxford at 10:49.
This train will no longer call at Hanborough, Charlbury, Kingham, Moreton-In-Marsh, Evesham, Pershore, Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street.

Yes indeed!

Though partly down to problems with a HST (High Speed Train), it also was running on only three engines - probably not a good week to introduce more diagrams with the temperature set to reach nearly 30 degrees!  The other services have also been delayed, mostly by the morning halts Turbo hitting animals near Honeybourne which led to its failure at Moreton-In-Marsh - the lack of sidings at Moreton causing problems as it couldn't just be moved out of the way and was eventually assisted by the 06:48 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-WOF which terminated at Moreton.

IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 11:51:00 »

Cann't say I was impressed by the 180 forming the 08.34 from Maidenhead to Pad this morning. Turned up 10 minutes late, and although of five cars instead of 3 with the usual Turbo unit, there seemed alot less room and much more standing. The aisles were packed all the way down. I'm not sure of the comparison with the number of seats, but at least the seats were bigger and more comfortable!
I'll have to give this some time before I'd welcome these hydraulics back on the W.R

Premuably with it running 10 minutes late there may have been more people than normal as people turning up for the next service early might also have tried their luck?  Any 3-car Turbo that was full and standing being replaced with an Adelante will continue to be packed as the number of seats is similar.  There is also less standing room in the vestibule areas than on a Turbo, and people are more reluctant to move down the end of carriages A and E to stand as it takes ages to get off.  Using them on those services is certainly not ideal!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: