Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:42:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194236 times)
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2012, 16:36:51 »

Had a replacement bus service from Charlbury this morning, 0940 cancelled due to train failure, 1008 cancelled due to track circuit failure (agrees with previous post). I havent actually managed to catch a 180 since they "replaced" the turbos! They keep getting cancelled or swapped for 165/166's
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 16:52:26 »

I need to travel to London in the next couple of weeks. I will definitely be using Chiltern or Virgin as it appears that I still cannot rely on FGW (First Great Western) from Worcester. It's just not worth the risk. And with Chiltern/Virgin I won't have to wait an hour for the next train if it's cancelled.

Come on FGW, what was that redoubling for. I'd be interested to see some stats for performance comparing pre/post redoubling.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2012, 18:45:23 »

Both yesterday and today the 15:51 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) HST (High Speed Train) has been an Adelante  Undecided

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 20:02:28 »

Both yesterday and today the 15:51 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) HST (High Speed Train) has been an Adelante  Undecided

According to Ollie from @FGW (First Great Western) on Twitter the "reason for today is to provide additional capacity on S.Wales route due to games at Cardiff".

It's just frustrating that this service does seem to be an easy picking every time FGW needs an HST elsewhere, especially when FGW boasted that the 180s were being re-introduced to increase capacity on the Cotswold Line. But there you go... ho hum.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 21:32:20 »

Turbo substitutions on the 1551 and 1750 had been getting much more common before the 180s were reintroduced, a 180 is better than a 3-car turbo.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 23:11:04 »

a 180 is better than a 3-car turbo.

Maybe, but then again maybe not...

And actually, I didn't find today's Turbo experience any worse than the 180s on the last three Fridays; Turbos do seem to be able to cope with over-crowding better than the Adelantes. That's not to say it wasn't horrid and the sooner we get our Friday HST (High Speed Train) back the better.

My own point of view is that the best option is a 5-car Turbo as far as Oxford and a 3-car Turbo from there onwards.  Though no solution comes near to the rostered HST.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2012, 10:35:55 »

... though it's showing up as 'amended' on the current train running map, with the change of formation on the Cardiff - Portsmouth showing as cancelled:

Yeah - there's a known and (very) occasional issue where the wrong train gets coloured red.  I've taken the opportunity to capture my feed data in the last couple of minutes, so I've now got a case study to look into.  The routes will always be right, the numbers always correct - just the wrong train(s) coloured red. I *can* see the cause, which is the first step to finding the solution!

Glad we've managed to isolate a real example of the oddity!

Fixed (but still watching / testing) - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6062.30

Turns out that replacement of a five car train by a three car one helps create the specific set of conditions under which the feed colouring failed!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2012, 11:03:01 »

Fixed (but still watching / testing) - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6062.30

Turns out that replacement of a five car train by a three car one helps create the specific set of conditions under which the feed colouring failed!
Sounds as if it wasn't an easy one to trace!
Buckham

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2012, 22:50:53 »

Anyone know if the 9.54 Great Malvern to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is an Adelante yet? Based on previous posts it doesn't look like it.  Taking the family to the Olympics and would prefer a 180 to a 166.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:19 »

Anyone know if the 9.54 Great Malvern to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is an Adelante yet? Based on previous posts it doesn't look like it.  Taking the family to the Olympics and would prefer a 180 to a 166.

It has been a 180 once or twice, but there are currently a maximum of only three of the eventual four daily diagrams in use and the diagram with that train and the 14:21 PAD-WOF and return are the ones that are usually still covered by a Turbo.

Buckham

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 22:07:44 »

Thanks for the clarification II. It was indeed a turbo and was rammed full by Charlbury and got worse from Oxford onwards. This was a service that definitely should have had an extra 3 cars added at Oxford. Disappointing that  FGW (First Great Western) seem to have made no effort on the Cotswold line to cater for the additional traffic during the Olympics.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2012, 00:21:02 »

Indeed, the previous 08:26 WOF-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is terribly overcrowded as well (be it a Turbo or a 180) - there are many overcrowded trains though and I guess only a finite number of carriages that can be provided!  Still, we're nearly through the main Olympic rush and have come through it pretty well all things considered!

IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:36 »

All the 180s appear to have been kept in bed again today. 

Also, I haven't yet seen the evening 'Halts' train keep to time since it went over to a Class 180.  Even when it departs on time (which, in itself, is unusual given the tight station working at Oxford at that time of the evening) it seems to lose at least 5 minutes between Wolvercote and Ascott mostly as a result of the less efficient despatch at stations.  It does have several minutes layover at Evesham (and again in the Worcester area), so is often back on time by then, but needs to be retimed from Hanborough onwards (perhaps a minute extra added to each station stop as far as Shipton?) to avoid annoying passengers on a daily basis.

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2012, 15:04:28 »

Its probably unloading the bikes takes the extra time on the Adelante stopper - walking along the platform to the cycle storage bay. I haven't used this train since it became an Adelante with smaller official cycle storage compared with more bikes that were usually seen in the vestibules of the 2-cat Turbo. Can anyone update on what the situation is like now with the Adelante?
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2012, 10:17:20 »

I used the evening stopping service for the first time in a couple of weeks last night, my first Adelante trip since they were reintroduced. A number of issues
came to light, the previous train (HST (High Speed Train) terminating at Oxford) took nearly 10min to empty and clear for departure to the sidings, for most of this the 180 was sitting outside Oxford waiting for access to platform 2. I have seen this many times when the stopping service was a turbo so a dispatch issue at Oxford. No information was available as to which was around the train was, where to load cycles or which end for short platforms.

Despite being at Oxford on time, the CIS (Customer Information System) was unable to get the correct 'next train' information on the screen (it was showing the following Virgin trains service to Manchester) and the 180 was 5min late leaving Oxford, it then crawled onto the relief line where it stopped to allow the following Manchester service to pass.

The train was dirty, rubbish on seats, coach B power sockets didnt work (tried 5 different ones) and one of the carriages had an engine that kept pulsing (ramping up revs and back down) even when sitting idle at a station (other 4 were just idling).

Most stops were announced by the TM(resolve) including which doors would open, but not all,  leading to some confusion amongst visitors having to rush the length of the train.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: