Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:27:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194216 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:29 »

...the previous train (HST (High Speed Train) terminating at Oxford) took nearly 10min to empty and clear for departure to the sidings, for most of this the 180 was sitting outside Oxford waiting for access to platform 2.

Rather bizarrely the 180 arrives at Oxford from Great Malvern at 16:46 and then goes empty to Didcot before returning empty from Didcot to form the 17:32 after the departure of the HST.  Partly a hangover from when that train used to continue as a Turbo from Oxford to Didcot in service and partly due to the very limited platform space at Oxford.  Sadly it can't just sit in the bay platform as there is an arrival from Bicester that it would get in the way of.  Hopefully this method of working is temporary.

Despite being at Oxford on time, the CIS (Customer Information System) was unable to get the correct 'next train' information on the screen (it was showing the following Virgin trains service to Manchester) and the 180 was 5min late leaving Oxford, it then crawled onto the relief line where it stopped to allow the following Manchester service to pass.

Sounds like the staff had manually entered a delay on the 17:32 but not on the Manchester train at 17:36 which the system would recognise as being 'on time' as it would have also been sat waiting outside waiting a platform.  Workings on platform two are very tight at that time of day.  It was held on the down passenger loop waiting for the 17:31ex Hereford which had been delayed due to animals on the line near Ledbury.

The train was dirty, rubbish on seats, coach B power sockets didnt work (tried 5 different ones) and one of the carriages had an engine that kept pulsing (ramping up revs and back down) even when sitting idle at a station (other 4 were just idling).

I doubt it had been cleaned since leaving Paddington at 12:21 then.  One of the weaknesses of the on train cleaning if no travelling litter cleaner joins a train at Oxford on the previous trip and the TM(resolve) doesn't do anything during the layover at Great Malvern.  As for the power sockets, it sounds like the Circuit Breaker that controls the sockets had tripped in that carriage.  That could quite easily go unnoticed amongst the crew unless someone tells them.

Finally, I see that it lost its customary 5 minutes between Wolvercote and Ascott.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:00 »

Look on the bright side, at least the air con works Smiley Unlike the turbo I was on last night with the HEATING on full whack.... winter must have arrived.

Whilst on the 180 subject, any clue as to what happened on Tuesday morning ? The 0739 Goring -> Padd was cancelled and the 0800 was a turbo again...

Also the 180 I was on this morning (I forget the number, but it was in reverse formation ie. coach E heading to Padd, usually they run with coach A at the front, but if its in reverse its always the same train, which I know due to the following issue...), the door in coach C at the toilet end is terrible - it opens so slowly, then stalls half way. Its really hard to force open - many passengers get blocked there trying to get through, especially with bags. I do wonder what would happen in an emergency.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:02 »

Whilst on the 180 subject, any clue as to what happened on Tuesday morning ? The 0739 Goring -> Padd was cancelled and the 0800 was a turbo again...

I think during the period between the Olympics and the Paralympics there was a concerted effort to get the 180s back in a reasonable shape with often only one unit out each day.  The last two days have seen three units in service, which is the maximum (possibly Fridays excepted) we'll see until 180104 returns in service when the four daily diagrams should be in use.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2012, 15:06:49 »

re preevious posts and the litter on the 17.32 and II's response: If that train arrives at oxford at 16.46 and then goes to Didcot to wait to return to Oxford as the 17.32 CL stopper, why does the conductor on board collect the litter whilst waiting at Didcot? Some conductors will collect the litter whilst others just ignore it. Do they just go back to their cab for a snooze? I can understand that they may needa toilet break whilst waiting at Didcot but that should not take long.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2012, 15:17:16 »

And what a waste of fuel! If the train is going to Didcot and back, why not pick up passengers and so help improve connections?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2012, 15:37:49 »

I think during the period between the Olympics and the Paralympics there was a concerted effort to get the 180s back in a reasonable shape with often only one unit out each day.  The last two days have seen three units in service, which is the maximum (possibly Fridays excepted) we'll see until 180104 returns in service when the four daily diagrams should be in use.

Ah ha! Thanks II, appreciated as always  Smiley
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2012, 16:40:15 »

Some conductors will collect the litter whilst others just ignore it. Do they just go back to their cab for a snooze?

As you say it will depend on the individual.  I don't think that Reading based crew are obliged to do any litter picking as part of their contract (not sure about the Worcester ones) but some consider themselves above that kind of thing 'That's what cleaners are employed to do' and some are just lazy.  Others do a great job.

Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2012, 21:13:30 »

Is there even a conductor on the train Oxford-Didcot and return. The conductor could be taking a break at Oxford or it could be a different conductor from Great Malvern-Oxford to the return. That would also prevent the train running in service. When it was a Turbo no conductor would have been required on the Oxford-Didcot leg of the journey.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2012, 23:49:28 »

What happens at Oxford at around 1645 seems to vary from day to day!

When the 1522 GMV-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) is a 2-car Turbo, it appears to form the 1651 Oxford to Didcot Parkway from where it returns empty stock to form the 1732 OXF-GMV.

On Thursday 23rd August, the 1651 was formed by the terminating 1457 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF 3-car Turbo which went directly into Platform 1 at 1647.  I noticed an Adelante in the West Midland siding. This Adelante, presumably, later formed the 1732 to GMV.  I do not know what happened to the 1522 ex GMV that day.

On Friday 24th August, the 1732 from Oxford was formed by a 2-car Turbo which was stuck in the bay platform 3 behind the Chiltern Railways 1745 departure.  It eventually departed at about 1750 and then crossed right over to the down loop before eventually regaining the down line.  This operation appeared to have been caused by a partial failure of the 1514 HFD» (Hereford - next trains)-PAD HST (High Speed Train) at Evesham.  This was passed between Oxford and Wolvercot Junction and terminated at Oxford.  An earlier departure from Oxford of the 1732 would have resulted in a clash on the single line section unless the HST had been held at Charlbury. 
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2012, 00:04:11 »

On Thursday 23rd August, the 1651 was formed by the terminating 1457 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) 3-car Turbo which went directly into Platform 1 at 1647.  I noticed an Adelante in the West Midland siding. This Adelante, presumably, later formed the 1732 to GMV.  I do not know what happened to the 1522 ex GMV that day.
The 14:50 London to Oxford is a 180, which goes in to the sidings at Oxford and in theory comes out at 1610, runs down to Didcot where it sits for 40 minutes before coming back to form the 17:32 halts train.

The 15:22 Malvern to Oxford should pay a very brief visit to the carriage sidings before forming the 17:06 stopper to London. I'd imagine this is very flexible when there are 180 failures, so short forms are minimised.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2012, 14:11:32 »

Thanks II, if I ever see a TM(resolve) when the power sockets are not working will ask to see if they can reset the circuit breaker, but given that they struggle to make the announcements and rush up and down opening doors I think I know the response I will get, perhaps should be done as a pre-journey checklist if such things exist.

But what about the HST (High Speed Train) terminating at Oxford at 1724, this has to be out of the platform by 1730 for the 1732 stopping service, if it is a couple of minutes late (normal) that only leaves 4min to empty the train, check all carriages and lock the doors, then wait for the signal to clear.  This process normally takes 6-8 and last night took 10min which will automatically delay subsequent services even when they are waiting outside the station on time.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2012, 15:12:51 »

But what about the HST (High Speed Train) terminating at Oxford at 1724, this has to be out of the platform by 1730 for the 1732 stopping service, if it is a couple of minutes late (normal) that only leaves 4min to empty the train, check all carriages and lock the doors, then wait for the signal to clear.  This process normally takes 6-8 and last night took 10min which will automatically delay subsequent services even when they are waiting outside the station on time.

Indeed, it's very tight.  I have seen the 17:32 depart on time, but it's rare normally leaving 1-5 minutes late.  Little can be done until rebuilding work at Oxford will hopefully lead to an extra through platform.  Even the proposed south facing bay platform might help in these circumstances, as the 17:24 terminator could in theory arrive there and wait it's next working at 18:01 to Paddington - though it would involve a bit of a trek for connecting passengers.

With the Oxford line improvement programme getting the go-ahead for between 2014-19 hopefully the situation will be vastly improved in a few years.  A sensible layout (in my opinion) would be to have the current Platform 1 stay as it is, Platform 2 to have bi-di signalling installed, Platform 3 to remain as it is.  Then two new north facing bay platforms for the Evergreen 3 and possibly some of the East-West Rail services.  A new south facing bay platform, and finally a new bi-di platform behind the current platform 2, using space vacated by the panel box in 2015 (with other station buildings partially demolished).  It would look something like this:

mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2012, 15:49:48 »

Would this require knocking down the Youth Hostel next to Botley Rd bridge? Why was that ever given permission... (shakes head in despair at short term planning decisions).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2012, 23:43:29 »

The above would help a lot, but really the station needs flattening, with a new one with 4 through platforms plus various bays for other stuff.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2012, 12:35:02 »

Would this require knocking down the Youth Hostel next to Botley Rd bridge? Why was that ever given permission... (shakes head in despair at short term planning decisions).

I think you could just about squeeze it in without demolishing the Youth Hostel, though it would be tight and some of the Youth Hostel's garden would need to be used.  The existing BTP (British Transport Police) office, staff offices and Panel Box Building and would be affected, and to squeeze Roger Dudman way alongside and give room for a 10-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) length platform would also be quite an ask.  Removing the down through line and shifting that platform closer to the current platform 1 would make it easier, but then you don't gain the same capacity improvements - especially given the growing importance of the future 'Electric Spine' for freight.

The above would help a lot, but really the station needs flattening, with a new one with 4 through platforms plus various bays for other stuff.

Yes, it probably does, but I can't see room for 4 though platforms plus various bays within the current configuration without removing both through roads (massive loss in capacity for freight), massive disruption to passengers whilst it is built, or NR» (Network Rail - home page) and the Council having the balls (and money) to move the whole station to a site either north or south of the current location.  That has been talked about for years, but never moved off of the drawing board.  As a long term decision it probably is the best option though - but the most expensive!

Challenging and tough decisions will need to be made!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: