Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:48:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194220 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2012, 12:18:54 »

There has been an alteration to the diagrams at Oxford at that time. 2Y94, 1522 Great Malvern-Didcot Parkway forms 2E95, 1715 Didcot Parkway-Great Malvern. 1D43, 1450 London Paddington-Oxford after a layover in Oxford Carriage Sidings now forms 2P74, 1706 Oxford-London Paddington. The services have effectively swapped round with inbound services now forming different outbound services, but all are still booked 180s. The diagram for the 1706 Oxford-London Paddington is now one which has been a 180 much more reliably so far.

Spot on with the diagram changes, though I'll disagree with the 17:06ex Oxford reliably being a Class 180 - can't remember the last time it was, and the 'Halts' diagram has been a Turbo quite often recently.  Perhaps things will change over the coming weeks, but the two diagrams you mentioned are the two that are regularly Turbo operated, in the case of the 'Halts' train in the evening that means that (for the last two days at least) the 07:00 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has been a 2-car Class 165 (hellishly overcrowded) and the 12:21 PAD-GMV is formed by the same set (badly overcrowded as far as Oxford).  The 'Halts' train just about copes as a 2-car as it has done for years as it's only full to bursting as far as Hanborough, though the back working (19:44 GMV-PAD) gets pretty full after Oxford.

The other Turbo-tised diagram the last two days is at least a 3-car and works the 07:21 OXF-PAD, 09:21 PAD-WOF, 12:06 WOF-PAD, 14:50 PAD-OXF, 17:06 OXF-PAD, 19:18 PAD-OXF.  All of which can cope with a 3-car Turbo as well as they can with a Class 180 (if not slightly better in the case of the peak hour trains), but this still means poor facilities on the longer distance trips.

The other two diagrams have been Class 180s this week, and usually have been over the past couple of weeks.  It remains a most unsatisfactory position though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2012, 12:54:25 »

in the case of the 'Halts' train in the evening that means that (for the last two days at least) the 07:00 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has been a 2-car Class 165 (hellishly overcrowded)

Hey II, is this temporary arrangement or permanent with the new timetable? Although I am pleased we have the 165/166's back in the morning (yay!), being a 2-car is a nightmare (boo!) Cheesy
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2012, 19:20:00 »

Temporary.  It remains a Class 180 diagram in principle!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2012, 20:25:56 »

Tonights evening halts train was a 165, 10min late to arrive (from Didcot?) and very overcrowded. CIS (Customer Information System) on board still though it was the Malvern to Didcot train though.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2012, 20:53:16 »

There has been an alteration to the diagrams at Oxford at that time. 2Y94, 1522 Great Malvern-Didcot Parkway forms 2E95, 1715 Didcot Parkway-Great Malvern. 1D43, 1450 London Paddington-Oxford after a layover in Oxford Carriage Sidings now forms 2P74, 1706 Oxford-London Paddington. The services have effectively swapped round with inbound services now forming different outbound services, but all are still booked 180s. The diagram for the 1706 Oxford-London Paddington is now one which has been a 180 much more reliably so far.

Spot on with the diagram changes, though I'll disagree with the 17:06ex Oxford reliably being a Class 180 - can't remember the last time it was, and the 'Halts' diagram has been a Turbo quite often recently.  Perhaps things will change over the coming weeks, but the two diagrams you mentioned are the two that are regularly Turbo operated, in the case of the 'Halts' train in the evening that means that (for the last two days at least) the 07:00 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) has been a 2-car Class 165 (hellishly overcrowded) and the 12:21 PAD-GMV is formed by the same set (badly overcrowded as far as Oxford).  The 'Halts' train just about copes as a 2-car as it has done for years as it's only full to bursting as far as Hanborough, though the back working (19:44 GMV-PAD) gets pretty full after Oxford.
I meant that it should now be a 180 more reliably. The service most often previously formed of a Turbo was the 1221 out of London, which used to form the 1706. It now forms the Halts train instead, with the 1706 formed off the set which work the 0921 and 1450 out of London. Perhaps they will swap now though with the 1221 becoming a 180 more reliably than the 0921 and 1450.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:17 »

I meant that it should now be a 180 more reliably. The service most often previously formed of a Turbo was the 1221 out of London, which used to form the 1706. It now forms the Halts train instead, with the 1706 formed off the set which work the 0921 and 1450 out of London. Perhaps they will swap now though with the 1221 becoming a 180 more reliably than the 0921 and 1450.

Ah, right, sorry, I see what you mean.  We'll have to wait and see on that one then - for the third day in a row there have only been two 180 diagrams covered, so it remains to be seen which of the other two diagrams remains the priority to cover first!  I'd take a guess that it'll be one that does the 07:21 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), 12:21 PAD-GMV, 15:22 GMV-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains), 17:15 DID-GMV, and 19:44 GMV-PAD as running a 2-Car Turbo on that diagram is totally unacceptable.

mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2012, 12:31:53 »

Is there any prospect of this situation improving? As far as I can tell the availability of the 180s has been dire ever since their return. How long can FGW (First Great Western) carry on like this? Apart from anything else, it must be a nightmare for planning, causing problems elsewhere on their network.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2012, 14:30:02 »

Ah, right, sorry, I see what you mean.  We'll have to wait and see on that one then - for the third day in a row there have only been two 180 diagrams covered, so it remains to be seen which of the other two diagrams remains the priority to cover first!  I'd take a guess that it'll be one that does the 07:21 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), 12:21 PAD-GMV, 15:22 GMV-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains), 17:15 DID-GMV, and 19:44 GMV-PAD as running a 2-Car Turbo on that diagram is totally unacceptable.
Indeed, and it's a 2-car 165 again today. But if the problem resourcing that diagram is crew related rather than due to faults with the 180s perhaps it will have to remain a 2-car for now.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2012, 14:43:55 »

Yes, I'm not sure how much of this is due to the training backlog (mostly drivers as the TM(resolve)'s are in a much better state), and how much is due to the 180s themselves.  I'll do some digging!

Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2012, 08:27:02 »

Yes, I'm not sure how much of this is due to the training backlog (mostly drivers as the TM(resolve)'s are in a much better state), and how much is due to the 180s themselves.  I'll do some digging!

Hi II how many drivers would need to be trained? I would have thought First would have had ample time to get the training completed.

At what time do they give up and recognise that the 180s are simply not fit for purpose?
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2012, 13:27:58 »

Three parked at Old Oak Common around 9ish this morning. I wonder if any of them will make it out today?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2012, 01:52:28 »

Hi II how many drivers would need to be trained? I would have thought First would have had ample time to get the training completed.

In terms of numbers, there are roughly 100 drivers who should drive the 180s (as well as their other routes/traction) which are all covered from either Oxford or Paddington LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) depots.  About 25% of those are only required to drive them between Oxford and London, with the rest signing to either Worcester or Malvern as well.  I reckon roughly 75% of those have been trained, but not all who have been trained know all the routes they should and/or have other traction knowledge outstanding.   The Train Manager situation is much better with most if not all those who cover the work from Paddington, Reading and Worcester depots being passed out on them.

They would have had ample time to get the training completed had the training programme not been cobbled together on the back of an envelope and organised incredibly badly!  Added to that a general backlog of training (new drivers being passed out but not signing all their required routes for example), a general shortage of drivers anyway, and the huge burden of other additional training requirements unique to this year - such as GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) training where every driver has had to be released for at least one day, some for a second day as there was more than six months between their original course and using the equipment in anger! 

All of a sudden we find ourselves in the position where we can barely cover the trains with drivers because not all drivers can cover their own work because of a lack of training, but can't release drivers for training because otherwise the trains wouldn't get covered and they'd be mass cancellations.  Vicious circle.  Can't see it improving much before next Easter as after Christmas there will need to be more training for everyone on the new Reading layout as well as preparations for the diversionary routes for the Easter blockade.  Thank goodness a little thing called Rest Day Working is allowed as we'd be in meltdown otherwise!  Rant over.   Lips sealed

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2012, 16:22:58 »

Quite frankly I cannot see that any TOC (Train Operating Company) with a franchise expiring in a little over 3 months time and with a temporery extension for the next year or two whilst franchise tendering arrangements are being sorted out by DafT, investing any more than it can get away with. Training staff means that there must be adequate staff remaining to take over duties while staff are actually being trained and this costs plenty of money. It is more likely that unfilled posts due to staff turnover are left unfilled to save costs as much as they can be, so that shareholders' rewards can be maximised.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2012, 16:49:12 »

Quite frankly I cannot see that any TOC (Train Operating Company) with a franchise expiring in a little over 3 months time and with a temporery extension for the next year or two whilst franchise tendering arrangements are being sorted out by DafT, investing any more than it can get away with. Training staff means that there must be adequate staff remaining to take over duties while staff are actually being trained and this costs plenty of money. It is more likely that unfilled posts due to staff turnover are left unfilled to save costs as much as they can be, so that shareholders' rewards can be maximised.

Cynical, but partly true I suspect. Yes they have absolutely no incentive to invest in the long or even medium term, but they will not want their day to day performance to drop too much or that might impact on their winning the next franchise.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2012, 05:22:31 »

On the other hand, we have seen no credible evidence to date to suggest that any particular Train Operating Company's past performance (good or bad) has had any impact on their acceptability in any new tender for any new franchise. Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: