Delayed
06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 08:55:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] You see all sorts on the bus.
[56] Where have I been?
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[41] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[38] "Mayflower"
[32] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194430 times)
paulo999

View Profile Email
« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2012, 14:54:18 »

Today's 16:29 from Honeybourne, as predicted:

"Will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 8
This is due to over-running engineering works
Information correct at 27 Dec 2012 09:04"

Yeah .. I wondered if you were planning to be on that one.   Booked HST (High Speed Train) couldn't get out of Paddington due to overrunning engineering works; outbound train started at Oxford and it looks like they only had 3 coaches of turbo available.

Hope you have a good journey!

It felt inevitable!

Any idea if the 17:55 Honeybourne - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is anything bigger? FGW (First Great Western) site is saying seat reservations are possible, so that suggests HST or 180.

(I have tried phoning FGW to ask when the next 'full size' train will run. The call centre person said the 16:29 would be an HST (!). I pointed out that their website said otherwise. Asked when the next "full size" train would run on the line. He didn't know, but said he would email head office and call me back. This will be an interesting test.)
paulo999

View Profile Email
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2012, 14:59:33 »

I believe all radios have been fitted, so any further replacement Turbos will be due to the Traincrew issues following the flooding.  Had the Class 180 situation not been so dire before the Christmas disruption, I don't think anyone would have bothered too much with a temporary (and to be honest, sensible) removal of them from the route over the past couple of days, but it does appear to be one excuse after another.

I think, come the start of the new year, we will all be watching the Class 180 situation with interest, and it needs to improve greatly otherwise I can see it becoming a serious issue for FGW (First Great Western)'s credibility in the run up to a new delayed franchise.

I'm assuming the seat reservation I have for the 27th will, at the appointed hour, vanish cinderella-like into the all too familiar no-arms train. Sad

If you let me know what train you're booked on I can let you know what is planned and what you'll get.

Thanks for the info II - it's good to get *some* kind of explanation. FGW themselves don't seem capable of it. If you happen to know of any non-turbos running today, I'd be keen to hear!
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 27, 2012, 15:51:20 »

The DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) platform equipment aliment is set for 165/6 use and as II said the 180's the cab layout is not suited to DOO.   The next generation of DOO trains need to go the same way as the Tube with in cab screens
What stations do 180s call at between Oxford and Paddington where the driver looks back? I have no idea about the route, so would appreciate being filled in. Paddington would have CD (Capital Delivery)/RA dispatch from platform staff? Do they have platform staff at Slough? I assume Reading and Oxford do? Why couldn't they dispatch the few 180 workings like Southern staff do at places like Heywards Heath for the 319s with a member of dispatch staff stood next to the cab using flags?

It's not just Underground trains that have in cab monitors. Class 334, 377, 378, 379, 380 and 395 stock have external CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and in-cab monitors for DOO dispatch.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 27, 2012, 15:55:56 »

I cannot answer Paulo999's query for certain, but JourneyCheck is not currently showing the 1728 ex WOF (1755 at Honeybourne) as not calling at Shipton. 3-car Turbos are not allowed to call at Shipton due to its short platform and the lack of selective door opening.  So, the 1728 today would appear to be one of a HST (High Speed Train), Class 180 or a 2-car Turbo - or FGW (First Great Western) has omitted to show this change of calling pattern on JourneyCheck.  However, it did show it on Friday evening (21st) when a Class 180 was unavailable.

I wonder whether FGW makes any alternative arrangements for the 1820 stop at Shipton if/when the booked Class 180 is unavailable.  
paulo999

View Profile Email
« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2012, 16:39:20 »

Interesting. I'm quietly hopeful it will be a 180. Smiley

paulo999

View Profile Email
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2012, 18:08:33 »

Guess what.

It's a turbo.

I briefly recounted the saga to the train manager. He was very sympathetic, confirmed it should have been an Adelente. Said that this one of the few services where I could get my money back for this, and recommended that I write/email in asking for that. Considerably more help than the call centre agent.

(The fact, on this service, there's a train manager suggests it wasn't a crewing issue?)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2012, 18:17:04 »

The DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) platform equipment aliment is set for 165/6 use and as II said the 180's the cab layout is not suited to DOO.   The next generation of DOO trains need to go the same way as the Tube with in cab screens
What stations do 180s call at between Oxford and Paddington where the driver looks back? I have no idea about the route, so would appreciate being filled in. Paddington would have CD (Capital Delivery)/RA dispatch from platform staff? Do they have platform staff at Slough? I assume Reading and Oxford do? Why couldn't they dispatch the few 180 workings like Southern staff do at places like Heywards Heath for the 319s with a member of dispatch staff stood next to the cab using flags?

Maidenhead, Twyford, Tilhurst, Pangbourne, Goring, Cholsey although these are only at peak time trains

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2012, 18:53:10 »

I briefly recounted the saga to the train manager. He was very sympathetic, confirmed it should have been an Adelente. Said that this one of the few services where I could get my money back for this, and recommended that I write/email in asking for that. Considerably more help than the call centre agent.

Thanks for posting that, paulo999: please do request a comment / refund from First Great Western, and let us know their response. Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2012, 19:23:18 »

I see that today's 1728 WOF-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) not stopping of at Shipton did eventually appear on JourneyCheck.  The reason given was over-running engineering work.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2012, 23:59:47 »

I note that II mentions that the 180s are having GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) fitment. Is the fact they only had NRN (National Radio Network) the reason for them not operating DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard))-P?

One of the things the rulebook says if a train does not have access to CSR (Cab Secure Radio) or GSM-R then it cannot run DOO-P, so now that they have GSM-R is there any other reason why they need a guard between Paddington and Oxford?
I'd imagine you'd have great trouble getting the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) to agree to it. They were close to striking because the guard did not have full control of the doors, I can't imagine trying to remove the guard entirely would go down too well.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2012, 10:39:16 »

I'd imagine you'd have great trouble getting the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) to agree to it. They were close to striking because the guard did not have full control of the doors, I can't imagine trying to remove the guard entirely would go down too well.
Yeah, I agree. In fact if you look at my posting history, you'll note I have spoken out against DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard))-P in the past. However, in my post I was asking what the technical limitations were.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 28, 2012, 20:58:08 »

Instead of a Class 180, today, the 1206 WOF-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was a 2-car Class 165 Turbo.  It was full and standing from Charlbury.  The Train Manager announced that 3 extra carriages would be added at Oxford, but this did not happen.  Then, it was held for about 35 minutes while flooding at Hinksey was checked by Network Rail.  On arrival at Reading, there must have been about 100 trying to board.  An announcement was made asking people to stand away from the train and it had to leave them behind.  Fortunately, Reading has many other trains to London.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:42 »

Thanks for the info II - it's good to get *some* kind of explanation. FGW (First Great Western) themselves don't seem capable of it. If you happen to know of any non-turbos running today, I'd be keen to hear!

Unable to help yesterday unfortunately as I was otherwise engaged in the pub all day!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobg

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2012, 19:54:08 »

it looks like they only had 3 coaches of turbo available.

I was on the 12:06 from Worcester on 27/12, heading towards Basingstoke.

It was a three car turbo, which started out as only going to Oxford because of the disruption between Reading and Paddington, but was then extended to Paddington. No extra coaches were added at Oxford, and I counted 6 sets of turbos in the sidings just before Oxford station!

Forgot to add that the train manager came through the train at Worcester, clearing up litter, and said that the litter had probably been sat there since Christmas Eve, as the train had come up empty.

Luckily for me the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service was delayed, so I had a nice 2 minute same-platform change at Oxford instead of trying to change somehow at Reading with my luggage!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 20:00:05 by bobg » Logged
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:54 »

1155 from Kingham to London yesterday (5th Jan) was advertised as 5 coaches but guess what, had 3. Another Turbo replacement
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: