I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:39:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194226 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2013, 13:59:53 »

Saturday services aren't meant to be Adelantes anyway, so an information failure rather than a Turbitution. It's possible that another 2 coaches were to be added at Oxford and the information system was being a little premature about the train length - I've seen that happen before.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2013, 12:20:23 »

Today (Wed Jan 09), the 06:48 Paddington - Great Malvern was operated by a Turbo.

These replacements don't seem to be listed in the 'train formations' section of the journeycheck lists - are they happening too often?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 09, 2013, 12:41:02 »

Today (Wed Jan 09), the 06:48 Paddington - Great Malvern was operated by a Turbo.

These replacements don't seem to be listed in the 'train formations' section of the journeycheck lists - are they happening too often?

That's the first diagram that hasn't been covered so far this week to be fair.  Though major signalling problems will now cause further Turbo replacements on some trains today - that's no fault of the 180s in this case.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2013, 13:36:13 »

That's the first diagram that hasn't been covered so far this week to be fair.  Though major signalling problems will now cause further Turbo replacements on some trains today - that's no fault of the 180s in this case.

Hi II, things certainly seem to be improving but why on earth do signal problems mean Turbo replacements?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 09, 2013, 14:08:18 »

Sets 102 and 104 were due to work the 11:20 and 12:20 departures from Paddington, but Turbo units were used as the trains instead started from Oxford - though since I posted that originally, the 11:20 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-GMV looks as if it has been cancelled throughout.  The 12:20 from PAD started at Oxford on time though, using 166219.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2013, 16:30:57 »

I was on the 1421 Paddington to Worcester today (as far as Reading), which didn't leave until about 1432 and was a Turbo.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2013, 20:56:23 »

The evening stopper service Didcot-Gt Malvern was a two car turbo as well, reason given by an announcement was a major train failure on the train originally going to be used for this service.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:37 »

I was on the 1421 Paddington to Worcester today (as far as Reading), which didn't leave until about 1432 and was a Turbo.

The evening stopper service Didcot-Gt Malvern was a two car turbo as well, reason given by an announcement was a major train failure on the train originally going to be used for this service.

Yes, those would have been Turbos as the 1421ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is the diagram that wasn't covered yesterday, and the DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)-GMV service was one of the 180s trapped at Paddington lunch time.  That being said, there was no real reason why the 17:18 PAD-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) and 19:31 OXF-PAD couldn't have been the original Class 180 yesterday - perhaps the 'might as well keep a Turbo on it as it's easier' mentality was adopted?  Mind you, signalling problems at Oxford in the evening led to the 19:31 OXF-PAD being cancelled and the set trapped in the Carriage Sidings, so perhaps that wasn't a bad thing!  Another day of disruption!

I'm keeping a daily log of Class 180 usage by the way, so we'll get a clear picture of what the actual situation is this year.  Today we're back up to 100% with all four diagrams covered.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:57 »

I caught a 180 into Oxford the other day. Standing at the Oxford end of Charlbury platform 2, ready to load my bike, I was intrigued to find myself next to an FGW (First Great Western) travelling fitter who was about to board at the same place - and it was difficult not to overhear his mobile conversation! But he actually seemed pretty upbeat about the 180s, and FGW's ability to keep them under control; each one, he said, had its own idiosyncracies but they were learning them and slowly fixing the persistent issues. I made some friendly throwaway comment as we were boarding and he replied that they were going well. Only a minor anecdote, but bodes well, I thought.
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2013, 16:04:37 »

I'm keeping a daily log of Class 180 usage by the way, so we'll get a clear picture of what the actual situation is this year.  Today we're back up to 100% with all four diagrams covered.

Hi II how's the log going? Doesn't seem to be the problems there were.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2013, 16:43:05 »

I haven't been keeping a log but I can say that last week the 4 services that I caught that were supposed to be operated by 180's were and that is the fisrt time I have got 100% availability since they have been reintroduced. Obviously the christmas break did them some good Smiley

This week of the 3 services that I have caught that should have been operated by 180's (4th will be tonight) all have been operated by 165/166. Maybe its the cold or snow they don't like.

The 4th wasn't operated by a 180 either so 0% for this week for me.

Edit note: A minor correction to quote marks, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 20:37:08 by ray951 » Logged
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2013, 17:07:25 »

Here's the first two weeks since most people returned to work on the 8th January.  It started off very well with two days where all four diagrams were covered, but that hasn't happened since, and as 'ray951' posted, this week has been patchy.  Surprisingly, today was the best of the week with three diagrams covered - I had suspected FGW (First Great Western) might use the snow as an excuse to keep them in the shed all day again!  Set 106 has been the least active, only out on two of the ten days, whereas set 102 has been out every day.

Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2013, 17:47:28 »

Thanks for this II. Very interesting.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2013, 11:33:48 »

Two diagrams covered today.  The two that aren't appear to have a 2-Car Class 165s allocated to them throughout the day.  Not acceptable FGW (First Great Western)!

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2013, 13:54:35 »

Two diagrams covered today.  The two that aren't appear to have a 2-Car Class 165s allocated to them throughout the day.  Not acceptable FGW (First Great Western)!
I can confirm that - just waved someone off on the 12:06 from Foregate St to Paddington, formed of a 2-car class 165. I do hope that an extra unit will get added at Oxford.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: