09:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 04:27:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180s return to the Cotswolds  (Read 194350 times)
bathgreenpark9f

View Profile Email
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2013, 07:20:54 »

Whats the situation with bikes on the train now 180s have (almost!) taken over the evening halts service?. Used to regularly catch the turbo back to Malvern from stations west of Ascott but perceived possible difficulty with bikes has made us stop doing it, eg at Honeybourne, Ascott and Shipton for example only one of two van areas is platformed so if its full...!
But can understand fully the need to have the 180, have often passed the halts service waiting for the single line at Wolvercote as a passenger on the 15.13 from Hereford, always looked very cosy in a turbo!!
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:46 »

Whats the situation with bikes on the train now 180s have (almost!) taken over the evening halts service?.

Well, it remains a bit of a risk.  A lot depends on the weather and the time of year.  A wet, windy, January day like today and you'd have no problem.  Fast forward to a lovely sunny June day and (unsurprisingly) the bikes start to come out of the woodwork.  If you're joining at stations further down the line, then you'd be OK 99% of the time as most bikes usually come off at station between Hanborough and Charlbury.  But if you were joining at Oxford wanting to go to Hanborough, or joining at Hanborough wanting to go to Moreton then it's much more of a lottery.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2013, 12:49:57 »

Agreed. As a regular bike traveller I avoid the up halts train - between Oxford and Charlbury it's quite likely to be full.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:57 »

I've just waved someone off on the 12:08 from Shrub Hill to Paddington. Once again, a 3-car Turbo instead of a 180.

And this morning I noticed on 'JourneyCheck' that the 08:26 arrival into Foregate St had been started from Oxford as a result of a train fault - so that was probably a Turbo as well.

Are any of the 180s working today?

And why doesn't replacing a 5-car train with a 3-car train get to be displayed on JourneyCheck's 'Train Formation Updates' section?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:15 »

Are any of the 180s working today?

2 out of 4 diagrams covered today.  180102 hit a tree earlier in the week and has been out of action since, so presumably stopped for damage repair.  Not sure about 103/4.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:23 »

Thanks for that. Perhaps they just don't like me.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2013, 15:09:28 »

And why doesn't replacing a 5-car train with a 3-car train get to be displayed on JourneyCheck's 'Train Formation Updates' section?
FGW (First Great Western) used to put all formation changes on but the policy changed a while back as part of a national initiative to improve information provision. Now only peak time short formations are shown, and possibly if it's a severe reduction in capacity as well I believe. Presumably the idea is to reduce the number of messages given out so people don't have to filter through so many which are irrelevant to them.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2013, 18:54:52 »

FGW (First Great Western) used to put all formation changes on but the policy changed a while back as part of a national initiative to improve information provision. Now only peak time short formations are shown, and possibly if it's a severe reduction in capacity as well I believe.

Probably a fair enough decision to make, though I would argue that Turbos replacing 180s should still be shown on the basis that it's a severe reduction in quality.  If I was intending to buy a 1st Class ticket I certainly wouldn't if I knew a Class 165 was about to come round the corner.  And whatever ticket you have, it would be nice to know in advance that your reserved seat counts for nothing.

Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2013, 20:01:19 »

Yeh, it would be good if they were shown. The large number of west short formations that used be shown was quite overwhelming, but it was also useful.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 30, 2013, 23:00:22 »

And whatever ticket you have, it would be nice to know in advance that your reserved seat counts for nothing.

I really cannot understand why FGW (First Great Western) is creating this situation by reserving seats on services which are diagrammed for Class 180 stock.  In pocket timetable 19, the only services which have the "Seat reservations available" symbol are HSTs (High Speed Train).
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:38 »

I really shouldn't have raised the question of this week's performance - today, the 05:48 Paddington - Foregate St gave up at Slough "due to a train fault". But hasn't been replaced with a Turbo, just cancelled for the rest of its journey.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:09 »

I really shouldn't have raised the question of this week's performance - today, the 05:48 Paddington - Foregate St gave up at Slough "due to a train fault". But hasn't been replaced with a Turbo, just cancelled for the rest of its journey.

An ATP (Automatic Train Protection) fault was the reason it only got as far as Slough.  An empty Turbo went forward from Oxford to Worcester to form the return working.  Not sure why it ran empty - perhaps a Train Manager issue?  Another unit failed on the depot first thing, but has been patched up to cover OC502 from 12:21, so that's four 180s allocated at the start of service, resulting in only 2.75 diagrams actually getting covered.   Roll Eyes

Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 31, 2013, 13:00:50 »

And some great news for those lucky passengers on the 11:20 London-Great Malvern and the 14:26 return. No toilet facilities are available. Presumably a Turbo, as all the toilets being out of use on a 180 seems a little unlikely.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2013, 16:21:25 »

No toilets for a round trip of 250 miles?  I'm surprised the TM(resolve) would take it unless the problem only developed after Oxford?!   Undecided

CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2013, 18:28:42 »

Presumably a Turbo, as all the toilets being out of use on a 180 seems a little unlikely.

It was a rather grimy 165111.  Toilet stops were made at Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham stations, both of which were staffed this afternoon.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: