19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:00:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you agree that London-Plymouth via Okehampton would involve a journey time nearer to 4 hours?  (Voting closed: March 10, 2014, 11:37:47)
Yes - 9 (22%)
No - 20 (48.8%)
Dont Know - 11 (26.8%)
Dont Care - 1 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll - London-Plymouth via Okehampton Journey Time  (Read 8896 times)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 13:09:44 »

Like ellendune and Andy I also voted Don't Know as the time required for the journey depends on line speed, stopping patterns, train power-to-weight ratio and so on. Until these parameters are defined the question is similar to the old one of 'How long is a piece of string?'

I don't mean to sound negative, but as others have pointed out it depends whether the route is re-opened as an alternative route, or a replacement main route and the cost will vary accordingly. As there are no plans or budget for such an enterprise in the current Control Period no work will start for at least 5 years unless the Government releases additional funds.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 20:43:55 »

That's a very valid debate to have, and more than happy to have it run alongside the poll.

Returning to the poll itself, my aim is to find out whether there is a general consensus in two key respects:

1) To find out whether there is a general consensus among those voting either "Yes" or "No" towards one answer or the other.

2) To find out whether there is a general consensus among the forum membership as a whole towards one particular answer.

With this in mind, I would be very grateful if all members active over the coming week could strongly consider casting a vote of some description, even if it's a "Dont Know" or "Dont Care" one.

This would be very much appreciated.

40 members have so far voted, so many thanks from me for that. If you have yet to vote, then as stated above, please strongly consider doing so.

Yes, I do agree with Patrick Hallgate of Network Rail, in the context of what he was rather pushed into stating at the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton last Saturday.

My recollection is rather different, in that I felt he made the comment unforced, and then looked as if he slightly regretted it.

I think most people who have met Patrick Hallgate are struck by just how calm, collected and self-assured he is, particularly under pressure. I actually think we may be doing him a disservice to suggest he was somehow the lamb led to meek slaughter at the hands of baying TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) wolves, even accepting (as I have) that the debate was lively to say the least.

Secondly, I strongly refute the suggestion that there was any 'negativity' from Network Rail at that meeting.  Patrick Hallgate was very positive about the need to keep options open for the future - while his current priority is, quite understandably, the need to re-open the Dawlish main line as soon as possible, he was very open to the ideas of 'additional' (not 'alternative') routes in south Devon.

Whilst I obviously appreciate the one man's "negativity" can often be another man's "understandable reticence", I do rather think it is stretching it to use phrases such as "very positive" and "very open" when judging Patrick Hallgate's attitude to such matters. For example, we heard an awful lot from him about the cons of the "additional" route options under consideration, but very little about the pros, which we know exist for (pretty much) all of the options because they have been debated at length by members I would consider to be knowledgeable on this forum.

During his presentation, Patrick Hallgate actually said that a reinstated route from Exeter to Okehampton and Plymouth could take up to an hour, not "1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours".  I was there, and I listened to what he said.  Lips sealed

Sitting as I was a couple of seats away, I know you were there and I am sure you were listening. However, there is clearly a difference in interpretation apparent in your post, and (as ChrisB and myself have discussed in a directly related topic) this is where the wording is crucial.

What I heard Patrick Hallgate say was that the London-Plymouth via Okehampton journey time would be nearer 4 hours, in the context of a lively debate surrounding the Plymouth area aspiration for a 3-hour journey time to London. ChrisB offers the following interpretation, which I agree is correct:

Thanks for the clarification, Lee - that is indeed what Mr Hallgate said....an hour over the 3hour aspiration.

That is crucially different from Patrick Hallgate saying that "a reinstated route from Exeter to Okehampton and Plymouth could take up to an hour" - my recollection is that he didn't.

Given that Patrick Hallgate definitely did say that the London-Plymouth via Okehampton journey time would be nearer 4 hours, in the context of a lively debate surrounding the Plymouth area aspiration for a 3-hour journey time to London, then I personally think that, even taking into account all the uncertainties over line engineering/service configuration etc, it is reasonable to assume that Patrick Hallgate has a ballpark journey time figure of about 1hr 40 mins - 2hrs in mind for the Exeter to Okehampton and Plymouth section.

Indeed, grahame makes a similar point in his recollection of the meeting:

a) I don't know the Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton route, but I did note with concern that some senior figures are evaluating it as an extra way to Plymouth based on the time taken by the few through trains that ran in the final, rundown days of the line, with lots of stops and start, rather than the time taken on it when it was a mainline, or the time that would be taken on it were it a new mainline with modern trains

Which leads us neatly on to:

Firstly, his comments were based on the proposal that any London - Plymouth via Okehampton line would be 'an additional line' rather than 'an alternative line' to the current main line through Dawlish.  The crucial difference is that any such 'additional line' would not necessarily be built to dual mainline specifications, or standards, or timings - so any subsequent debate on those assumptions clearly falls away.

I have taken on board and considered all the well-made points along the lines of those in the above quote ^ I really have. However, I also believe that if (and it^s a big if considering its got to come out overall as being a better option than DAL) the route via Okehampton is chosen and rebuilt, then all concerned will want a competitive journey time in order to justify the not inconsiderable amount of money that will cost ^ regardless of whether they class it as either an ^additional^ or ^alternative^ route.

That is why I personally think that Patrick Hallgate was unduly pessimistic when making the journey time comment, and why I personally voted for the ^No^ option.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: