Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:44:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare increases "up to 14%"  (Read 7517 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:24:16 »

As I came in to work this morning (sorry folks - I drove the half mile!) I had a few seonds to catch the end of a radio report saying that Januaryt fare rises are by up to 14% in some exceptional - nonregulated - cases, and a lot around 5%.    Regulated fares up by around 1% abover the rate of inflation.

A quick check of the paper I have didn't say anything FGW (First Great Western) specific.   Anyone know what's planned for us around here?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:03:25 »

Can't speak for anywhere else, but on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line:
  • Standard Day Returns are going down (Barnstaple-Exeter from ^13.50 to ^9.50)
  • Weekly Seasons are going down (Barnstaple-Exeter from ^38.10 to ^37.50)
  • Cheap Day Returns are staying the same (I think - not heard anyone say they're changing)

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:59:25 »

Press Release: First Great Western outlines January 2008 fares changes

Train operator First Great Western today announces details of the fares changes that will come into effect in January 2008.

In 2007, First Great Western did not increase its fares, but faced with ever-rising costs, the delivery of a ^200 million investment; and the change in balance from Government subsidy to payment to Government for the franchise, fares cannot be held indefinitely.

First Great Western fares regulated by the Government will rise by 4.8%, while unregulated fares will rise by 6.1% on average. This gives an overall average fares rise figure of 5.3%.

Some fares will be reduced, others frozen, and some fares will rise above this average figure ^ up to 9.8%.

Unregulated fares include all First Class fares, Standard Class Open fares, Cheap Day return and advance purchase fares.

Not all fares are going up, some fares have been held and Saver fares offers extended.

Andrew Haines, First Great Western's Chief Operating Officer, says: "We are investing ^200 million in trains stations and customer services and have spent over ^70 million in the past year. And more and more of the revenue we earn is being returned to Government year by year as national transport policy and payment for it, changes.

"Our investment includes achieving major carbon footprint reductions through fitting brand new engines that reduce emissions by 60 per cent, more seats and new train interiors on High Speed Trains and refreshed interiors on local trains, as well as station improvements and more staff."

Fares changes include:
  • Weekly Season tickets to London terminals on high speed services from West of Pewsey and Swindon will rise by 9.8%. Monthly Season tickets on high speed services on the same routes are to rise by 4.8 %.
  • Unregulated fares in the London and Thames Valley area will rise by up to 9.8%.
  • Key Saver Return fares will not rise on routes into London from: Swindon, Cheltenham Spa, Bristol, Exeter.
  • There will be no fares rise in Devon.
  • Fares on the Barnstaple to Exeter peak services are reduced.
  • Saver tickets will now be valid on the 1836 from London Paddington to Exeter for customers travelling to and beyond Pewsey.
  • New Day Ranger and Rover tickets in the London and Thames Valley area allowing unlimited off-peak travel ^ which permits Railcard and Child discounts to be used.
  • Bicester to Oxford fares held. Stroud Valley fares held.
  • Cheap Day fares around Cheltenham Spa are unchanged. Worcester to Bristol and Swindon fares held.
  • Fares in South Wales held.

Ends

For further information please contact the First Great Western press office on 01793 499499.  Press releases can be found on the company website www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/news

First Great Western provides high speed, commuter, regional and branch line train services, carrying more than 70 million passengers every year across the Greater Western rail franchise area, which includes South Wales, the West Country, the Cotswolds, and large parts of Southern England.

First Great Western is part of FirstGroup plc, the country's largest train operator, the UK (United Kingdom)'s biggest bus operator and the second largest provider of yellow school bus services in the United States. First has the clear vision to 'Transform Travel' and become the number one public transport provider.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 14:47:33 by TerminalJunkie » Logged

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 15:20:14 »

• New Day Ranger and Rover tickets in the London and Thames Valley area allowing unlimited off-peak travel ^ which permits Railcard and Child discounts to be used.
At last!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 17:00:26 »

Can't speak for anywhere else, but on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line:
  • Standard Day Returns are going down (Barnstaple-Exeter from ^13.50 to ^9.50)
  • Weekly Seasons are going down (Barnstaple-Exeter from ^38.10 to ^37.50)
  • Cheap Day Returns are staying the same (I think - not heard anyone say they're changing)

Hardly suprising BNP (Barnstaple) fares are going down, come on these people will have 142s by then....

An alternative way for FGW (First Great Western) to make money and cut costs would to be to run an effective, efficient rosters/resources centre..... hmmmmmmm
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 16:20:05 »

Some links :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7116486.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7116670.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7116811.stm

http://www.theticketcollector.co.uk/wordpress/2007/11/28/fares-to-rise/

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 17:25:38 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
courgettelawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 16:18:02 »

"In 2007, First Great Western did not increase its fares,"

I don't think this is strictly true.  Standard and Cheap Day returns from Salisbury to Southampton for example went up by about 17% (though I don't have the exact figure) in Jan 2007.  I remember querying this increase with FGW (First Great Western) at the time who said the increases at that time were to pay for the refurbishment of trains and stations.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 16:35:44 »

More on this (link below.)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/7117729.stm

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 17:58:20 »

"In 2007, First Great Western did not increase its fares,"

I don't think this is strictly true.  Standard and Cheap Day returns from Salisbury to Southampton for example went up by about 17% (though I don't have the exact figure) in Jan 2007.  I remember querying this increase with FGW (First Great Western) at the time who said the increases at that time were to pay for the refurbishment of trains and stations.

Might well be that South West Trains set fares from Salisbury to Southampton in which case FGW did not raise fares.
Sion Bretton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 20:06:31 »

Hi
Last week day return Melksham to Bristol ^8.20.
From 2/1/08 now ^9.00 that is 9.75% increase.

Cheap day return is ^8.90 and we can only get cheap day returns on Saturday's
SusanW

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 20:46:25 »

My monthly season ticket Swindon-London rose from ^562.20 to ^589.15, that's with the 5% discount. According to my calculations, that means my fare has risen by 4.9%, cancelling out any discount forever....
And for a poor service at that.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 10:32:58 »

Is the service from Swindon really that bad  Huh

You get a service to Paddington every 15 minutes or so...
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 13:32:57 »

When a taxi is cheaper than a First Group train trip:

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=226765&command=newPage
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: