27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:52:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: St Ives branch line - timetables, engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 20165 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 16:27:05 »

Fiennes (one of the genuine greats in the history of railway operators IMHO (in my humble opinion)) was fired by Barbara Castle for publishing that book, incidentally!

I don't think Barbara Castle was involved in his sacking - I'm pretty sure it was the BR (British Rail(ways)) Chairman of the time, Sir Stanley Raymond.

Evidently it was the publishing of extracts in Modern Railways in 1966 that did for him - the same issue that Roger Ford's first feature appeared in
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/ca14/ALYCIDON%20RAIL/Informed%20Sources%20Primer.htm

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 16:52:25 »

Ooops - didn't mean to start a political row or even make a political point. Shame on every government - blue and red - in the period up to 74 (let's not forget the early 70s closures of Ilfracombe, Kingswear, Okehampton and Minehead, amongst others) for their short-sighted and systematic destruction of the railways. I am nevertheless grateful that St Ives was reprieved and that's all I wanted to express.
That's ok Andy. Living in Bath the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) is much missed in these parts and that name does rile me a bit. And yes governments of red and blue have not served the railways well over the years. It is good that many lines that were down for closure managed to survive with many flourishing like the St Ives line which just goes to prove how totally short sighted many closures were as those who are now sitting in traffic as I write this where there was once a railway line will testify. Over simplifying things by saying that yes, but the loss of railway lines and tram networks has been a major contributer to the country's traffic problems.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 17:20:17 »

Ecky thump! Just had a quick look on Ebay and there's one copy at $155 and another at $82. Looks like demand may have shot up...

Are we sure it's not Coffeeshop members trying to outbid eachother?  Grin

It's ^29 here.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 18:21:05 »

Off topic much?  Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 21:07:10 »

In the circumstances, I'm content for it to remain so.  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 17:42:22 »

I have just read on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Travel news that additional services being provided between St. Ives and Lelant Sdgs due to volume of passengers.   Additional trains could not be pathed run because of the Single Line and would require additional crews whci would be hard to come by.    Does it mean that there is a strengthening Unit out ?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 17:54:33 »

Either that or "supplementary road transport" - ie a bus.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 18:06:27 »

St Ives was as busy as on a high season day today but the branch is low(ish) season 1x150.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 18:41:07 »

They were announcing this on pirate fm around 1730, and i tried to work out how it was possible. "Pirate FM described it as a non stop shuttle train"
The only way i could even see it possible if it "followed" just behind the normal service, but without signalling wouldnt be allowed, Or is there a gap in service it could fill in?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 19:29:47 »

I should imagine the unit is going St Erth to St ives.  Then straight back to Lelant Saltings and back to St ives.  Then St ives to St Erth and repeat.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 19:42:25 »

Early on today it was definitely in the guise of a 30 seat coach!!

So that's additional road services on the St Ives and the Falmouth lines because there's insufficient capacity. Where have all the 150's that we had during the summer gone  Huh

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 21:23:40 »

So that's additional road services on the St Ives and the Falmouth lines because there's insufficient capacity. Where have all the 150's that we had during the summer gone  Huh
Probably back to the Bristol area to cover peak commuter duties now the school holidays are over and everyone is back at work.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 22:15:34 »

They suspended Works Exams or various other tasks such as mods during the High Summer
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 09:53:26 »

Bank Holiday travel problems - from FGW (First Great Western) JourneyCheck:

09:38 St Erth to St Ives due 09:52 This train will be cancelled. This is due to a train fault.

09:53 St Ives to St Erth due 10:05 This train will be cancelled. This is due to a train fault.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 01:56:16 »

Whoop whoop - Summers here - 2 x 150 on the St Ives branch.
More capacity than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) supply to go to the Midlands.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: