I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:06:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: M4 closed in London due to CRACKS on viaduct!  (Read 24222 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:19:35 »

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18751083

Let's hope FGW (First Great Western) seize the initiative and put extra carriages on.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:24 »

And, pray tell, where will FGW (First Great Western) magic up these 'extra carriages' from?  Roll Eyes

I don't think FGW has a Fairy Godmother, like Cinderella, who can turn pumpkins into carriages.

Besides which the rolling stock fleets that serve Heathrow aren't FGW's responsibility. That responsibility lies with BAA (Heathrow Express) and BAA/First Group (Heathrow Connect). I'm fairly sure there's no extra carriages at their disposal either. Maybe a spare unit or two, but then what about paths, staff etc?

People driving to Heathrow are likely to continue to drive. The M4 isn't the only way by road to get there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 13:47:10 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:46 »

And it's ONE crack that's caused this closure. 'Exaggerate' seems to be your middle name, BTLine :-)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:08:26 »

The M4 is only closed between Heathrow and Central London.

So far as Heathrow is concerned most people driving will either be coming from the West or from the M25 the T5 entrance is from the M25 anyway.  People coming from Central London can probably work out other routes. 

The impact will come on those who choose to drive into London.  The effect will be the same as when the Hammersmith Flyover was shut.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 17:12:59 »

Come on BNM, I'm sure you know what I mean. Run 6 car turbo instead of 3 where possible this weekend. Get all the HSTs (High Speed Train) out.
A lot of motorists who drive into London on the M4 will be tempted to use the train today. Why focus on Heathrow? People driving from Worcester can use the M4.

When the Hammersmith Flyover was shut (same route), FGW (First Great Western) noticed a significant passenger increase.

Also - the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) state "cracks", so don't blame me for the headline.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 17:20:18 by Btline » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 18:07:32 »

That flyover was shut for *weeks*, not 5 days (max) - very different. It would also take FGW (First Great Western) several days to gear this up, by which time it would be open again in a couple. So just not worth it.

Read that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) again. It refers to *one* newly discvovered crack "in a sensitive area" that caused the immediate closure.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 18:46:29 »

Come on BNM, I'm sure you know what I mean. Run 6 car turbo instead of 3 where possible this weekend. Get all the HSTs (High Speed Train) out.
A lot of motorists who drive into London on the M4 will be tempted to use the train today. Why focus on Heathrow? People driving from Worcester can use the M4.

When the Hammersmith Flyover was shut (same route), FGW (First Great Western) noticed a significant passenger increase.

Also - the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) state "cracks", so don't blame me for the headline.

The Hammersmith Flyover closure also coincided with the peak in road fuel price and was week day closure.  Not sure this weekends closures will have that much effect because drivers will use the M40/A40 or the M3 instead,

If I drive into London from home (Maidenhead) my preference is the M40 ( I join it at J3) because it is quicker and slicker route into the West End

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 19:18:02 »

If all the M4 traffic switches to other routes, it will still cause congestion on those routes as well as the M25. The route will be shut on weekdays.

As such, I think it would be reasonable to expect higher passenger numbers.

PS: The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website headline states cracks as of 7.17pm. But that's not the issue I was intending to discuss when I started this thread. Roll Eyes
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 20:27:27 »

Read the article....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 21:26:22 »

No. You 'come on' Btline.  Angry

Where are these six car turbos amd HSTs going to dump your supposed extra passengers Btline? The nearest FGW (First Great Western) served stations to Heathrow are Hayes and Harlington and West Drayton.

Will someone from Central London or the south-east, who is planning to drive to Heathrow, really want to make a tube/bus/taxi journey to Paddington, a FGW train journey to Hayes & Harlington/West Drayton, then a bus/taxi journey to Heathrow, instead of finding an alternative route by road?

Even in the unlikely event that someone does dump the car in favour of public transport because of the closure of the M4 to Heathrow they will almost certainly be using Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect and not FGW from Paddington.

Any higher passenger numbers should easily be absorbed by HeX and HeC.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 21:37:51 »

Heathrow Express could run double sets of 332s rather than single sets at the weekends, normally they are only double sets Mondays-Fridays, if they need extra capacity.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 23:33:26 »

BNM, you seem to think the M4 links Heathrow to London only. What about longer distance traffic from Reading, Newbury, Swindon, Bath, Bristol?

That is what I'm talking about! People will be encouraged to switch to rail. Yes, there are alternate routes, but these will be extra busy.

Chris B - I'm talking about the headline, which is why I named the thread thus. Roll Eyes
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 00:38:14 »

BNM, you seem to think the M4 links Heathrow to London only. What about longer distance traffic from Reading, Newbury, Swindon, Bath, Bristol?

That is what I'm talking about! People will be encouraged to switch to rail. Yes, there are alternate routes, but these will be extra busy.

Are you on a wind up? The M4 is only closed between J1-J3.

Folk intending to drive to Heathrow from the west can still use the M4 all the way to the airport. People who intend to drive will still drive, even the vast majority who would normally use the M4 between J1<->J3. A few wishing to get to and from London from the West/South Wales may consider swapping to rail, but I doubt that'll warrant strengthened trains. Besides, there is nothing spare in the FGW (First Great Western) fleet; all that can be strengthened has been/is being strengthened to cater for existing capacity issues. There are also many alternatives to the M4 to get to London by road from the west. The M4 isn't the be all and end all.

There is NO passenger bonanza for FGW because of this road closure and it would be sheer folly of them to attempt to provide strengthened services to and from London. They'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul anyway with their limited rolling stock. Perhaps you'd like to see a few Cotswold Line HSTs (High Speed Train) turbostituted to move this non existent mass of passengers from the west?

There may also be a small increase in usage of HeX and HeC for folk wishing to get to the airport from London, but that's it.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 01:34:20 »

What about longer distance traffic from Reading, Newbury, Swindon, Bath, Bristol?
I challenge you to find multiple people who regularly travel from places like Bath and Bristol to London by car who are switching to the train due the the 'cracks'. There must be enough people to warrant this increase in demand though...

Oh, that's right, there won't be any.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:08:43 »

Great Western once had a mission statement "to empty the M4".  So, as BTline says in his own way, the M4 J1-J3 closure is an opportunity for FGW (First Great Western) to publicise (as they did with the Hammersmith Flyover closure) their services into London along with the parking opportunities at Theale (M4 J12) etc. for drivers coming up from the west.

And it doesn't take long to update a website or hang an extra set on to a Turbo (if any are available, no short platforms etc). 

I think BTline deserves to be heard without being rubbished by others.

edited for typos
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:43:11 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: