10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:52:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: M4 closed in London due to CRACKS on viaduct!  (Read 24352 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 12:00:09 »

I imagine most people will just take an alternative route, with traffic congestion being worse on routes in such as the M3, A4, A40 than normal.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 12:35:54 »

We were on a coach trip on Saturday which involved us returning from the Greenwich area to the  Newbury area west bound along the M4. For some reason our bus drive south of the river and the past Earls Court onto the A4 knowing the M4 was shut. This was an epic mistake and it took ages to re-join the M4 at Jn3.

When you have a coach full of beaver (cubs) desperate for the loo this was a challenging journey Smiley
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 16:43:08 »

But, current commuters are much less likely to switch back to driving if more people go on the trains, as they'll assume it's because of the M4.

I think getting some more travellers (not just commuters, but off peak people too) on the trains would be a good move. But seeing as FGW (First Great Western) did this with the Hammersmith Flyover, it seems that they've decided not to bother as it's obviously not worth their while.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 17:25:33 »

This thread was becoming a little headed concerning posting styles, etc, and I have split off some of the posts into a separate thread so that we can keep the rail (or motorway) stuff on track here.

The posts I have separated off can still be read by logged in regular contributing members at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10990.0

Hopefully I haven't damaged the ongoing sense of the thread too much, but you folks gave me a real challenge this time  Wink
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 17:33:10 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 20:30:07 »

Cannot say there hundreds of extra passengers at Maidenhead this morning trying to avoid the M4 closure

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 08:13:47 »

Indeed whilst I'm not a fan of FIRST, I will give credit that First run services on some Branch lines above the specified level, one example is that Plymouth-Gunnislake has a service of 9 trains a day Monday to Friday where as the MSL (Miniature Stop Lights (foot crossing)) is 8 trains.
The logic is good the Train is Hired, the Train Crew being paid so might as well work rather than sit in a Mess room, so the cost of the extra train is Fuel and Train path, but more trains means more passengers, and the Extra Branch line trains, which generally run good to time help push up the Trains run to time performance figures. All very good business sense.

Yet at the same time I consider (and hope others will agree) that Melksham in Wiltshire has been very badly served by FGW (First Great Western), when First took over from Wessex, the almost decent level of service was to cut back to a level NOT fitting for a town of Melkshams size.
Yet it's an Issue FGW just ignored, I'm sure that it wouldn't have hurt if one or two of the daily Plymouth, Paington, Exeter or Taunton to London services (and vicky versa) were routed via Westbury and Swindon calling at Melksham.

I've posted a full answer - now at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10992.0 ; I've separated it off into the TransWilts board area as it gets pretty long and really has little to do with the current M4 closure.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 17:52:01 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172073/Olympic-traffic-lights-red-spread-M4-jam-worsen-gridlock.html

Looks like there have been some really bad queues due to the combination of the M4 and the start of the Olympic traffic priorities. The SW London area seems particularly badly hit around Putney.

Let's hope they sort it out asap!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 18:25:16 »

e,nin stan'rd said it would be open at 6am tomorrow .............................   ................  Roll Eyes

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 20:09:37 »

e,nin stan'rd said it would be open at 6am tomorrow .............................   ................  Roll Eyes

Really? Latest from the Highways Agency is Monday at the earliest (although that's according to the DM).

Whatever the time, it is causing chaos. I hope FGW (First Great Western) are pressing for more pax.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 20:25:31 »

Highways Agency are saying via a Central Office of Information* press release issued today that the M4 between J2-J3 will not be open tomorrow morning as originally envisaged. All they are saying is:

"Conditional on the repair work being successful, it is still expected that the work will be completed and the road reopened within the next few days."

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/pressrelease.aspx?pressreleaseid=425190

*That department name always sounds vaguely Soviet to me.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 22:04:47 »

*That department name always sounds vaguely Soviet to me.

Shocked Cheesy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 00:59:05 »

Interesting to note that the Highways Agency press release has the sub-headline:

"HIGHWAYS AGENCY News Release issued by COI News Distribution Service on 11 July 2012."

Yet, according to http://coi.gov.uk/ the Central Office of Information was closed on 31st March 2012.

And if you navigate to this page: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011980 you are given the link: http://nds.coi.gov.uk/ which brings up 'Server not found'.  Undecided

Other Google searches just either direct to 'page not found' or the COI archives.

So, looks like the HA (Highways Agency) issued the press release themselves and did a 'cut and paste' with that sub-headline referencing the COI.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 00:28:01 »

The M4 misery is set to continue until Monday at least. Angry

Workers are now desperately preparing to paint a new set of Olympic lanes on the A30 to ferry VIPs from the airport, the first of which are due to land TODAY.

Regarding FGW (First Great Western) (and SWT (South West Trains)), the images of queues and the tirades on Twitter say it all, I wonder if passengers numbers are up?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 05:11:46 »

The M4 misery is set to continue until Monday at least. Angry

Workers are now desperately preparing to paint a new set of Olympic lanes on the A30 to ferry VIPs from the airport, the first of which are due to land TODAY.

I will have to speak to my Father In Law who is a volunteer driver for the Oympics to see if they have been given any guidence or advise in case this is an on-going issue. Having been caught in the chaos* this causes I'm sure they won't want the Olympic VIPs to suffer the same fate!

*To mods - I hope my use of the word "Chaos" is not deemed to dramatic here - on the Saturday I was caught up in it it caused about 2 hour delays to our journey and gridlock in the surrounding areas Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 06:12:17 »

Reopened this morning.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: