05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:15:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: W.I.H.I.H? - Delays 09/07/12  (Read 8496 times)
gpn01

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2012, 23:09:40 »

Had an important meeting this evening, so left the office early to allow for any possible delays.  So, check website- no delays showing.  Receive daily email notification - no delays.  Get to Paddington at 17:00 to see a theme developing of trains showing as 'on time' and then 'delayed' as the departure time gets closer.  Elected to go for the 17:12 (or 15?) slow, stopping, train to Maidenhead as it looked like there was something brewing - and there was no clue as to cause of delays other than delays being due to ...earlier delays!  Train departs and chugs along until it reaches Hayes.  Sits at platform for a while and I'm wondering how much longer it's going to wait and is it normal.  Eventually member of station staff boards train and announces train is now cancelled because of a fault.  Great, so now I'm stuck at Hayes....and timed perfectly to watch several trains out of Paddington whizzing past!  Fortunately the 17.42 (now delayed until 17:49) arrived but it was only a 3 carriage train (and the cancelled train, whose passengers were now standing on the platform) was a six carriage set I think....end result, frustration by passengers who'd been disgorged at Hayes without a proper explanation were now expected to squeeze onto an already busy train. 

Eventually made it to Maidenhead somewhat later than expected and none the wiser as to what had caused the original delay, what caused us to be disembarked at Hayes, why a train hadn't stopped en-route through Hayes to pick the passengers up (several went past).  Ho hum!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 23:13:58 »

My 16 year old son and his friend (same age) had exactly the same experience as you.. First time travelling on their own properly too (!). They are none the wiser either.. They assumed it was the train they/you were on had broken down.. Sounds like it might not be the case?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 23:16:25 »

oh and I'm sure you know as I imagine it was the same for you but they eventually got back to Maidenhead.. having not got on the next train through Hayes but the one after.. about 6.40.. Not bad for a 5.15 departure from Paddington  Huh
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 23:25:07 »

There had been a problem ongoing all afternoon and still isn't resolved yet. There was a track circuit failure near Langley on the down main line from around 1445. All trains were originally using the down relief line, which will have caused delays to all down trains and services using the up fast line. In the evening peak trains started using the down main line again but they had to stop at a signal and ring the signaller for authorisation to pass it whilst it was stuck showing a red aspect, this obviously delays trains quite a bit still, and limits how many services can be run via the main lines. I imagine a number of services that would usually run on the main lines to Slough or Maidenhead were instead running on the relief lines as there was not the capacity on the main lines for them. That problem should have been notified to people, it was well known and ongoing. The 17:15 London Paddington-Maidenhead failed at Hayes and had to be terminated there, but it was due to a pa fault, which is probably why information was poor on the failure, the driver couldn't communicate to the passengers.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 23:27:07 »

It sounds like the communication re the ongoing problem was non existent at Paddington then?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 00:51:38 »

Southern Stag, why would a PA (Public Address) fault require a service to be terminated, i have been on numerous services where it is at fault and is not audible, or is just crackles.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:17 »

It's in the rulebook, a train cannot operate with defective PA (Public Address) equipment. It's an important piece of equipment in the event of an emergency.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:12 »

It's in the rulebook, a train cannot operate with defective PA (Public Address) equipment. It's an important piece of equipment in the event of an emergency.

I could show my age here.  I don't ever remember any announcements in the 4EPBs - nor door locking, come to think of it. Mind you, in the early days only the brake van had brakes - not even the locomotives, and it would be unthinkable these days for the driver to have to ask the train manager to stop the train for him ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:29 »

I would be interested to know what the definition of "defective PA (Public Address)" is.  In the last six months I have been on HSTs (High Speed Train) where it seems that one of the PA microphones is not working properly.  Thus when the Train Manager made annoucements from this position he could not be heard, but when he used another it was fine.  On one occasion I did mention it as he passed through and he was grateful even though it meant he had to announce a short platform from a different handset and then move swiftly down the train to be at the correct panel to work the doors.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:07:12 »

I would be interested to know what the definition of "defective PA (Public Address)" is.  In the last six months I have been on HSTs (High Speed Train) where it seems that one of the PA microphones is not working properly.  Thus when the Train Manager made annoucements from this position he could not be heard, but when he used another it was fine.  On one occasion I did mention it as he passed through and he was grateful even though it meant he had to announce a short platform from a different handset and then move swiftly down the train to be at the correct panel to work the doors.

There is a difference between a 165/6 DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train and an HST with a TM(resolve), DOO needs a PA the drive dose not have the ability to walk through a train to advise on problems where as on an HST the TM can walk through.

I caught the 16:27 from Padd yesterday arrived Maidenhead on time

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:36:58 »

The entry in the Rule Book regarding Public Address Systems can be read here, which is part of Rule Book module TW5.

On a DO train, passengers must only be allowed to travel in vehicles on which the public address system is working.

Further reading (if you've got lots of time to spare!) on the Rule Book and Railway Group Standards, which covers all aspects of safe and correct operation on the rail network and its stations, depots, yards, signal boxes/signalling centres etc. can be read at rgsonline.co.uk.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:40:48 »

Always been a bit of a silly rule as the driver of a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train (and indeed TM(resolve)'s on non-DOO trains) often won't be aware if the PA (Public Address) in a particular carriage isn't working.  It's not something you can easily check.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:55 »

It would appear then that, had there not been existing problems following the TC(resolve) failure, this unit with the faulty PA (Public Address) may well have continued as booked - the driver having no need to use the PA to inform passengers about delays.

But then I suppose once a safety critical issue becomes known the Rule Book has to be followed to the er, rule.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 12:50:35 »

It does beg the question of how did the driver become aware of a defective P.A. and how is it tested once the train is in service?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 13:06:31 »

In almost all cases regarding DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) services the failure is a complete failure throughout the entire unit, rather than an individual carriage.  Something like the cab handset failing would be something the driver would be aware of and would need to act on, whereas something like the speakers not working in the middle carriage would usually only be detected whilst testing on depot.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: