Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:46:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Model railways, women (or men), alcohol and (maybe) other 'hobbies'.....  (Read 5564 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:39:18 »

Moderator Note: This post, and the continuation has been hived off from another thread as the conversation drifted off topic and was getting decidedly light hearted....

Apologies. Off topic....

Okay, it's only OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) gauge, but here's a working HST (High Speed Train) in NSE (Network South East) livery:

TFRB is the wrong way round though. Can't have OO scale proles walking through 1st Class to get to the buffet.

Wink Tongue Grin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 17:10:42 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:44:06 »

@bnm - is that your set?! I have often wondered how many forum members "enjoyed" model railways.

I do, but only because I don't want my son to get lonely when he is "playing" Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:49:58 »

Not my set. I don't have any OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) stuff these days. Sold all my Hornby/Lima/Peco stuff when I discovered girls and alcohol!  Grin

Google was my friend.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:45:51 »

Google was my friend.

... for discovering what, the girls or the alcohol!? Cheesy
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:48:25 »

Google was my friend.

... for discovering what, the girls or the alcohol!? Cheesy

I did wonder but thought I was missing the obvious!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 13:33:52 »

Sorry, should have said, "Google was my friend" first.

Google gave me the pic of the NSE (Network South East) liveried OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) gauge HST (High Speed Train).

When I was discovering girls and alcohol (circa 1989) Google wasn't around. I actually had to get out of the house....

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 16:47:31 »

You mean you've actually stopped discovering girls and alcohol ?
I thought both were lifelong incurable conditions ! Shocked
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 17:22:01 »

I've not stopped any of those pursuits. Although the sabbatical from model railways has been the longest. All I've got at the moment is a Hornby OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) gauge Class 52 'Western Courier'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 19:00:55 »

My dad sold my Hornby layout while I was at boarding school.... so I found girls and alcohol by way of solace.... Grin
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 23:14:05 »

I actually won a model railway train set for coming a runner up in a design a poster competition for the railway, to warn of the dangers of trespass, if I recall.

I was given the day off school and went up to London on an InterCity 125, taken into the cab and shown around, and then a tour of some model place in London (forget the details), then met Tony Hart for tea while he presented the awards Smiley Still have the photos somewhere!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:19 »

I sort of have a model railway.

When I was a little boy, I dearly wanted a train set. My parents weren't well off, but one birthday they managed to find a HUGE boxed set in the sales. It was my pride and joy! Little did we realise at the time that the reason it was cheap was that it was being discontinued, so I wasn't easily able to add to it afterwards.

Those of you of a certain age will already have guessed that this was the mid-1960s and my parents had bought me a Triang TT set. After a year or two I joined the 3mm Society (member number 926) and was able to buy a few more bits and pieces, but then I too discovered sex and beer and rock 'n' roll and the lot was packed away for the next 40 years....

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. A neighbour's brother in law had died and he was disposing of the estate, which happened to include an "attic full of model railway stuff, his lifelong passion - trouble is I don't know how to sell it because it's this really weird scale, somewhere between OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) and N"

I immediately recognised that he must be talking TT and offered him a *cough* sensible price for the whole lot Smiley

It took me 40+ years but finally, I had added to my train set. 30 coaches, at least 12 locos, truckloads of trucks, plastic buildings, unmade kits, 80 sets of points, yards and yards of track. Even a Triang turntable. Most of it boxed.

I confess I haven't had time to do a lot with it - it's been added to the long list I have of "retirement projects" - but I wouldn't part with it now for the world.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 20:05:53 »

So, the question is: is it possible to have model railways, girls and alcohol?

I was kindly given this birthday card last month by two female friends who had recently discovered that I spend a fair amount of my time travelling by train for the purpose of travelling by train...

It might look like a Deltic, but it's no Thomas the Tank Engine, I can tell you that.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 20:37:43 »

It's just occured to me that the topic title I chose for this thread may not be all inclusive and could be seen as a little un-PC. To that end I've now amended it to include both genders.

I'm sure there are some girls who like model railways. I know plenty who like alcohol.....

Tongue Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 20:49:53 »

I don't but I did find a sign at betwys y coed mini railway place sexist!

I took a photo buts in on the home computer

Was something about the addiction of railways but it was definitely describing MEN as did not allo w for women

Will find when next home - or get him indoor to dig it out

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: