Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:20:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Go Op AGM, Chippenham: July 18, 2015
  • Go-Op Cooperative AGM: June 23, 2016
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Go-Op Cooperative - update  (Read 77779 times)
george

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2012, 19:35:27 »

Hi

I'm new and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about what was happening with the new Go-Op Cooperative Westbury-brum services via Melksham . Has this proposal been dropped or just have they just not had enough news for a summer newsletter or any Twitter/Wikipedia updates.

Any info would be very much welcomed...

george

PS. Have I posted this in the right place?

Edit - changed subject line , 21st August, as this has turned into an update thread
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 17:30:36 by grahame » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 21:24:36 »

Hi, George, and welcome to the forum.   There's three boards that are logical for the Cooperative proposals .. and this is one of them  Wink . The others would be the one that deals with Oxford services from the West, and the one from Oxford to Banbury.

To my own knowledge, the newsletter at http://go-op.coop/workspace/images/GO-OP-Newsletter-Spring-2012.pdf is their most recent, but that's been moved on a little in the last few weeks for everyone in that the LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) bid it mentions has been approved.  There's more on this at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10956.msg113702#msg113702 and what it may mean at the TransWilts 'end' of their proposed route.  Others who are members here may have a further update.  Bear in mind that things often seem to take an age through the labarynth of rail management, and that a gap of what's said in public doesn't mean nothing's happening, nor that a scheme's gone away.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:22:26 »

For an update, Go-op, July 2012 newsletter is at http://www.go-op.coop/workspace/uploads/files/go-op_newsletterjul12.pdf

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 13:28:36 »

Anyone care to take a bet with me that this service probably won't ever be up and running in any meaningful manner and certainly won't be operating before the next Olympics?!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 13:54:21 »

If the new franchise operates the planned service to Melksham, then I expect this proposal will be axed as it will be unviable.

Shame for anyone with a Coop card, as I expect you will have been able to collect points!
dking

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 16:29:17 »

According to a very good friend of mine Go-op (the new name was necessitated by threats of lawsuits over the 'Goco' name - think 'Gocomp***) is still on schedule to gain a Track Access Agreement. Ian Yeowart who spoke to the AGM (Annual General Meeting) on 21st June said that we had done quite well in navigating the bureaucratic maze so far. These things do take time and we don't have millions to throw at the process. Anyone can join Go-op - fifty quid a time and members' input is always valuable. Just click on <www.go-op.coop> and you can be part of a new Train Operating Co-op.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 16:34:57 »

I would imagine that the Coop have more/better lawyers than Go Compare!

The shops are still Coop...
dking

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 17:01:06 »

Thanks for the quick response ... better than the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)!

Go-op, while it's a co-operative organisation, is an entirely separate co-operative organisation from the Co-operative Group, which operates the majority of Co-op shops in the country. Or any other co-operative organisation, for that matter. You might just as well ask why Virgin Trains doesn't pick up the the tab for South West Trains - after all, they're both railways, aren't they?

We have links, though, and hope to have the same relationship with other co-ops as does the Phone Co-op <www.thephone.coop>, being mutually supportive.

We still need new investors, though.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 17:33:08 »

Just to add a pennyworth here.   When a new / changed service is being talked about, there are periods that it will naturally be in the public eye and periods where the things that are happening are happening behind the scenes.   With all the activity on the franchise side at the start of this year - the consultation from January to March, and the publication of the ITT (Invitation to Tender) in July, that's been in its "public eye" phase, whereas Go-op has been in a different phase.  Avid readers may have noted a comment I made a while back that there are five companies who could end up running trains on the TransWilts line.

Now that there is funding for TransWilts (LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) and associated bid funds), it's a question of making it happen, and there are people working on that - and it involves talking and working with all potential operators.  The objective is to ensure provision of an appropriate level of service, and to ensure that it's provided and supported by everyone concerned in such a way that it works - for the area, and for whoever is operating the trains, so that it succeeds and carries on succeeding.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 17:46:24 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 17:45:09 »

Following up ... there's rather more comment that I wrote about the next 15 years here:

http://www.wellho.net/mouth/3826_TransWilts-trains-what-the-next-franchise-period-will-bring.html

and you'll probably note (if you make a study of these things) that the "it could look like this to meet the spec" example shows a service that also happens to fit in with the Go-op suggestions.

dking

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:27 »

Grahame: useful analysis.

On a related note - Go-op is looking for a venue for its bi-monthly (during the day) Board meetings.

Criteria: must be free, must be rail accessible (or reasonably so as we're trying to cut out car journeys) and be within about a Bristol/Taunton/Westbury sort of area.

Is there a BRSA (British Rail Staff Association)/GWSA/union room anywhere? Or does anyone know of a handy venue?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 14:36:31 »

latest Go-Op newsletter for June 2013 available here:

http://www.go-op.coop/workspace/uploads/files/go-op_newsletter6.pdf

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 15:00:02 »

Glad to see some sort of update. I think it would be nice to see a new open acess operator but like Wrexham and Shropshire I have my concerns about how long they will last.

The issue about rolling stock is interesting, I thought they were looking at ordering some trains from CSRE which would have given the chinese manufacturer a chance to prove that they could build good reliable trains although that looks like it is dead in the water.

The comments about trams is another interesting point especially after  the failure of their proposed service using a parry people mover of course I believe Parry are under threat of being wound up. Still I wouldnt mind them trying to run a tram route through Bristol City Centre which would be better than the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 15:05:37 by anthony215 » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 22:26:34 »

http://www.go-op.coop/workspace/uploads/files/go-op_newsletter7.pdf

Latest update now available.

I have to say that the section on progress (or otherwise) of the track application tends to confirm my long held thoughts that this project will never see the light of day.  The thought that investors will put up enough capital to buy brand new trains for the route in question seems far fetched. Added to which, the credibility of the co-op movement has not been enhanced of late, and the one part of the route where they could genuinely have provided a service is about to have a meaningful service reinstated.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 00:06:32 »

Posting personally, rather than as an Admin on this forum: I share John R's concerns that the 'go-op.coop' proposition is now, rather sadly, an apparently dead duck.

Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: