I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:35:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Go Op AGM, Chippenham: July 18, 2015
  • Go-Op Cooperative AGM: June 23, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Go-Op Cooperative - update  (Read 77789 times)
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 18:56:03 »

Ah The Norwegian Blue beautiful plumage.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 11:19:12 »

Interesting to see that 'some Taunton to Yeovil direct' services are planned. Where would the reversal take place? Is the signalling infrastructure in place to cross back east of Castle Cary? My knowledge of the current layout is insufficient to visualise this.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:17 »

I hope I’m wrong but it seems the announcement is nothing but the usual vague and probably unworkable plan and totally unrealistic timescale for implementation given the many hoops they’ll have to jump through before a train can turn a wheel.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 11:41:04 »

I hope I’m wrong but it seems the announcement is nothing but the usual vague and probably unworkable plan and totally unrealistic timescale for implementation given the many hoops they’ll have to jump through before a train can turn a wheel.
Spare bedroom fantasist takes in naive and gullible local journos...

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 12:52:24 »

I worry that if it drags out too long, there will be problems not just with bats, but re-evolved dinosaurs.

Spare bedroom fantasist takes in naive and gullible local journos...

Paul

A bit harsh, maybe, but time will tell.

See you all again next year.

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 13:20:36 »

Possibly harsh, but how many massive and random route variations have there been since first proposed?  Nuneaton, Moor St, Taunton, Yeovil, Weymouth? 

Seems like sticking pins in a map...

Paul

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 13:36:47 »

Possibly harsh, but how many massive and random route variations have there been since first proposed?  Nuneaton, Moor St, Taunton, Yeovil, Weymouth? 

Seems like sticking pins in a map...

Paul

The core of Yeovil - Castle Cary - Frome - Westbury - Swindon - Oxford - Banbury - Leamington Spa has been pretty much there from the start, and covers a number of excellent flows that are distinctly poorly provided for at present. I share concerns but would see route changes more as a flapping of the limbs at the end and not "massive and random".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 12:23:02 »

Oxford Mail published 6 hours ago

TRAIN passengers could speed between Swindon and Oxford in under an hour, if a new railway co-operative has its way.

Go-Op, a company founded a decade ago by frustrated rail passengers from Somerset, hopes to run regular services between Somerset and Nuneaton.

The firm hopes to launch the project next summer, with the service up and running by 2031. It needs to raise £3.5m over the next three to six months.

Alex Lawrie, operations director and a founder member of the co-operative, said: “The technical difficulties are hard to overstate. The UK (United Kingdom) railways are for good reason carefully regulated and we must prove in great detail that our ideas stack up.

Continues with familiar text (from press release  Grin )

As ever, so much interesting to see where comments lead people ...

Why do they hate Oxford so much? Next, they will be proposing dialling the 420. No one wants Swindon to be any closer - in travel times, or any other respect. No one wants that.
Err ... there's an awful lot of people on the Swindon to Oxford journey already - by car, bus, and train changing at Didcot.  I wonder where the poster's evidence is that none of these would like a faster travel time.

I wish them all the best and hope the schedules are workable for commuters.
I also hope they'll consider a late train in both directions too.
Ditto - if we clarify that "late train" is a train scheduled at the very end of the evening, and not one that has a schedule but runs far behind it!.   A late Oxford to Swindon (and on via Westbury) is very much in the plans as I understand them and fills a very real gap which no-one else (GWR (Great Western Railway) / DfT» (Department for Transport - about) / Wiltshire council) has plugged.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 13:15:41 »

If it ever comes to pass I would hope Swindon to Oxford would be in well under an hour!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 14:16:50 »

Although I can guess at the reasons why they have omitted a stop at Didcot on their suggested route they can't expect to garner support from the local councils in Oxfordshire as a result, as it won't assist in their objective in getting Didcot-Oxford(-Bicester) up to a 4 per hour frequency.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 15:15:16 »

With such a limited service they wouldn’t do much to help any 4tph service aspirations even if they did stop at Didcot.  Best to avoid it if you ask me as I’m sure it would make a higher hurdle to jump if they tried to argue that it wouldn’t be primarily abstractive.

That’s before the try and shoe-horn in a path at Didcot station!

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 15:29:02 »

As ever, so much interesting to see where comments lead people ...

Why do they hate Oxford so much? Next, they will be proposing dialling the 420. No one wants Swindon to be any closer - in travel times, or any other respect. No one wants that.
Err ... there's an awful lot of people on the Swindon to Oxford journey already - by car, bus, and train changing at Didcot.  I wonder where the poster's evidence is that none of these would like a faster travel time.

I think that's just the traditional Oxford-Swindon rivalry. Oxford United and Swindon Town are sworn enemies in a Spurs/Arsenal or Man City/Man United fashion. Just a few divisions lower down...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2019, 15:54:03 »

Although I can guess at the reasons why they have omitted a stop at Didcot on their suggested route they can't expect to garner support from the local councils in Oxfordshire as a result, as it won't assist in their objective in getting Didcot-Oxford(-Bicester) up to a 4 per hour frequency.

Open Access operators are between something of a rock and a hard place when it comes to selecting where to stop - or to propose to stop.   Trawling back through things that half-sunk-in with various open access startups a few years back, I can recall instances where they had to miss out what seemed like blindingly obvious calls because (with such calls) they would be dupicating franchised journeys to the extent of signficant abstraction of passengers.

[Above was on my screen / written when I got called away ... see the IndustryInsider has the same thought]

Also to note - the relative infrequency of the service would be nothing like as big a hurdle to building traffic as it would be if there was no practical alternative ...  put in the 06:30 from Frome into Oxford at 08:05, a return at 17:45 from Oxford that calls at Frome at 19:20 and you're providing key peak services - 07:30 Swindon to Oxford and 17:45 back to Swindon at 18:20.  But that return service ain't the end of the story if someone gets delayed ... there are other options (currently 18:10, into Swindon at 19:00, change Didcot is the next one).  People have the convenience and speed of a direct train at their normal time, but a fallback that's not too shabby for occasional use.

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2019, 15:54:25 »

With such a limited service they wouldn’t do much to help any 4tph service aspirations even if they did stop at Didcot.  Best to avoid it if you ask me as I’m sure it would make a higher hurdle to jump if they tried to argue that it wouldn’t be primarily abstractive.

That’s before the try and shoe-horn in a path at Didcot station!

Maybe they could bring forward the long term aspiration of a building platform on the west curve. After all there is already an undercover route now half way from the main station through the multi-storey carpark Smiley

(Didcot-Oxford paths are precious in themselves too of course. The councils probably think their aspirations could be solved in part by the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) franchise being forced to stop there, even if that means building yet another new platform, this time on the avoiding curve - or even the fantasy new station further east.)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2019, 18:23:52 »

A short news item on this in the latest "Railway Magazine" out on Wednesday (3 April).

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: