Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:57:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Go Op AGM, Chippenham: July 18, 2015
  • Go-Op Cooperative AGM: June 23, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Go-Op Cooperative - update  (Read 77785 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2021, 16:15:07 »

From the Bishops Lydeard Facebook Page, that excellent source of news about plans on the TransWilts line  Cheesy Cheesy

GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter) is a co-operative society, planning to run an electric train service between Bishops Lydeard, Taunton & Swindon. They have launched a consultation about their plans. More details below in the link above and for our Transport scholar members at http://www.passenger.chat/24561 where I've just started a discussion on the issues.

Electric innovation in Bishops Lydeard? Your views are requested.

A project funded by Innovation UK (United Kingdom) is seeking to bring 21st century rail technology to the 19th century station at Bishops Lydeard ? a renewable energy generation and storage system for a battery powered train.

The "Transport Scholars" board referred to (above) is where we occasionally go deeply into specific subject - admins, moderators, data managers always there - other members very welcome if they wish to be.  Please like this topic if you would like me to add you in so the link works - I will check back from time to time until 25th January to follow up.  As an alternative, send me a personal message.  Sorry - Transport Scholars is a members-only area for regular contributors
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 16:31:47 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2021, 16:27:45 »

It's something new to talk about for a few years, I suppose.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2021, 16:34:25 »

It's something new to talk about for a few years, I suppose.

Hmmm ... or has Go-op now learned its way in to be making proposals where all the ducks line up? Answer, please, not here but in the "Transport Scholars" area - http://www.passenger.chat/24561 .

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2021, 20:00:10 »

Sorry grahame, force of habit. I have learned not to get too excited when I see Go-op over the past 8 years. I'll be wrong one day.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2021, 21:06:10 »

Sorry grahame, force of habit. I have learned not to get too excited when I see Go-op over the past 8 years. I'll be wrong one day.

The long history of Go-op is certainly a factor which helps colour views of their proposals.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2021, 21:13:10 »

The long history of Go-op is certainly a factor which helps colour views of their proposals.

To be fair, 8 years is but a moment in railway projects. I am surprised they are still going for it, though, even if "it" changes often.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2021, 19:14:13 »

From Go-op

PRESS RELEASE

Friday 23rd April 2021

Rail users co-operative adopts a viable timetable for Somerset and Wiltshire rail link Rail travel could get a boost in Somerset and Wiltshire as a new train operator adopts a significant addition to the rail timetables from summer 2022. The proposal from GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter), which unusually for the rail industry is a co-operative, includes connecting mainline rail with Bishops Lydeard on the independent West Somerset Railway line. By starting a not-for-profit business owned by those who travel on its trains and work for it, GO-OP’s ambition is to establish a new ‘rail corridor’ between Taunton and Swindon. Several stations in Somerset and Wiltshire that have limited levels of service such as Castle Cary, Frome, and Melksham will see significant increases in the number of departures; and connecting services will open up rail journeys that are currently impractical such as Taunton to Yeovil and Frome to Swindon.

Discussions between GO-OP and the West Somerset Railway could lead to a scheduled daily service linking the national rail network, via Taunton, to the heritage railway at Bishops Lydeard for the first time in 50 years. Passengers will be able to change there for leisure services to Minehead, and may also see an increase in bus services so that more people in West Somerset and North Devon can access the railway.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2021, 20:02:07 »

I'll say this for them. They don't give up. But it always seems to be next year. 12 months to introduction seems very optimistic given the procedures that have to be completed and trains to be acquired.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2021, 20:40:33 »

From Go-op

PRESS RELEASE

Friday 23rd April 2021

Rail users co-operative adopts a viable timetable for Somerset and Wiltshire rail link Rail travel could get a boost in Somerset and Wiltshire as a new train operator adopts a significant addition to the rail timetables from summer 2022. The proposal from GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter), which unusually for the rail industry is a co-operative, includes connecting mainline rail with Bishops Lydeard on the independent West Somerset Railway line. By starting a not-for-profit business owned by those who travel on its trains and work for it, GO-OP’s ambition is to establish a new ‘rail corridor’ between Taunton and Swindon. Several stations in Somerset and Wiltshire that have limited levels of service such as Castle Cary, Frome, and Melksham will see significant increases in the number of departures; and connecting services will open up rail journeys that are currently impractical such as Taunton to Yeovil and Frome to Swindon.

Discussions between GO-OP and the West Somerset Railway could lead to a scheduled daily service linking the national rail network, via Taunton, to the heritage railway at Bishops Lydeard for the first time in 50 years. Passengers will be able to change there for leisure services to Minehead, and may also see an increase in bus services so that more people in West Somerset and North Devon can access the railway.

Further quote from "a WSR spokesperson" :

Quote from:
“The WSR has always encouraged train operators to run trains to connect with the very popular heritage steam trains that run from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead”, said a spokesperson for West Somerset Railway. “We are at an early stage and will continue discussions as GO-OP resolves the many issues involved in running on the national network."

Definitely looks like a fair bit of cooperation has taken place between WSR and Go-op on this:

“We have been working towards this point for many years since we first began meeting as a group of frustrated rail travellers”, said GO-OP’s Operations Director Alex Lawrie, “and for a while it looked like the pandemic might be one challenge too many. We are very grateful to the volunteers and staff of the West Somerset Railway, and to the many rail industry experts, who have enabled us to bring forward proposals that actually exceed our original ambitions in many ways.”

There's even a timetable, which would certainly have quite an impact on the TransWilts line, particularly in terms of the viability of future ambitions such as regular pattern services to Southampton, Oxford snd Birmingham.

It's almost as if someone at the WSR has read grahame's Minehead timetable proposals...

Footnote - a guess at what a National Rail service could look like

Year 1:
80 minute journeys ...
From Minehead at
05*45, 07#05, 09z00, 12w00, 15w00, 18:00 and 21:00
From Taunton at
07:05, 10w30, 13w30, 16z30, 18#00, 19:30 and 22*30

Don't like guessing ... wanted a bit of light relief from something else so had a play, and had a couple of nagging wonders if it would work.

* Crossing National Rail services at Williton ONLY
* Terminating at platform on Seaward Road directly beside / behind Butlins
* National Rail trains do not use Minehead heritage station which can be locked secure out of hours

Early train all year off Minehead handles connecting London and Bristol commuters
Second train is for Bristol / Cardiff ... school and commuters in to Taunton
Third train is hospital / shopping / leisure traffic
18:00 caters for commuters returning home from Minehead (pity about it being much earlier in summer?)
21:00 is final train for homebound people;  Bristol connection at Taunton M-F

First train off Taunton provides for commuters into Minehead
Next two in winter provide for daytime arrivals (time difference no great problem in summer?)
16:30, 17:55 and 19:30 are school / commuter returns (pity 16:30 is earlier in summer)
Late train inbound at 22:30 for the night owls

Norton Fitzwarren, Doniford, Crowcombe and Stogumber services possibly thinner than need be, pointing joerneys towards Taunton in the morning, back later in the day.

* Heritage trains cross at Crowcombe, Williton and Blue Anchor
* Heritage YELLOW timetable used - peak services only minor mods.
- Only mix of heritage and National is from 18:09 to 18:30 - cross at Crowcombe.
- Diesel heritage services call at Minehead (Seaward Road)
- Only first outbound / last inbound steam trains call at Seaward Road to avoid cutting into service time

Keeping an eye on both day trips out from Butlins and arrival / departures from there.

Some summer / through train concerns as might be a bit tight; want to avoid double change?  How about longer layover at Bishops Lydeard which allow for staff PNBs (Personal Needs Break)?    How important is through Bristol service during day in summer - are connection at Taunton for London ad the north more critical?   Changes at Bishops Lydeard - run National Rail terminators to bay so that it can be cross platform to / from heritage and National Rail will not get in way of steam run around.

Connections at Bishop's Lydeard quicker in one direction, slower in other for mechandising
All have some allowance for making up time
All services except 16:15 off Minehead have National Rail connections (no NR» (Network Rail - home page) train avaiable)

...and thought to themselves "let's see how he likes it when we write the future timetable for his line!"

I am sure that's just me being "Mr Cynic" though...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2021, 15:44:41 »

I won't be holding my breath.

I notice the really useful 1644 from Swindon has a note that says "Cancel one day every 24 weeks, and one day every four weeks."

So does that mean it is cancelled one day every four weeks, and then an additional cancellation every 24 weeks? 

And why? Is it so that some maintenance schedule is kept (say a visit by a track recording vehicle), or maybe a very occasional freight path?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2021, 16:30:06 »

I won't be holding my breath.

I notice the really useful 1644 from Swindon has a note that says "Cancel one day every 24 weeks, and one day every four weeks."

So does that mean it is cancelled one day every four weeks, and then an additional cancellation every 24 weeks? 

And why? Is it so that some maintenance schedule is kept (say a visit by a track recording vehicle), or maybe a very occasional freight path?

Measurement trains almost certainly. They do run on 4-, 8-, and 24-week schedules, and those are in the TPR (The Pensions Regulator)  (national section). The last stable one I've got shows those runs at the wrong time of day to affect that service. However, from the version currently on line, it looks as if the timings are being revised.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:30:04 by VickiS » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2021, 20:06:04 »

...and thought to themselves "let's see how he likes it when we write the future timetable for his line!"

I suspect it is, Lee.   There are some useful trains in there - not just the one picked out by Celestial.   There's headscrathers too.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2021, 18:16:40 »

I suspect it is, Lee.   There are some useful trains in there - not just the one picked out by Celestial.   There's headscrathers too.

I've gotten very technical on this on the Transport Scholars area ... http://www.passenger.char/24926 ... also dropped a note to the signatory on the timetable .... "Clearly a lot of work in there, but some things puzzle us. Is there background documentation?  Would love to help inform / tune from a community viewpoint if it’s still at that stage."

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2021, 08:58:14 »

From the Wiltshire Times

A new train company is hoping to open up the south west and even the south coast to rail passengers from Wiltshire

Go-Op trains, a co-operative based in Taunton wants to run services from Swindon down through Wiltshire taking in Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, and Westbury all the way to Weston Super Mare and Taunton and Bishops Lydeard.

It could even hook up with the heritage West Somerset Railway at the end of its route – allowing leisure passengers access to Minehead.

But the firm says the plan will be for commuters as well as those travelling for leisure.

Article continues ....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2021, 11:55:10 »

From the Melksham News

Story posted on May 12, 2021

Rail travel in Melksham could get a boost from a train operator proposing a significant addition to the rail timetable from summer 2022.

The proposal from GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter) – an independent co-operative society – to provide passenger routes between Bishops Lydeard in Somerset (a station on the independent West Somerset Rail- way, not currently served by the main or connecting lines) and Swindon, could “significantly” increase the volume of services at Melksham by a third.

The service will provide an additional six departures a day from Melksham – an additional three services to Chippenham and Swindon; and three direct services connecting the town to Westbury, Frome, Castle Cary and Taunton.

And the service will open up more interchange possibilities, making trips to Salisbury, Southampton and Yeovil more viable.

((continues))

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: