Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 23:14:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Go Op AGM, Chippenham: July 18, 2015
  • Go-Op Cooperative AGM: June 23, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Go-Op Cooperative - update  (Read 78310 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2021, 07:33:38 »

Or even from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead !

May I suggest a really novel idea - have a Bishops Lydeard base in the MIDDLE of the route and run a public train service from Taunton to Minehead. Once successful (and the operator has good experience of running that public service), extend it.  Options there would include Taunton - Frome - Trowbridge - Swindon - Oxford - Milton Keynes to fill in gaps linking county towns across Central Southern England, and Bridgwater - Burnham - fast to Bristol suburban stations to supplement their slow and less-than-walkup frequency at present.

An example of a bay platform where a service from Minehead could terminate:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2021, 15:23:10 »

News from a Taunton councillor at the Railfuture meeting today at Yatton is that Go-op plan to start the Bishops Lydeard to Swindon service in May or December 2022, using class 150 trains retired by Transport for Wales as their new class 19x come into service.
The availability of a reasonable number of relatively cheap-to-run PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) modified diesel trains in the form of the ex-TfW class 150s could be quite an opportunity for new services, whether run by Go-op or otherwise. I'm not sure how to react to the details though - my understanding was that the 150s were to be replaced by 231s and 756s (not by 197s) and not before 2023. The class 197s were originally planned to replace 158s and 175s in 2022 but that is an awful idea since the 158s and 175s are far superior trains to class 197s and the diesel-only 197s would derail any hope of electrification. If the plan has now changed to see 150s replaced by 197s in 2022 instead of 158s and 175s then that's great in some respects but not others.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2021, 19:14:43 »

News from a Taunton councillor at the Railfuture meeting today at Yatton is that Go-op plan to start the Bishops Lydeard to Swindon service in May or December 2022, using class 150 trains retired by Transport for Wales as their new class 19x come into service.
The availability of a reasonable number of relatively cheap-to-run PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) modified diesel trains in the form of the ex-TfW class 150s could be quite an opportunity for new services, whether run by Go-op or otherwise. I'm not sure how to react to the details though - my understanding was that the 150s were to be replaced by 231s and 756s (not by 197s) and not before 2023. The class 197s were originally planned to replace 158s and 175s in 2022 but that is an awful idea since the 158s and 175s are far superior trains to class 197s and the diesel-only 197s would derail any hope of electrification. If the plan has now changed to see 150s replaced by 197s in 2022 instead of 158s and 175s then that's great in some respects but not others.
Discussion of the merits (or otherwise) of the new fleet for TfW is a rather rapid diversion that is completely off-topic.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2021, 20:26:33 »

Discussion of the merits (or otherwise) of the new fleet for TfW is a rather rapid diversion that is completely off-topic.

If but that were the only problem with Go-op's proposals...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2021, 12:04:56 »

Not completely off-topic; it's relevant because if TfW aren't releasing 150s in 2022 then obviously the Taunton councillor's news is incorrect. Or, alternatively, if the Taunton councillor is correct then TfW are releasing 150s earlier than originally expected...

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2022, 08:27:05 »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mineheadraillinkgroup/posts/1579613502384694/

This post is just for those interested in how the GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter) project is developing.  Here is a 2022 update as promised last year.

a) The very difficult challenge of acquiring suitable rolling stock has now been resolved.  Over the last 6 months a series of meetings with a major ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) and Network Rail has resulted in confirmed availability of repurposed Class 153 units.  The configuration below - courtesy of Scotrail - is similar to what we anticipate we will launch with.

b) Over the last 3 months, our reworked business plan - now based around the 153 units - has been circulated amongst all relevant stakeholders, with constructive and robust feedback for GO-OP to act on.  Meetings over the next 2 months will now determine just how this project will advance.

c) The long search for premises may now be over.  A large site near Chippenham has been inspected and the GO-OP board will be making a decision about this later this week.

So, will GO-OP commence operations this year as planned?  That is still the intention, but everything hangs on a successful track access application.  I will update this group when more news is available.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2022, 09:02:12 »

I’m already looking forward to the 2023 update.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2022, 10:02:17 »

So they've moved on from using Pacers to Dogboxes. Progress I guess.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2022, 11:30:10 »

Just checked their website - this says-

Rollingstock

A key part of GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter)’s mission is to reduce environmental impacts travel and adopt sustainable modes of transport. A big leap forward for GO-OP in this area is the recent completion of an innovate UK (United Kingdom) funded feasibility study proving that a nine-tonne battery can be added to readily available 319 train sets to operate efficiently on non-electrified mainline routes – a solution known as a 769 IPEMU (Independely Powered Electic Multiple Unit (train running on batteries)). GO-OP hopes to pave the way for the electrification of routes where overhead line power delivery is either incomplete or absent and impractical to install. It requires not only advanced battery technology on the train itself, but also lineside batteries to support rapid recharging. Further work is now underway to begin preparing units. This electrification of stations may also allow for an expansion of electric car club services, and interchange on to electric buses, in the future.

This is an ambitious project in itself, and will take at least the rest of 2021 to deliver. Therefore, in the first instance GO-OP plan to use Class 156s', diesel multiple-units, for a transitional service.

Have they abandoned the class 769 pipedream?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2022, 14:23:00 »

Just checked their website - this says-

Rollingstock

A key part of GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter)’s mission is to reduce environmental impacts travel and adopt sustainable modes of transport. A big leap forward for GO-OP in this area is the recent completion of an innovate UK (United Kingdom) funded feasibility study proving that a nine-tonne battery can be added to readily available 319 train sets to operate efficiently on non-electrified mainline routes – a solution known as a 769 IPEMU (Independely Powered Electic Multiple Unit (train running on batteries)). GO-OP hopes to pave the way for the electrification of routes where overhead line power delivery is either incomplete or absent and impractical to install. It requires not only advanced battery technology on the train itself, but also lineside batteries to support rapid recharging. Further work is now underway to begin preparing units. This electrification of stations may also allow for an expansion of electric car club services, and interchange on to electric buses, in the future.

This is an ambitious project in itself, and will take at least the rest of 2021 to deliver. Therefore, in the first instance GO-OP plan to use Class 156s', diesel multiple-units, for a transitional service.

Note the bold I have added to the quote above and then see...

repurposed Class 153 units.  The configuration below - courtesy of Scotrail - is similar to what we anticipate we will launch with.
Has somebody looked at the ScotRail photograph and confused 153s with 156s? The configuration of the ScotRail class 153s has a large part of the vehicle dedicated to bicycle storage (so very few seats are provided) and, if I understand correctly, toilets which are not wheelchair-friendly. A fleet made up entirely of ScotRail-specification class 153s would therefore be unworkable for passenger services - you would probably have insufficient seating capacity and you would not meet PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) regulations unless you locked the toilets out of use and provided a toilet-less service.

(PRM = Persons of Reduced Mobility)

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2022, 14:51:23 »

“…everything hangs on a successful track access application.”

With a bit of luck ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) will turn down the whole idea of Go-Op. How long ago was the first announcement, and just how many random route options have been discussed ever since?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2022, 14:53:29 »

Anyone care to take a bet with me that this service probably won't ever be up and running in any meaningful manner and certainly won't be operating before the next Olympics?!

I guess you really meant here, back in 2012, the next Olympics to be held in the UK (United Kingdom)?

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2022, 11:00:30 »

From Facebook (And I have managed to loose the link in posting!) - web site at https://go-op.coop

Here's possibly the most important update so far. Following a mandatory industry-wide consultation, GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter) is currently in the process of formally applying to the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) for a track access contract. The consultation was largely positive, with all of the established rail operators affected objecting to the GO-OP business plan. But here's the thing, and this was something of a very nice surprise, the Department for Transport supported the GO-OP plan.

So what does this mean? Well, after taking advice from our consultants, it was decided to go ahead with the application. We will know in 2 months time if we have been successful, but fully expect that to be the outcome. The minute that happens, we're hiring!

Other news? It's the GO-OP AGM (Annual General Meeting) on Sept 7th. A letter should now be with all GO-OP members containing much more detail which I will post here once they have had a chance to read it

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2022, 11:41:30 »

Where are they planning on operating from and to this month?

Still no chance of it happening as far as I’m concerned!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2022, 17:18:39 »

Where are they planning on operating from and to this month?

Still no chance of it happening as far as I’m concerned!

Here you go.   I can't see it happening either.

https://go-op.coop/our-planned-services/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: