Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 16:00:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[229] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[104] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[94] Okehampton
[51] Our first Interrail tour
[36] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[33] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington - Penzance potential service cuts  (Read 12412 times)
Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2012, 15:25:31 »

Not looking good for cornwall intercity links. Dft possible 6 services specified a day in new franchise.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 15:29:18 »

If First retain the franchise I suspect they won't change much - they learnt their lesson in 2006!
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 22:38:49 »

I am confused now. On Spotlight this evening they have said about the cuts, but yet on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news site they say The department of transport have confirmed there will be no cuts.  Huh

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:17 »

I am confused now. On Spotlight this evening they have said about the cuts, but yet on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news site they say The department of transport have confirmed there will be no cuts.  Huh

Not quite, I'm afraid, Marky   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-18873898

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) spokesman simply promised "regular train services".

We'll know soon - I hope the fears turn out to be unfounded.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:53:28 »

The current Greater Western franchise Service Level Commitment specifies 7 weekday services between London Paddington<->Penzance. That's 6 daytime services in each direction and one that must leave Paddington between 2300-0030 and one that must start back from Penzance and leave Plymouth between 2330-0100.

See: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/rail-passenger-franchise-agreement-first-great-western/fgwcommitment1.pdf#page=30 para 3.11.

If the next franchise specifies the same service level commitment as these rumours seem to be suggesting then a reduction from what currently runs will not be the fault of the Department for Transport. FGW (First Great Western) currently provide more London-Penzance services than the minimum specified. It'll be up to the winning bidder to decide on the commercial case for providing more than the specified minimum.

It's a little surprising that interested parties in Cornwall are now bringing this matter to greater attention. The time to have made noises and representations was during the franchise consultation period.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:59:29 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 13:29:12 »

So the specification will continue as before then - as the consultation said that the base service would be guaranteed to be at least as good as it is now.  FGW (First Great Western) run the additional service for a reason I would have thought: it makes money!  I can't see that commercial decision changing with ever-growing passenger numbers.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 14:50:13 »

To be fair to FGW (First Great Western) they have gone over and beyond on most services they offer compared to what the dft specify
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 15:00:23 »

It is also fair to point out that some services have seen cuts since the above "Final" 2006 SLC (Service Level Commitment) was published and is still shown on the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) as "Final". As an example, Ascott-u-Wychwood (on the Cotswold Line) has had all of its Saturday services withdrawn but they are still shown on the DfT document. I wonder how many other adverse changes may have been made.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 13:09:42 »

Cornwall Council press release here

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=31898
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 13:33:44 »

As the franchise is for 15 years let us hope they have at least made the PNZ - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) nine trains a day.

Especially as traffic is increasing and the Government says it is encouraging rail transport.

It will not be long before we find out but I do find it strange that the Council has not realised all this during the consultation period.

I cannot believe the Council had not noticed the timetabled current nine a day was not the franchised minimum of six.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 14:29:06 »

The franchise consultation did state that the new minimum specified service level would be the current service level, not the current minimum, so there it was assumed there was no need to campaign against service cuts, just for improvements. That is quite important in Cornwall where currently there are a lot more services run than the minimum, on the branches as well as the mainline.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 15:48:12 »

The franchise consultation did state that the new minimum specified service level would be the current service level, not the current minimum, so there it was assumed there was no need to campaign against service cuts, just for improvements.

The Franchise Consultation document said this (and I stand somewhat corrected from my earlier post):

The current level of service will provide our starting point for deciding what goes into the new franchise. We will therefore expect bidders to base their proposals around the overall current level of service as set out in the most recent FGW (First Great Western) timetable, rather than the contracted minimum, and we welcome consultees^ views on this.

Are interested parties in Cornwall getting wind of a change of heart by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)? Or is it just rumour and hearsay flying around at the moment?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 18:01:42 »

I stand corrected on my comment too.  That's a small, but important, distinction!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:09:32 »

Are interested parties in Cornwall getting wind of a change of heart by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)? Or is it just rumour and hearsay flying around at the moment?

Probably, don't forget Murphy's law applies:

If DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) can get it wrong then they will.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:04:50 »

I have been ... holding back ... from posting in this thread as I know little about the metrics of passenger travel in Cornwall.  However, some points

a) The current service level OR the current specified service level were the only two sensible points from which the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) could have started the discussion in the consultation, and I think they got it doubly right by going for exisiting service level.   It's the point from which we have the most up-to-date data, and it's also the one that everyone can understand

b) On the TransWilts, we chose to respond looking at all scenarios; unusually, the current service level and pattern is distrinctly odd, and everyone agrees "could do better".  And "all scenarios" includes both up and down; I suspect that is / was a prudent move. At worst, we have wasted a bit of our time looking at "what-if"s that don't happen.

c) There are some places / areas where we already know that the status quo cannot realistically hold beyond electricifcation as it was (or indeed now is) announced. For example, it would be a surprise to find an hourly Bedwyn to Paddington through service running under the wires all the way from Newbury to Paddington. The solutions could be any one of (i) local shuttle (ii) reduced service (iii) electrify to Bedwyn or (iv) move to B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) outer stopper service, all stations Taunton or Exeter to Newbury then RDG(resolve) and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).

d) There are some services which are more operationally convenenient than provided for significant passenger flows, and including those in the spec would tie down the next operator unnecessarily. I would argue against a specification that's drawn up in a way that it forces (or strongly creates an environment for) a less than optimum service as far as passenger are concerned.

e) We're looking at 15 years, with a doubling to trebling of passengers in that time. Will a single service level really work?  For sure, on many lines we'll be looking at extra capacity more from the lengthening of trains than by increased frequencyr. But on others the train service should change; more trains will encourgse more passengers due to better frequency and opportunities.

f) With the current fare system potentially undergoing change (consultation last month), and one of the desired effects being to level out the peaks somewat - a bit of a holy grail, I fear - there could be balance changes too on services; better use of stock and seats outside the peak, and a further reduction of the remaining commuter flows of trains where there's a whole series over a short period, then much more intermittent in other periods.

Footnote - Current through Penzance to Paddington services, Monday to Friday
From PNZ: 05:05, 05:41, 06:45, 07:41, 08:44, 10:00 (10:47, high summer) 14:00 16:00 17:39, 21:45
From PAD: 07:30, 10:06, 12:06, (13:06 not high summer), 14:06, 15:06, 16:06, 17:03, 18:03, (19:03 FO), 23:45
Most services run via the Berks and Hants line.  A few are via Bristol.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: