11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
Delayed
09:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 12:38:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Season Tickets  (Read 13076 times)
gpn01

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2007, 09:16:01 »

Has anybody found prices for Season Tickets online anywhere ?  I've checked the FGW (First Great Western) season ticket page but it doesn't have prices.  Would be really useful to know what the price will be from various stations, first & second class, etc. so that I can make an informed choice. Only other way otherwise is to queue up at a station (or phone the cal centre) and ask a series of questions...
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:26:53 »

Has anybody found prices for Season Tickets online anywhere ? 

The National Rail website has a season ticket calculator.

http://ojp1.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/sts
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:03:47 »

That's exactly what I needed....many thanks!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 21:16:13 »

It doesn't tell you if you're entitled to a discount though. I've got a quote for my annual today, which with a 16% discount is 9% cheaper than 3 years ago. This level of discount must be doing some damage to FGW (First Great Western)'s finances, but it's probably cheaper to make the discount than provide a reliable service.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 00:16:27 »

It doesn't tell you if you're entitled to a discount though. I've got a quote for my annual today, which with a 16% discount is 9% cheaper than 3 years ago. This level of discount must be doing some damage to FGW (First Great Western)'s finances, but it's probably cheaper to make the discount than provide a reliable service.

I also helps to know the friendly station staff

My season ran out last thursday (29th)

To get your discount (standard for me is 5% - often 10%)

you have to renew in a month

But due to being in Munich until wed and then Moscow from 13th to 21st I only need a 1 week before renewing again 2nd Jan

which is pretty galling when you buy 10/11 months of season tickets a year.

but if you ask nicely.....

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 22:53:54 »

Not sure that calculator includes all zones in London as well as the train bit.. either that or my season ticket has gone down by a lot (which I doubt!!)..
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 17:54:09 »

It doesn't show travelcard prices which is unfortunate..

If you want to give me the details for season ticket and I'll get the price for you tomorrow.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 17:56:08 »

I have an Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) programme that works out all tickets, with a few exceptions that don't work. ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) kindly leaked it onto their website!
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:13 »

Thankfully FGW actually publish their season ticket discounts on their website at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=265 (scroll down to the bottom of the page.)

Cheers,
Mike
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 20:08:32 »

It doesn't show travelcard prices which is unfortunate..

If you want to give me the details for season ticket and I'll get the price for you tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer Ollie, but I will have to buy a new annual ticket tomorrow regardless of the price.. I'm guessing about ^2800.... ouch!
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 06:53:58 »

Thankfully FGW actually publish their season ticket discounts on their website at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=265 (scroll down to the bottom of the page.)

Cheers,
Mike

Hi there. Are staff meant to know of these discounts at ticket offices. I notice that Devon Lines are at 5% yet I got nothing when renewing my monthly ticket last week.  Does it change that often?

Good to hear about this. Will definitely check online before renewing now!

What does Newton Abbot to Exeter count as? Devon Lines or HST (High Speed Train) lines?

Thanks!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 10:06:07 »

Welcome to the forum, devonian.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 17:28:53 »

Last years fares, a Newton Abbot - Exeter St Davids annual season ticket is ^1052
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 13:39:37 »

I don't commute by Train anymore but when I did, I generally had an Annual Season Ticket that was 40 times the Weekly Season price.
It also dawned on me one year as my Annual Season expired Mid May it would be a smart move to take my two weeks summer leave when the Season ticket expired and bought a new one dated to start 17 days after the old one expired. The next few years I did the same moving my leave 2 weeks each year.
It work out as saving just under 5% enough to buy the better half a weekend away.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 15:06:14 »

Just had a play on NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) web site with Season Tickets.

Couple of things 10months 13Days or more is the Same price for the full year.

There are some odd fares Like Castle Cary Season to London Padd is cheaper than Westbury to London Padd, unless you want a Westbury to Waterloo via Salisbury season, saves loads but much longer journey times. If I remember right seasons are valid at all stations on route, can't see why anybody would buy Westbury to Paddington Season
 Also appears Bristol TM(resolve) to Bath Plus a Bath to London Padd Season is cheaper than BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Padd, I surpose that means you would have to go via Bath (Most trains do) not sure if train would have to stop at Bath?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: