Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:58:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stevenage giant cycle lane creates pedestrian confusion  (Read 6981 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: October 09, 2012, 21:22:15 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The lane markings are forcing pedestrians to keep to the small walkways, resident Neil Brinkworth said

A new cycle lane that dominates a bridge in Hertfordshire is causing confusion for pedestrians who are staying on the narrow edges.

The bridge over Fairlands Way, Stevenage, was resurfaced by the county council's highways unit last month.

Resident Neil Brinkworth said he was "astonished" at the council's work, saying "it's crazy watching everybody blindly obeying the lanes".

The council said the new lines met "current codes and standards".

Mr Brinkworth, who crosses the bridge two to three times a week, said: "It's making everybody go down the edge of the bridge. As a nation we are good at following instructions, but it does make you think 'why have they done that?'

"It's rarely used by cyclists. Was it a health and safety issue? I can't recall any issue of anyone crashing on the bridge. It makes no sense at all."

Hertfordshire County Council said: "The lines in place on the Fairlands Way path have been installed in accordance with the scheme design and to current codes and standards. The lines are not intended to form pedestrian lanes, nor pedestrian exclusion zones. They are guidance for cyclists. Pedestrians are free to walk wherever they like. The signing provided at the bridge indicates this to bridge users."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:27 »

Another example of my contention that we have collectively stopped thinking.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:12 »

I don't really see the issue really, pedestrians always use the cycle lane anyway  Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 13:46:39 »

Here's the footpath on the road that leads from our town centre to the school - alongside the busy A365

We too have been told "in accordance with the scheme design and to current codes and standards. The lines are not intended to form pedestrian lanes, nor pedestrian exclusion zones. They are guidance for cyclists. Pedestrians are free to walk wherever they like."  (I've quoted the Hertfordshire words, but I think the Wiltshire words were the same.   They probably read the same highway engineer's book of stock answers to public questions!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 15:43:12 »

I use a cycleway under the railway in Swindon everyday.  One side is marked for cyclists and the other for pedestrians - but almost everyday there is a pedestrian meandering down the cycle side and more often than not oblivious to the world because they have a personal stereo on.  It wouldn't be so bad if they walked in a straight line but they don't!!  It is particularly annoying if it is by the ramp which goes up from the cycleway to where I need to get to as you have to slow right down and then loose the momentum to get up the incline!   Angry
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 22:15:55 »

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions state in Schedule 5 that Sign 1057 is for a 'Cycle Lane or Route'.  The defining use of the cycleway is in Schedule 5 where two alternative signs indicate if it is a shared pedestrian/cycleway (Sign 956) or a dedicated cycleway (Sign 957).  So what type of blue sign is provided on the approaches?

You can find the regulations here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 22:22:23 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:54 »

Yes, near the Melksham footpath / cycleway anyway there are indeed signs showing a bicycle on top of a parent and child holding hands, as shown in http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/schedule/5/made on what's labelled as page 148 but has numbering starting at 144, so it should be obvious to anyone who uses the lane (say the highways people) that it's to be shared by both pedestrians and cyclists.

My personal view is that, whilst some may be aware of the significance of the family group being below the cycle rather that to one side of it with a line between them (that means separate lanes, of course!), others may not be and I think that the conclusion reached by the highways people may be wrong.  And - in the case of our Melksham lane - if even one person steps out of the way of a cycle in what they think of as being a bus lane, and under a passing lorry, that's one potentially fatal misreading too many.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:06:18 »

I agree with you entirely.  My personal view is that we have gone H&S (Health and Safety) mad and provide far too much road (and rail) signage.  And that is not counting the fact that most of it is confusing anyway.

By the way.  The cycle symbol in the Stevenage photograph looks as though it is not compliant with the regs (unless its just the angle).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 13:33:36 »

There are some very confusing cycle lanes on the A4 through and to the West of Slough. By the Estate and Salt Hill Park there are three lanes which seem to be a two way cycle track and a pedestrian lane. All three are quite narrow. But at least the cycle lanes are next to the road.

In both the Stevenage and Melksham cases I would take it mean cyclist had right of way in their lane. and pedestrians are pushed to the edge.

Perhaps our highway engineers should go to Amsterdam where the cycle lanes are clearly marked often have adifferent surface and woe betide you if you stray intm them whilst walking.

I think our problem is that we are trying for dual use when cyclist and pedestrains don't really mix. Shouldn't cyclists be on the road?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 13:55:59 »

I think our problem is that we are trying for dual use when cyclist and pedestrains don't really mix. Shouldn't cyclists be on the road?
But cyclists cause far less damage to pedestrians than cars/lorries cause to cyclists.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 14:22:31 »

In both the Stevenage and Melksham cases I would take it mean cyclist had right of way in their lane. and pedestrians are pushed to the edge.

That's how I took it initially - from a letter to my local council:

We teach our children to follow / obey signs, and it is unfortunate to say the least (an accident waiting to happen?) that we're directing them if walking  down a narrow band on the right (into the bushes!) or onto an 18" wide kerb between cycles and articulated trucks.

But I was wrong.  Wiltshire's Principle Highway Engineer wrote to me (or rather to a colleague who copied me (?) accidentally):

From reading Mr Ellis^ email I think he is perhaps a little confused about what the markings actually mean and how this area is supposed to work. Firstly the path is not segregated and remains shared use, although I accept the cycle symbols on its own perhaps give the impression that it^s for cyclists only.

The area to the right of the dashed white line is not a narrow walkway; it merely delineates the edge of the shared use path and works in conjunction with the buff coloured areas to highlight the adjoining private driveways. The markings here are an attempt to encourage both cyclists and pedestrians away from the adjacent vehicle accesses.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 19:05:02 »

Here's the cycleway in Swindon I referred to earlier - complete with partially obliterated sign.  At least they have cut the vegetation back, it was a blind bend coming round that corner on the left of the shot before.

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 21:24:20 »

There are some very confusing cycle lanes on the A4 through and to the West of Slough. By the Estate and Salt Hill Park there are three lanes which seem to be a two way cycle track and a pedestrian lane. All three are quite narrow. But at least the cycle lanes are next to the road.

The cycle lanes in Slough are terrible - especially the ones on the pavements, and especially the ones where the cycle lanes are next to the road! When I was riding home from work once, there was a chap on the pavement, riding along the cycle path, minding his own business. I was on the road (I refuse to ride on the pavement, even if they are called "cycle lanes") as I was approaching I could see what was going to happen - just as he rode past the group of kids on the pavement, they were also minding their own business jostling around with each other (perfectly safely, not near the road), when bang! One of them moved across just as the cyclist arrived and pushed him straight into the A4 rush hour traffic. Luckily for him, with me being in the road and pre-empting what was going to happen, I had already slowed down and moved out from the gutter slightly, forcing the traffic to slow down behind me. 

Yes, unless its a dedicated (read no pedestrians) lane. The problem is all the bloody lazy councils that found it easier to paint on pavements to get their cycle lane grants, than to create dedicated lanes.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: