Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:57:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstGroup win InterCity West Coast Franchise  (Read 106828 times)
dking

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:57 »

Let's hope that this doesn't mean that the plague of tombstone seats will spread to the WCML (West Coast Main Line). These have succeeded in draining away 90% of the pleasure of travelling by train except where you are lucky to get a table seat.
We travelled extensively by train this summer (down to Sicily and back) and I have to say that the most unpleasant segment of the whole trip was the PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) bit.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:40 »

Despite all the media guesses last week, I doubt there is much between the two proposed levels of premium. 
Stagecoach have been quoted here and have mentioned what Virgin group were offering:

http://www.digitallook.com/news/20297083/West_Coast_rail_franchise.html

Nominal premium payments to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) of ^8.6 billion over the core franchise period from 9 December 2012 to 31 March 2026, rising to ^11.0 billion when the potential extension period to 12 December 2027 is included;

A net present value of premium payments of ^4.8 billion for the core franchise period and ^5.8 billion including the potential extension period;

DfT have quoted ^5.5 billion for First Group - presumably that will be an NPV figure as well (if there are any financial 'jargon busters' out there at all)?

Paul

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 16:43:23 »

remember Virgin have been running West Coast on a 2% management fee since 2002 which I think has allowed costs rise unacceptably.

A very good point. 

I expect FG will do OK, but this is a very long franchise of the kind designed to incentivise long term large scale investment and upgrades.  So why haven't we seen any of this in the FG announcement?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 16:46:32 »

I expect FG will do OK, but this is a very long franchise of the kind designed to incentivise long term large scale investment and upgrades.  So why haven't we seen any of this in the FG announcement?
Ticket barriers at 21 stations?  In my opinion, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) seem to think passengers think of these to be as much of an investment as new rolling stock.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 16:54:36 »

I personally welcome this decision and think First will do a good job - remember Virgin have been running West Coast on a 2% management fee since 2002 which I think has allowed costs rise unacceptably.

That's well out of date info - they were only on the management contract between July 2002 and the end of 2006:

VRG announced on 13 December 2006 that it had agreed formal terms for a restated contract with
the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) for the franchise. The franchise deal will run until March 2012,
replacing the Management Agreement (Letter Agreement 2002) which had been in place since July
2002 following the collapse of Railtrack plc.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/assets/pdf/media-room/fact-sheet.pdf

autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 18:07:15 »

Whoops, apologies - my sources are obviously incorrect. I still think First will do a good job with West Coast - before today the share price has been rising steadily since the leaks began, showing someone with money must think it's a good thing.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 18:51:41 »

New electric trains to displace Voyagers under wires seems very sensible and should have been done whoever won.  Any indication yet what they will be? Presumably the Voyagers be transfered to North Wales, Shrewsbury and other routes off the wires? Also interested to see "Improving connectivity with more stops at Nuneaton and Milton Keynes", loss of which was a major criticism of the current service, but I thought that was driven by capacity and the need to speed up longer distance services, so how will this be achieved?

The new electric units are more than likely to be 6 carriage pendolinos (Known as baby pendolino's) which has been designed to be coupled to a diesel locomotive a lot quicker than currently and can work push pull with the locomotive
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 19:44:06 »

But I don't think diesel haulage of electric units will be needed. The new baby Pendolinos will free up quite a few Voyagers from the Brum - Scotland workings, allowing them to do runs to runs on non-electrified lines (of which there will be fewer by the end of the franchise).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 19:48:07 »

Extract from FirstGroup's press release:

^Improved journey time of 15 minutes for trains between London and Glasgow

Quite some improvement. Requiring a speed of around 1600mph.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 19:53:39 »

Extract from FirstGroup's press release:

^Improved journey time of 15 minutes for trains between London and Glasgow

Quite some improvement. Requiring a speed of around 1600mph.  Tongue Wink Grin

But thats an Average speed of 1600mph, so what rolling stock can reach 2000mph?  Cool
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 20:30:43 »

All the speculation about drastic cuts in catering seem to have been pure fiction.  Other companies have drastically cut catering but FGW (First Great Western) seems to have done better than most.  Was it all just sour grapes from Virgin trying o whip up sympathy?

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 21:13:39 »

Nothing much about catering.

Is the shop being axed? it says something like "at seat catering for all customers"...
They could do a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), put luggage racks there and then rip them out in the saloons.
No mention of restaurants or travelling chefs (probs because they are not viable/profitable).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 21:35:32 »

Nothing much about catering.

Is the shop being axed? it says something like "at seat catering for all customers"...
They could do a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), put luggage racks there and then rip them out in the saloons.
No mention of restaurants or travelling chefs (probs because they are not viable/profitable).

First group statement says:

* Enhanced catering service offered with increased at seat catering for customers

Taking out restaurant cars does not sound to me like enhanced catering.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 21:47:05 »

Arriva said almost exactly the same following their winning the Cross Country franchise.

The introduction of at seat catering there led to the loss of the shop.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 22:06:39 »

Enhanced catering in First could mean a slightly greater choice but not complimentary and perhaps less staff.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: