27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 01:06:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Equivalent forums for South West Trains  (Read 5853 times)
johngreg

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:05:36 »

Are there decent forums dedicated to south west trains as this one is to great western?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 13:23:25 »

Try http://shrug.info/

The only one I know of.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 13:25:34 »

You beat me to it Btline but I'm not sure if it's decent.

If you want unlimited vitriol directed at SWT (South West Trains) then it's just the one. However, I find their rants totally OTT (Open Train Times website) and can't be bothered to read more than a couple of lines. Which is a pity because they do seem to record most cancelled services , late running, short workings and runing non stop through booked stops etc. in their area.

It's from where some of us get AXED and DUMPED into our posts.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 13:47:11 »

Some time ago, I was considering starting a similar forum for Southern & SWT (South West Trains) services (not affiliated with SHRUG in any way).  However, I didn't feel that I would be able to drum up enough demand.

After all, a forum is nothing without active members.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 13:59:25 »

There's a yahoo group for SWT (South West Trains), it will require log in, it isn't too busy at the moment but perks up now and again when there's something new announced.  Might be worth a try:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southwesttrains/ 

I follow that one and also UK (United Kingdom) Modern EMU (Electric Multiple Unit), which is good for relevant rolling stock news both in the 'Southern' and elsewhere.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKmodernEMU/

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 16:32:37 »

Some time ago, I was considering starting a similar forum for Southern & SWT (South West Trains) services (not affiliated with SHRUG in any way).  However, I didn't feel that I would be able to drum up enough demand.

After all, a forum is nothing without active members.

Are there decent forums dedicated to south west trains as this one is to great western?

The quick answer to "do you know of a similar forum to this which is active, for South West trains" is "no, I don't". But let me try and be a bit more constuctive.

This forum was set up in a set of circumstances specific to First Great Western - see here.  Other forums were set up too at the time, not only in relation to FGW (First Great Western) but also to specific lines of othere Train Operating Companies.  Few of the forums took off quickly - indeed if you look at our stats here, you'll see that there were days that we too only had a handful of posts throughout 2007.  However, we've obviously done something right as since then we've been averaging around 40 posts a day.   Behind the scenes, it's notable how our reader figures have increased, but our posting rate is largely level, and I think that's because so many questions have been answered and our moderators have done a good job in keeping the answers categorised that we've become a reference resource, and recommended reading too, for some.

We are still working through the issues that arose when the forum was being set up (no short term solution here), and they still generate interest too.  I was out buying dogfood at lunch time, and the lady in the store mentioned seeing me on the box the other week and wanted to talk trains, with issues such as the impossibility of finding a train from our local station at the time she wants to travel, and finding tickets she can afford.  Taking her husband and her two children (too old for child reductions) to London for a day out, the web site quotes here 584.00, Melksham to Paddington, for 8 hours in the capital.  From Chippenham, they can travel after the peak and pay just 93.00 ...

We're not alone in having bizarre ticket pricing and some very strange services that give rise to the question "but WHY?" in this town (though we may have more here in this town than any other town served by FGW), and the forum runs on and is active. But - I don't know - is it the same elsewhere / under other franchises?   I suspect that at times it is.

You'll find that there's already a tacit welcome to South Wales posts (Arriva Trains) in the South Wales board, and I would be happy - subject to moderator's team approval - to add a board covering neighbouring and overlapping franchises - SWT, Chiltern, Cross Country and Arriva Trains Wales - if there's the interest.  The URL will be a bit odd, mind you ...

Let me stop there.  It's the start of a discussion.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 20:05:06 »

Interesting thoughts, but I have a feeling that maybe this is the lull before the storm, which might mean that this forum becomes very lively. Consider what's in stall in current FGW (First Great Western) land in next few years.

The new Franchise, what sort of service will we be getting from the winner, will bignosemac win his bet on National express? Then there's, not necessarily in chronological order, Reading to finish off, plus greater electrification, resignalling, introduction of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), possible East West, Chiltern in Oxford and the dreaded Crossrail.

That lot will keep whoever wins the new franchise on their toes and they will need chiving when they make mistakes and possible praise if get things right.

As the Chinese say may you live in interesting times.

Therefore, I don't think we should dilute our coverage too much.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 22:55:02 »

You'll find that there's already a tacit welcome to South Wales posts (Arriva Trains) in the South Wales board, and I would be happy - subject to moderator's team approval - to add a board covering neighbouring and overlapping franchises - SWT (South West Trains), Chiltern, Cross Country and Arriva Trains Wales - if there's the interest.

That would all be fine with me - while I may not have the local knowledge necessary to enable me to actually post anything particularly earth-shattering, I'd be very happy to administer any such board!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:48 »

There's been quite a bit of ongoing discussion behind the scenes here, and I'm delighted to announce that we've added boards for South West Trains, Cross Country and Chiltern ... just this morning.  And the South Wales local journeys board has been widened to clearly cover all Arriva Trains Wales services too.

The moderator team, and others, find that they learn a great deal from the systems and practise of other train operators wider that just FGW (First Great Western), and feel that having such information available here - passenger discussions from other operators - will really enhance the total picture presented, and we welcome any posts that relate to the added companies in line with the forum guidelines. There's no need at all for any FGW connection / link.   We've been very impressed by the detailed knowledge and information that's been going on in talking about services in West Wales, and we're delighted to provide a home for other discussions for other franchises that operate in our segment of the UK (United Kingdom).  At the same time, we're aware that some members are concerned at the dilution of content that's of interest to them by talk of lines, places and companies that hold no interest to them. By offering separate boards, we've done our best to allow these members to filter what they read - just because the material's here doesn't mean you have to read it.

Edit note: Topic heading amended, for improved clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:15:08 by chris from nailsea » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: