Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:04:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking Offence at Twyford Station  (Read 31560 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 20:13:59 »

Just beware, the law is changing in this area has changed. Anybody is now able to claim unpaid parking charges from the registered keeper of the vehicle, only councils can do this at the moment. The laws haven't been tested in the courts yet but any reasonable parking charges should probably be paid now. The letters threatening court action may now have some substance.

a reasonable charge in law can not be anything more than costs incurred by ticket issuer. It has to be the cost it physically cost the company to issue that ticket, plus the original ticket price.
e.g. parking pay and display ticket price, 10 mins of car park attendant hourly rate to issue the ticket (if that), and the cost of the ticket stock that it was issued on.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 20:24:22 »

I would be careful nowadays.  There was a case (from the Portsmouth County Court) which I stumbled upon whilst looking for something completely different where the PPC took someone to court and won.  They were also awarded costs.  Total awarded ^399.76 for a ^135.00 "parking fee".

Here is the judgement: http://www.combinedparkingsolutions.com/downloads/dorrington.PDF

Basically, completely the reverse of what consumer websites tell you will happen.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 20:35:16 »

Important to note in that judgement though that this was a case of someone not paying the fee to park, which is a clear breach of (implied) contract, rather than someone receiving a 'parking charge' notice for contravention of car park 'rules'.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 19:04:42 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 20:36:45 »

Point taken Southern Stag, but this thread was dealing with an alleged 'offence' that took place before the new laws were enacted on 1st October 2012. The new legislation is not retrospective.
Indeed, I was posting more as a general warning that ignoring these types of tickets may no longer be advisable. I too await the first case on this law, but it will probably be a while yet before one reaches court.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 20:38:44 »

a reasonable charge in law can not be anything more than costs incurred by ticket issuer. It has to be the cost it physically cost the company to issue that ticket, plus the original ticket price.
e.g. parking pay and display ticket price, 10 mins of car park attendant hourly rate to issue the ticket (if that), and the cost of the ticket stock that it was issued on.
I'm not aware of any cases which have tested what can and can't be claimed, but if you have genuinely breached the car parking rules and the company are not asking for a grossly disproportionate sum it may be best to pay up. Of course parking companies still might not wish to go to the expense of brining these matters to court, there is no guarantee they'll win and it could bring to light some of their practices.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:06 »

Of course parking companies still might not wish to go to the expense of brining these matters to court, there is no guarantee they'll win and it could bring to light some of their practices.

Exactly. I really don't think that Roxburghe/Graham White would want their allegedly suspect practices to go before the courts. If they're still making money just by issuing threats, why would they want to change?

If APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) started using proper debt agencies and solicitors, that would be the time to start seeking advice.
jacquio

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:53 »

Now have received a letter from Graham White with a facsimile signature.  Am going to ignore this as well!
jacquio

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 16:17:50 »

Yet again I have received a parking offence notice stating that I parked in a restricted area. Nothing to say that it was restricted. Paired my parking ticket for the day. Have now ignored two notices from Apocoa. What do you think I should do. Carry on ignoring them?
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 17:31:21 »

Have you seen the BBC1 programmes on parking? There were eseveral cases where people did not/could not see the restriction signs and they appealed and the adjudicator seemed to usually cancel the ticket. I am not sure what the arrangements are for APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) but I would be inclined to write APCOA pointing this out.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 17:45:52 »

Which part were you in? The bit at the front of the station is restricted to permit holders, as is the bit near the taxi office. There is signage that says a permit is required.

If you are using a normal daily ticket, then the only car park for use would be the biggest car park which you access by driving under the railway bridge.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 18:37:48 »

Have you seen the BBC1 programmes on parking? There were eseveral cases where people did not/could not see the restriction signs and they appealed and the adjudicator seemed to usually cancel the ticket. I am not sure what the arrangements are for APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) but I would be inclined to write APCOA pointing this out.

Remember that the rules are slightly different for parking on railway land as byelaw 14 can apply.
Have a wander over to http://forums.pepipoo.com/ and do a search for APCOA or Rail and read the 'advice'.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 23:21:02 »

Chances are, if APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) are asking for a payment for breaching terms and conditions laid out on signage, that this will be a speculative invoice which can be easily beaten by going through the Private Parking industry's appeals process. That first means appealing to the Private Parking Company who have issued the 'ticket'. Appeal on the basis that their charge doesn't represent a true estimate of the loss they have have incurred. Then, when they have inevitably turned down that appeal, they are obliged to point you toward an independent appeals service called Parking On Private Land Appeals (POPLA). There it is almost guaranteed you will win an appeal based on the charge not being a true estimate of the losses suffered by either the parking company or the landowner.

However, as SDS has said, railway station car parks can be covered by Railway Byelaw 14. APCOA rarely use this legislation as it is more beneficial to them to send out speculative invoices. From which they get 100% of the charge if the motorist pays up. If they use Byelaw 14 (which has to be with agreement from the principal (i.e the landholder)), then that is a matter for a magistrate to rule on. They might well win in court but are unlikely to get as much as they would from a speculative invoice.

Either way, don't ignore. If APCOA are not using Byelaw 14 then appeal the charge to them and then POPLA. You can do this with the help of http://forums.pepipoo.com/. If they are using Byelaw 14 then then they have to ensure they've dotted the I's and crossed the T's. Again though, seek advice from http://forums.pepipoo.com/.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:29 »

re "There is signage that says a permit is required." above.
What is a permit? At Hanborough our old small car park in front of the platform has several differenct sections. Pay and Display, Residents Parking (for the homes near the station where parking is restricted now since charges were introduced, 12 clearly marked Disabled spaces, and 7 or 8 spaces along side the platform each marked "Permit Holders Only". I have asked FGW (First Great Western) management what "Permit Holders Only" means and had no response. There are no signs to explain what this means to rail users. Most people do not use them as they are afaid that they might get a ticket even if they have purchased a Pay & Display ticket but some do. The arguement is that having purchased a Pay and Display ticket, that is a parking permit.
Can anyone explain this rule as FGW does not seem able to do so. The car park is also prominently signed on the main road outside as Disabled and Pick-up and Set-Down only. However there are no spaces in the car park designated for Set-down and Pick-up vehicles so such vehicles are parked in the turning area or in the very under-used disabled spaces. Altogether poor management that has just has not been thought through by those responsible for its implementation.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:14 »

I agree Andrew 1939 - same as the "authorised persons only beyond this point" signs.......what the h**l is that supposed to mean??!!  Huh Angry
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 16:36:24 »

Think it either says permit holder or season tickets, I will check when I go through later and get a pic of the signage for you. This is of course speculating as the original poster hasn't replied to confirm where they were parked.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: