I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:41:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay Line Services  (Read 39613 times)
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 17:19:38 »

Isn't Padd - Newquay the only FGW (First Great Western) service in the South West that is in direct competition with air? Surely the faster the better?
Yes, but Newquay-London is not the market that air is serving. The airport is actually some way out of Newquay with pretty poor public transport links. It acts as a hub airport for Cornwall. Bodmin Parkway is probably the nearest comparison, acting as a hub for much of North Cornwall. The traffic using Newquay Airport would use a variety of Cornish stations. As the Penzance services are busier it makes sense for those to be the quickest. Truro is by far the busiest station in Cornwall as well.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 00:13:30 »

Isn't Padd - Newquay the only FGW (First Great Western) service in the South West that is in direct competition with air? Surely the faster the better?
Yes, but Newquay-London is not the market that air is serving. The airport is actually some way out of Newquay with pretty poor public transport links. It acts as a hub airport for Cornwall. Bodmin Parkway is probably the nearest comparison, acting as a hub for much of North Cornwall. The traffic using Newquay Airport would use a variety of Cornish stations. As the Penzance services are busier it makes sense for those to be the quickest. Truro is by far the busiest station in Cornwall as well.

Fair point, however I was thinking incoming passengers, given that 750,000 tourists visit Newquay annually, and that literally millions of people have fast, easy access to Gatwick from their homes. After all, what's a five mile Newquay Airport - Newquay town taxi trip going to cost when shared between 2-4 people?

Would be interested to know the percentage of visitors arriving by air (I have to admit I have no real idea) and if it's a market worth competing for.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:29:54 »

I agree with that, more people heading in to Newquay Airport will be visiting Newquay than people heading out of Newquay Airport having come from Newquay. A lot of the visitors to Newquay are groups of young people, Newquay isn't really a great family holiday resort any more, so price is likely to be the main factor when they decide what mode of transport to take, rather than speed. You do get lots of groups of young people using the train to Newquay, just quite often not on the direct Summer Saturday trains, which have got less and less busy over the years. If the price is competitive the market for passengers in to Newquay are probably less bothered about speed or having to change trains.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 18:49:01 »

Hi Southern Stag, any idea how the weekday direct services are faring?
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 19:40:51 »

I'd say the weekday service is busier but then there is only one service, whereas there are three to choose from on a weekend. You still get lots of people who change at Par for stations to Penzance, so I'm not convinced it's better sending the HST (High Speed Train) to Newquay rather than Penzance, which would be possible but perhaps slightly tight within the current timings.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 19:54:29 »

Once again Newquay has an event on this weekend and FGW (First Great Western) supply a Class 153 to work to Newquay!

Mind in someone had half a Brain in FGW land they could see fron Web based tickets Sales they would see a Surge in people heading to/from Newquay for today, Sunday and Monday**

But as normal FGW just don't CARE!

I guess the St Ives service was still 2 by class 150 today.

** The real tragedy is that it's likely that many of these Passengers are NEW to rail and get a dose of FGW's very best customer service, treated like ANIMALS, it took up to 2 hours to clear Par station by Road for those who couldn't get on the 14:07 Par-Newquay.
Bring on Stagecoach Great Western.  Grin
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 20:00:52 »

You think they'd run more carriages?! Must be dreaming...
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 20:19:23 »

Newquay has now been strengthened for tomorrow and a standby coach will be provided at Par. And I've never heard of Newquay Fish Festival before either.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 20:41:26 »

Maybe not but Stagecoach seem more Switched On than First:
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 21:54:49 »

Newquay has now been strengthened for tomorrow and a standby coach will be provided at Par. And I've never heard of Newquay Fish Festival before either.

Newquay is strengthened tomorrow (Saturday) due to the fish festival according to FGW (First Great Western), which should attract an additional 7 passengers??? The main problem is the hundreds of drunken louts arriving for the 'Bangface Festival' (google it), for drunks and druggies, so Sunday and Monday returning will also be mayhem if not strengthened....

Is St.Ives seriously still four cars???
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 22:13:59 by slippy » Logged
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 23:22:18 »

St Ives was four carriages on Wednesday. Everything on the mainline is nicely rammed back as just two carriages of course. 0600 Penzance-Cardiff was reported as a four car this morning though, I believe that's normally just two, so perhaps one of the St Ives 150s was being got rid of.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 09:27:46 »

Newquay is strengthened tomorrow (Saturday) due to the fish festival according to FGW (First Great Western), which should attract an additional 7 passengers??? The main problem is the hundreds of drunken louts arriving for the 'Bangface Festival' (google it), for drunks and druggies, so Sunday and Monday returning will also be mayhem if not strengthened....

Is St.Ives seriously still four cars???

Poor Newquay, I'm glad I'm not there. Hope it rains.

Now, please!
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 17:19:38 »

St Ives still four car today. FGW (First Great Western) now acknowledging the existence of Bangface festival, so hopefully will strengthen on Sunday and Monday as well.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 19:54:16 »

Thats the second event that they have managed to f**k up at Newquay this year, Boardmasters was a disaster with just a 2 car 150!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 19:57:46 »

Maybe not but Stagecoach seem more Switched On than First:
Really? I'm sure most of EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about)'s customers on the Liverpool-Norwich route would disagree, along with most of their services in the East around Lincoln which seem to be mostly formed of rammed single 153's, right slippy? ;-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: