Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:34:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay Line Services  (Read 39610 times)
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 20:28:05 »

St Ives still four car today. FGW (First Great Western) now acknowledging the existence of Bangface festival, so hopefully will strengthen on Sunday and Monday as well.

Was strengthened today and 2N02 Bristol to Newquay will be strengthened at Par tomorrow. Also standby buses at Newquay.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 21:28:49 »

St Ives still four car today. FGW (First Great Western) now acknowledging the existence of Bangface festival, so hopefully will strengthen on Sunday and Monday as well.

Was strengthened today and 2N02 Bristol to Newquay will be strengthened at Par tomorrow. Also standby buses at Newquay.

Bristol to Newquay?! That finished 2 weeks back!
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 17:32:28 »

1303 Newquay-Par reported as leaving full with 150 passengers, so must have been a two car. A 50 seater coach was also required though, so perhaps 3 carriages would have been better.
fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 11:34:14 »

1303 Newquay-Par reported as leaving full with 150 passengers, so must have been a two car. A 50 seater coach was also required though, so perhaps 3 carriages would have been better.

We're lucky we had a second carriage to couple to the first - where would you like to get the third one from?

The problem faced, and we face it every year is that engineering can only postpone certain heavy maintenance to provide additional units for the summer months for a certain length of time.

After that, units would have to be stopped for heavy maintenance. If we didn't then we would have too many stopped at the same time (not being worked on as there are only so many staff) and customers (and coffee shop critizisers) would bemoan the lack of carriages on peak time trains into Bristol or around Exeter during Autumn and Winter.

Therefore Train Planning have to revert to a semi high summer/low summer timetable to gradually reduce the overall requirement of units expected each day. It then gives the distorted view of some branch lines with high summer unit provision whilst some revert to the low summer or winter provision.

This does then mean that Newquay struggled having reverted to a single 153, whilst St Ives still enjoyed 4-cars.
However, there were criticisms last year that St Ives dropped from four to two cars too soon and Train Plannning have this year kept the provision for longer.

Seems whatever does get done, and lessons from previous years HAVE been leartn there are just no pleasing some people!

Our Train Planning and Special Events teams knew nothing of either event at Newquay last weekend in order to be able to plan for it.

Can't spend all day at work trawling the internet to find out can we??!!

former FGW (First Great Western) Staff now working for the People's republic of ScotRail
Anything I post is my own personal view and not that of FGW, FirstGroup, ScotRail or Transport Scotland.
Anything official from these sources will be marked as such.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 11:45:19 »

I understand there are only finite resources - not only in terms of stock but also crew - and you certainly cannot plan for events you do not know about.

However, as mentioned earlier, is any notice taken of advance ticket sales as a guide to how busy a service may be.  I assume as local trains on the Newquay line are unreservable the system would allow Advance Purchase on the mainline services to Par even if the number sold meant the connecting branch service would be oversubscribed.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 12:03:23 »

We're lucky we had a second carriage to couple to the first - where would you like to get the third one from?
I understand that there are finite resources, and the difficulties in sharing them out, and I'd agree this year has been better. Four carriages on the 0935 Exeter-Penzance in the summer was a brilliant improvement, as that service is always very busy. The cut off from Summer to Winter does seem to be a bit arbitrary though, come the first week of September everything on the mainline goes back down to 2-carriages and suffers from overcrowding. I didn't know anything about the two events this weekend either, and it's good that FGW (First Great Western) strengthened the services once they knew about them.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:15 »

Seems whatever does get done, and lessons from previous years HAVE been leartn there are just no pleasing some people!

You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't!

Our Train Planning and Special Events teams knew nothing of either event at Newquay last weekend in order to be able to plan for it.

Agreed. Do event organisers have any point of contact to be able to tell FGW (First Great Western) of forthcoming events? If that can be done without raising the expectation of an enhanced service, yet still allowing for it if it seems feasible and necessary, then everyone would win.

I once went to a Bristol City game in Cardiff - one of the finals at the Millennium stadium. It was a Sunday morning, and I had never before seen so many trains in one place. That obviously had a high profile at FGW, and it would have been chaos without their services. It shows what can be done with co-operation, although how many of the thousands on board had tickets, I wouldn't like to say.

Now, please!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 17:46:48 »

In BR (British Rail(ways)) days there would be people on the ground locally who would be aware of special events and inform the powers to be.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 17:51:50 »

In BR (British Rail(ways)) days there was a less intensive service, a surfeit of rolling stock and more manpower.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 19:29:59 »

I once went to a Bristol City game in Cardiff - one of the finals at the Millennium stadium. It was a Sunday morning, and I had never before seen so many trains in one place. That obviously had a high profile at FGW (First Great Western), and it would have been chaos without their services. It shows what can be done with co-operation, although how many of the thousands on board had tickets, I wouldn't like to say.

Ditto, in 2006, whilst coming back from Fishguard Hbr. There were a pair of class 50's, top and tailed on a 5 or 6 coach train, operating a shuttle service from Cardiff (I believe).
fatcontroller

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 20:30:25 »

Agreed. Do event organisers have any point of contact to be able to tell FGW (First Great Western) of forthcoming events? If that can be done without raising the expectation of an enhanced service, yet still allowing for it if it seems feasible and necessary, then everyone would win.

I'm not aware of a point of contact for organisers to make FGW aware of the potential of larger than normal passenger flows.

I guess in the absence of one - Customer Services could always be informed and yesterday I was informed of a large group who had come to a ticket office to enquire about their journey options for 10 days time with a large group.

The member of staff had the fore thought to give Control the heads-up so arrangements (if possible) could be made.

former FGW (First Great Western) Staff now working for the People's republic of ScotRail
Anything I post is my own personal view and not that of FGW, FirstGroup, ScotRail or Transport Scotland.
Anything official from these sources will be marked as such.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2012, 21:02:02 »

I'm not aware of a point of contact for organisers to make FGW (First Great Western) aware of the potential of larger than normal passenger flows.

We had an area / station manager for many years who was an excellent contact on such things; the current one's pretty darned good too. However, some other members of the team in differing roles have proven to be more obstacles than assistance.   So I would advise organisers to start - in very good time - with their area manager.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2012, 16:32:39 »

Where is the FOCAL group, they want to improve the Newquay services , I would guess they are locally based so should have a finger on Newquays events!
Cornubian

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 20:13:14 »

With so many festivals being organised these days, surely local Councils have a responsibility to inform rail companies that a licence application for a festival has been granted at what times and locations. This would enable the planning for additional units (etc) to be made.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012, 20:32:56 »

But then that begs the questions:

Who pays?
And where does the rolling stock and staff come from?

Weekend events, particularly Sundays, are easier to cater for because there is spare stock, but staff, track access charges and the like still have to be paid for.

Gone are the days, sadly, where a local manager could just rustle up stock and staff.

Unfortunately, TOCs (Train Operating Company) take a lot of persuading before they'll consider additional services. And then only when someone else pays the costs involved.

That doesn't then stop them the crowing about what they are doing, advertising the additional trains, but conveniently forgetting to mention it isn't because of their own altruism. Nine times out of ten it is someone else footing the bill.

And if an event organiser or local authority can't or won't pay for additional trains then the scheduled services have to cope as best they can.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: