Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:26:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chance of getting a seat at Cheltenham?  (Read 9294 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:57 »

I'm going to be on the 09:12 from Cheltenham Spa, heading up to Birmingham on Monday.  What are my chances of getting (a) a seat, (b) space in the luggage rack for my case and (c) a cup of coffee.  Will an arrival at Cheltenham Spa at 09:05 give me enough time to connect?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:21 »

I'm going to be on the 09:12 from Cheltenham Spa, heading up to Birmingham on Monday.  What are my chances of getting (a) a seat, (b) space in the luggage rack for my case and (c) a cup of coffee.  Will an arrival at Cheltenham Spa at 09:05 give me enough time to connect?
I'll wave as you speed past Worcester - the worst served city in the UK (United Kingdom). Great idea for the new topics Grahame.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:44:09 »

a) If you are connecting from a train in the same direction (i.e. from Swindon or Gloucester) you are usually fine. There are only two platforms and they don't appear to be signalled bi-directionally, so you simply get off the train and wait for the next one.  Once you have reached the points onto the mainline out of Gloucester, the trains can only arrive and deprt in one order! In the unlikely event that you are coming from the North is only takes two minutes to go over the bridge.

b) As for seats I have usually found a seat on the 9:12 but don't expect to find two together. Can't speak for luggage as I am usually doing day trips.

c) Coffee can be a bit hit and miss.  There is usually a trolly, but it doesn't always come to you.  You may have to go and find it. But in these cases they usually announce where it is. 

If you do book a seat the problem is that the station staff never seem to know which way the train is going to be facing so there is a lot of running arround trying to find the right carriage.  I don't know if this is down to Cross Country not telling FGW (First Great Western) or FGW not passing the information to the station staff, but it is a pain.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:49:33 by ellendune » Logged
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 13:04:39 »

The 0912 ex CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) is booked a five car M-F, if it is then coach B will be fully unreserved, most passengers booked on the train will use their allocated seats so there should be plenty of luggage space in B for walk up passengers.

Pretty sure the train is booked a change of catering crew at BHM so the trolley should ideally be at the first class end ready to do a last run through before handover.

The CIS (Customer Information System) displays are in the remit of FGW (First Great Western), changes to train formations are emailed out throughout the day. When I was based in Bournemouth I generally found that the screens at SWT (South West Trains), Chiltern and VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) stations were correct but calls at RDG(resolve) and OXF» (Oxford - next trains) were hit and miss whether they'd been updated.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 15:46:30 »

The CIS (Customer Information System) displays are in the remit of FGW (First Great Western), changes to train formations are emailed out throughout the day. When I was based in Bournemouth I generally found that the screens at SWT (South West Trains), Chiltern and VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) stations were correct but calls at RDG(resolve) and OXF» (Oxford - next trains) were hit and miss whether they'd been updated.

Generally FGW don't display the formation of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services, just show 'First Class is in Coach A'.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 16:45:52 »

Generally FGW don't display the formation of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services, just show 'First Class is in Coach A'.

Well I wish they would.  It would be in their interest as it would help reduce dwell times at Cheltenham which can be quite tight at times. 
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 16:53:31 »

Well I wish they would.  It would be in their interest as it would help reduce dwell times at Cheltenham which can be quite tight at times. 

I can imagine this is only a problem in the southbound direction then? I know that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) can arrive at Cheltenham up to 2 minutes before booked arrival if on time going North, so that should allow 4 minutes for boarding/alighting!

Not sure why FGW (First Great Western) don't put the formation information up, i'd imagine because it can change at short notice and this can result in incorrect information being displayed, be much better if XC could provide the location of First Class to FGW in the first place, because otherwise this will continue to be a problem at Cheltenham, being the first station FGW manage going south and can notice the incorrect information.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 18:23:31 »

It isn't rocket science to indicate which way round a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (or any other train) is running. The train follows a pre arranged route and once it has left the depot it is unlikely to change!

However on Thursday I travelled by XC Class 221 from York to Doncaster with the platform CIS (Customer Information System) staying "First Class towards the rear". As the train ran into the platform there was the yellow bar on the front connector - First Class at front! The train left Edinburgh ONLY two and a haf hours earlier, so why couldn't the correct information be posted?
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 18:35:00 »

It isn't rocket science to indicate which way round a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (or any other train) is running. The train follows a pre arranged route and once it has left the depot it is unlikely to change!

However on Thursday I travelled by XC Class 221 from York to Doncaster with the platform CIS (Customer Information System) staying "First Class towards the rear". As the train ran into the platform there was the yellow bar on the front connector - First Class at front! The train left Edinburgh ONLY two and a haf hours earlier, so why couldn't the correct information be posted?

A common occurrence with XC sadly. Communication breakdown somewhere along the line I would immagine
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 19:15:13 »

I can imagine this is only a problem in the southbound direction then? I know that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) can arrive at Cheltenham up to 2 minutes before booked arrival if on time going North, so that should allow 4 minutes for boarding/alighting!

Only if the train is on time.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 19:20:25 »

Only if the train is on time.

But it can still spend that 4 minutes there, and loose no further time from that station stop!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 20:54:45 »

Graham, text a seat reservation! Wink
(see XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s website for details)
Then even if the train's packed with commuters, you can turf someone out of a seat by flashing your iPhone... Undecided
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:44 »

Many thanks for the inputs thus far ... I suspect I will grab reservations (even at this stage) for the leg from Cheltenham; I know we won't need them (and can't get them) on the train we're connecting off.   A thought - perhaps Xc trains end up the wrong way round if they get switched to the other route from Birmingham to King's Norton; you can leave New Street in either direction, after all ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:13:05 »

Yes it's a gamble. Neither staff nor the PISs (Passenger Information System) know which way round the train is. XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) no longer give you the option of selecting by direction when reserving. Also check a seating plan to make sure you're not in a seat with no view.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 12:09:37 »

Many thanks for the inputs thus far ... I suspect I will grab reservations (even at this stage) for the leg from Cheltenham; I know we won't need them (and can't get them) on the train we're connecting off.   A thought - perhaps Xc trains end up the wrong way round if they get switched to the other route from Birmingham to King's Norton; you can leave New Street in either direction, after all ...

Any changes in formation after start of service (such as diversions via Camp Hill) are individually emailed out to the relevant TOC (Train Operating Company) control, catering supply centres and train managers along the booked route. Some TOCs are very bad at updating screens for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services (East Coast and FGW (First Great Western) are probably the worst offenders) and some TOCs are very good. For example as soon as a Voyager hits (not literally) an SWT (South West Trains) station, so either at Basingstoke heading south or Bournemouth / Southampton heading north then the dispatch staff will inform their CIS (Customer Information System) office of any discrepancies such as the train being reversed or removing coach B from the formation of a four car.

For every XC Voyager or HST (High Speed Train) service the formation is also provided on the driver and train manager's paperwork and XC control advised of any discrepancies that way.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: