17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
10:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
11:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:30:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: "The InterCity 125: The Age of the Train" BBC Four 9pm 13/09/2012  (Read 29427 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 05:38:48 »

Now where is my copy of "2 miles a minute"by O S Nick?!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 09:02:37 »

An interesting fact? I was told aout the HST (High Speed Train) was that HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate) (or predessesor) wouldn't allow EP brakes on the trailer cars just straight airbrakes, which wouldn't have been enough to stop from from 125 from existing signals. So the powercars were EP braked and thus each power car only have to brake 3/4 coaches so the brakes were much quicker acting than waitng for straight airbrakes to act on the down the train and to the rear power car.

Despite all the problems and the brake smell they are still one of the best trains of the post steam era. Pity as peolpe have posted they've become 737s, and they now don't get to Cardiff in under 2 hours The TOCs (Train Operating Company) tha use them would be really stuck without them.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:43 »

Despite all the problems and the brake smell they are still one of the best trains of the post steam era. Pity as peolpe have posted they've become 737s, and they now don't get to Cardiff in under 2 hours The TOCs (Train Operating Company) tha use them would be really stuck without them.

I used to travel down from Banbury to Weston S Mare on a Friday in the late 70's which involved a change at Reading. I do remember having the option of catching a diesel hauled loco which would have got me there 20 minutes earlier but I did enjy the HST (High Speed Train) journey - the the loco service seemed so slow in comparison!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:23 »

MK3s never had perfect window alignment. Originally all seats where at tables but the number of windows was designed for perfect alignment in First Class, but Standard Class had one more table per carriage than First Class, so alignment was always out. Stock before MK3s used to have more, smaller windows in Standard Class carriages to solve that problem.

There are eight windows per side in a BR (British Rail(ways)) Mk3 TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)). All seats in an original Mk3 Second Class TSO were not at tables. The original seating layout in Second Class had 72 seats. That was 8 airline seats either side of the centre partition and 16 bays of 4. Later BR layouts, carried over into privatisation, increased the (now) Standard Class seating to 76 seats. People were travelling less often as a group so the layout was changed to 10 bays of 4 and 36 airline seats.

Second Class TSO stock before Mk3 also didn't have more smaller windows. Like the Mk3 there were eight windows per side in a Mk2F Second Class TSO but the coach was 3 metres shorter. 16 bays of 4 with smaller vestibules. Earlier non air-conditioned Second Class Mk2s (Mark 2 coach) also had eight windows per side, some with a centre door.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:07:00 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:26 »

I do remember having the option of catching a diesel hauled loco which would have got me there 20 minutes earlier but I did enjy the HST (High Speed Train) journey - the the loco service seemed so slow in comparison!
Deliberately so, and to compare a 90 / 100 mph loco with 10 or 12 Mk2 (Mark 2 coach)'s with a 125 with 7 would not be fair

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 19:16:53 »

I was an "HSDT (Original name for High Speed Train)" apprentice when I started in 1975 and destined for OOC (Old Oak Common (depot))'s brand new shed, did a couple of training blocks in there but ended up on ODM at Padd (thats whole different story  Roll Eyes  )

One of the tasks they gave us apprentices to do was go along all the coaches in a rake and measure the commutators on all the vent fan motors and record the results, most where definitely not round  Grin   The other problems were the batteries over charging.

The cracking axle boxes if I recall was part of the casting which supported the springs, also there were cracks in the brake disks on the power cars

Oh and the much loved tables kept falling apart, the screws fell out partly due the passengers pulling on the tables as they climbed in the seats around the arm rests

Oh and lets not forget the turbo chargers that kept failing and the amount of coolant and oil leaks on the engines

Basically the train by the standard it is today was a disaster but it was made to work

At one time a sample of every engine's lubricating oil was taken every night at OOC, and sent for analysis to BR (British Rail(ways))'s Scientific Services laboratory at Muswell Hill (North London, think of The Kinks). They could tell if there was a probem with the turbo, cylinder liners, piston rings etc.  Quite often they'd phone Control as soon as they'd done an analysis and order a Power car to be shut down before the turbo fell to bits etc.

As an aside, the truly best carriages ever built were Mark 2F's, which were designed after the Mark 3's, and had better air-con.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 19:53:33 »

As an aside, the truly best carriages ever built were Mark 2F's, which were designed after the Mark 3's, and had better air-con.

But bleddy noisy when braking though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 10:15:34 »

Tend to agree with you Gordon, although Mark 3 firsts were very good.

And they are still in use on the Wellington Commuter Services. I saw them in use in  February. Hillside workshops have done a superb job on them gauge conversion and power doors and a fantanstic inside refurb.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 21:16:53 by chris from nailsea » Logged
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 19:11:52 »

An interesting fact? I was told aout the HST (High Speed Train) was that HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate) (or predessesor) wouldn't allow EP brakes on the trailer cars just straight airbrakes, which wouldn't have been enough to stop from from 125 from existing signals. So the powercars were EP braked and thus each power car only have to brake 3/4 coaches so the brakes were much quicker acting than waitng for straight airbrakes to act on the down the train and to the rear power car.

The powercars are not EP braked. They use conventional air brakes the same as the trailer cars do.

The difference is that the brake handle in the cab does not directly control the air in the brake pipe as on say a class 57/6. The brake handle on a HST sends signals (by de-energising train wires) to the E70 / DWIA3 brake pipe pressure control unit at both ends of the train, thus lowering the brake pipe pressure and applying the brake in steps. Pressure can be reduced in the air train pipe from both ends but can only be increased by the brake pipe pressure control unit in the power car from which the train is being driven.

The Emergency position on the HST brake handle however vents the air brake pipe directly to atmosphere as does the emergency brake plunger next to the brake handle. This is provided to guard against electrical malfunctions or the failure of the brake handle itself.

Trundling gently round the SW
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 19:40:40 »

They've lost something with the change from Paxman Valenta engines,  Yes we know they smoked and were noisy and not all that reliable but feel the noise...   Smiley

Fortunately for the saddos, searching "Valenta" on YouTube will find you plenty of deafening starts and full chats through Didcot.

A Saddo
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 19:44:22 »

Many thanks for posting BNM. Now if only Aunty BEEB would release the new Android version of iPlayer that allows for off-line watching so that I could watch the program on the ....errrr...train!

I'm nights tonight but I have already set the HDD recorder up to record the program.

Thanks to the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) for the heads up.

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 19:51:06 »

I was working in the CM&EE at Paddington when the HST (High Speed Train)'s were introduced in 1976. My particular job was to do with the trailer cars.  We had a whole host of initial problems including cracked axle boxes (at one time I think all axle boxes were being crack detected every night at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and other depots), toilet door locks which jammed locked and toilet blow-backs when entering tunnels (so going to the toilet on an early HST could be quite an experience), brush wear on the ventilation motors which caused the air-conditioning to fail, WSP malfunctions, etc etc. 

The 'fix' for the toilet blow backs was to permanently lower the permissable speed through Alderton Tunnel from 125 mph to 110 mph in both directions. The speed through Chipping Sodbury tunnel being 120 mph instead of 125 mph. The problems were caused mainly when trains passed each other in the Tunnels, particularly the short Alderton tunnel.

Box & Middle Hill tunnels being built to Broad Gauge internal dimensions have greater internal volume and cause less of a problem.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 21:32:00 »

Wasn't it the case that in the early days HSTs (High Speed Train) were not allowed through Box at maximum speed in case two passed and blew the windows in?  I was told that by a railwayman at the time but not sure if it was myth.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 22:12:02 »

Wasn't it the case that in the early days HSTs (High Speed Train) were not allowed through Box at maximum speed in case two passed and blew the windows in?  I was told that by a railwayman at the time but not sure if it was myth.
Myth, it may have been concerns with the doors not locking shut properly

There were problems with the toilets as The SprinterMeister has already mentioned also some problems with the ventilation system, these were fixed quite early on

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 22:16:01 »

A good and interesting program but more about the era of British Rail that the 125 came into being rather than actually about the train itself but that would probably only really interest a small minority of us.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: