16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 08:11:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast Main Line franchise shambles - possible impact on Great Western franchise?  (Read 58695 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2013, 21:36:47 »

Sellafield / Windscale is "oop nawth" even by my standards. I have been there long ago, as well as Whitehaven and Cockermouth, and can say little to commend Sellafield as a beauty spot. It is, however, the biggest employer in West Cumbria, with over 10,000 people. There is a lot of nothing around the area, and the train mentioned was run by DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd), to gauge opinion. It proved very popular with enthusiasts, because of the rolling stock used. I think it finished in February last year, and I have no idea if it was eventually deemed a success. It seemed to me a bit like the Severn Beach line experient in 2007(?), in that it filled an inconvenient gap. Unfortunately, there was trouble with the line later in the year, with bad weather causing a landslip.

bignosemac, you are some kind of genius!

This statement is of course true - we are currently working out what kind!  Grin

Alright, own up. Who said warped?

Now, please!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2013, 22:14:40 »

Alright, but at least I didn't think 'evil'.   Grin

Good question about the loco / coach set.  I think it's still going, but there is a northern rail nut site I haven't visited for some time (too much rail buff stuff IYKWIM).  I'll follow it up.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2013, 20:29:56 »

Oh come on chaps. That's a bit harsh on BNM ..why don't we just settle for 'flawed' Huh? Grin
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2013, 20:35:45 »

My investigations suggested it finished in a whimper, sad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2013, 08:30:36 »

An interesting take on two pieces of news.

So Virgin want better punctuality - so Network Rail refuse them more trains because that would impact on punctuality. From Network Rail's point of view the words "want cake and eat it" come to mind.

Rail passengers suffer from playground politics

Remember when you were a kid? The politics of the playground?

"If I can't be Kenny Dalglish then I'm taking my ball home."

I may have given away a bit too much about my age there.

Isn't it nice when you grow up and leave those silly playground politics behind? What's that line about putting away childish things?

Well, it seems not everybody does. In fact it seems childish things might actually play a part in big business - and impact on all our lives.

This week we discover that Network Rail has rejected a bid by Virgin Trains to bring a direct rail link in between Shrewsbury and London. You know, the thing that businesses in the county have been crying out for.

First, let's remind ourselves why we don't have a direct link.

We did have one. In the form of the form of Wrexham & Shropshire. To stretch the playground metaphor to breaking point, they were the weird new kid. They did things differently. They got no money from the Government (I've stopped the metaphor now) but the big train companies did. Like every weird new kid (started it again) it was bullied and soon disappeared.

After much farce, one of the popular kids - Virgin (the metaphor has stopped again!) - said it would run a direct link. And everything seemed hunky dory.

Then, just last week, Virgin issued a statement DEMANDING that Network Rail, which owns and operates the county's railways, made millions of pounds worth of "customer-focussed improvements" to "compensate customers for poor punctuality".

It said it was preparing "enforcement action" to bring about punctuality improvements, following "sustained poor performance by Network Rail".

And then, coincidently (!) Network Rail announces Virgin can't have its direct line to London.

"I'm taking my ball home."

That's not their actual statement. That said they had acknowledged that performance on the West Coast line was not good enough but adding more services would mean a "trade off with punctuality" with a "significant negative impact on performance for the thousands of other passenger and freight services that rely on this route every day^.

So basically telling Virgin that if they want their current services to run on time, they can't have any more.

And who suffers from this apparent spat?

Yep, the customers that both sides claim to be trying to protect. Once again businesses and tourists are denied because men in grey suits can't get their act together.

The condemnation of the decision has been swift. But that is little comfort to passengers who are once again feeling the strain of the train.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2013, 16:29:33 »

How does the level of service provided now compare with when Wrexham and Shropshire ran their services, i.e. since W & S gave up, has the Virgin service improved punctuality wise?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2013, 17:08:46 »

There was barely any interaction between W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) and Virgin, only for very short distances in the Birmingham area. (They didn't even use the main line between Wolverhampton and Birmingham but went via Tame Bridge Parkway.) So I wouldn't have expected any impact of W&S to register on the published Virgin figures, any movement in which will have been from other factors.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: