Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:34:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Face of Reading, Henley and Twyford - Norman Topsom MBE  (Read 82987 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2012, 19:54:37 »

I think the bay at Twyford can take 4 cars, but I think services of this length require dispatching because of the curve in the platform - someone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me.

Yes, that's right.  Shouldn't be a problem that time of day though as I'm pretty sure Norman Topsam MBE is usually patrolling by then!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 20:17:21 »

Norman Topsom MBE  Wink

See http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/12272_i_nearly_binned_my_mbe_letter  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:18:16 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 21:47:25 »

From the Henley Standard:

A stationmaster who has worked on the railways for more than 50 years has been named the Face of Henley.

A portrait of Norman Topsom MBE has been hanging at the Old Fire Station Gallery for the past week alongside those of 137 other people from the area, some of them well-known names.

The exhibition was to mark the 10th anniversary of The Face of Henley charity, which raises money for people experiencing tragedy or hardship. Photographers Claire Smith and Janet Hanton aimed to capture the essence of each person^s personality, job or hobby. About 700 people visited the gallery during the week and 611 cast votes for their ^favourite face^.

Mr Topsom, of Gainsborough Hill, Henley, said: ^I am very surprised ^ I do not think anyone thinks that they will be voted for, especially when people such as the Mayor are pictured. It was a lovely exhibition and a very nice and original project that went across all social boundaries. All sorts of people were involved.^

The 66-year-old, who will have worked for British Rail for 52 years next month, says the best part of his job at Twyford station is meeting people. He also has a long association with St Mary^s Church, where he has been an altar server and bell-ringer for 40 years and keeper of the church tower clock for 35 years. He is also a director of Henley YMCA. Mr Topsom was awarded an MBE in 2005 for services to the community.

He said: ^This is a lovely town. You walk round and meet so many people you know and now I have learnt about more of them through the 100 Faces of Henley.^

Mrs Smith said: ^Norman^s votes came from the most diverse range of visitors to the gallery, not just from people who know him and appreciate his incredible levels of customer service but also from strangers to Henley who were simply drawn to the character he exudes in his portrait. One person said of him, ^Norman Topsom makes my commute to London almost enjoyable. He truly understands customer service^. He is a very special man whose biography shows how much more he is than simply the charismatic local station manager.^

Mr Topsom will receive a copy of his portrait in a special designer frame worth more than ^200.

The 100 Faces of Henley commemorative book is available to buy at the Bell Bookshop and online at www.faceofhenley.org.uk

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 14:24:23 »

Thouroughly deserved - a lovely gentleman of the railway who always makes time for everyone.

Whenever I go to watch steam trains pass through Twyford he always updates us on progress and makes enthusiasts welcome. I wonder how many people starting on the railway today will last 50 years in the job - very few I imagine.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 16:00:02 »

Norman is a great guy. Always got time for him when I pass through Twyford Smiley
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:49:42 »

Twyford station's Norman Topsom will be retiring in September.  He is part of the furniture!

http://www.twyford-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Twyford/Twyford-station-master-to-hang-up-whistle-08072015.htm
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:24 »

Twyford station's Norman Topsom will be retiring in September.  He is part of the furniture!

http://www.twyford-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Twyford/Twyford-station-master-to-hang-up-whistle-08072015.htm

Good luck to him, may his whistle never go rusty!

I doubt "Taplow Ted" another living legend, can be too far behind unfortunately!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 12:26:23 »

My very best wishes for his retirement. I suspect he will take with him a lot of experience and appreciation from his regular customers.
froggycat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 14:28:27 »

I used to commute from Twyford to Reading everyday a few years ago and seeing Norman always made my day.
I now commute from Reading to Maidenhead and a few months ago saw Norman surrounded by first aiders on platform 1. I felt horrified that something had obviously happened to him.
I shall miss seeing him and seeing someone who takes such pride in the station. It is always immaculate and a joy to go through.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:17 »

I love his announcements of "Reading General" and "Cholsey and Moulsford". Hope he has along and happy retirement.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 23:12:20 »

I spoke to Norman the other day and he is now staying on until the end of October (previously a date in early September had been mooted).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 23:15:22 »

He just can't let go!  True railwayman in the best sense.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 18:36:27 »

I don't often watch the local ITV news for the West Country, but I notice tonight their local weather is sponsored by GWR (Great Western Railway) and features Norman - who says he is out in all weathers!
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:44:07 »

Norman's last day today.

We've had Thomas The Tank Engine and Gordon The Green Engine.  GWR (Great Western Railway) are naming a re-liveried Class 166 after him, so keep an eye out for Norman The Green Turbo!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:01:08 by Visoflex » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 13:51:34 »

Snippet from todays Get Reading breaking news blog.

A retirement party will be held at Twyford Station between 3pm and 7.30pm today to celebrate the career of popular train conductor Norman Topsom. Mr Topsom has worked at Twyford Station since leaving school in 1962. He was awarded an MBE in 2013 for his work on the railways and in the local community
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: