17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
10:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
Short Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
08:50 Penzance to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 10:53:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Customer Service frustration  (Read 46786 times)
adc82140

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:05 »

The CIS (Customer Information System) screens at Farnborough North have been broken for two days. Not a major problem but I thought I'd call Customer Services to report it. I just can't get them to understand that I want them to forward a message to the relevant department to have a look at it (or perhaps them tell me that it's  already in hand). All that CS want to do is give me timetable information. Who do I need to contact to report this fault?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:28:21 »

The number given on various signs for reporting comments on the facilities at stations is 0800 912 0843 - worth a try?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:00:36 »

A tweet to @FGW may also help get the ball rolling, or a post to FGW's Facebook page.

That said, I had a response from the correct department some 6 weeks ago (following email correspondence) regarding the vandalised and broken CIS (Customer Information System) at my local station and it's still not been repaired.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 18:43:41 »

Done via Facebook. Jo has responded. Let's see how long it takes.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 14:03:49 »

A tweet to @FGW may also help get the ball rolling, or a post to FGW's Facebook page.

That said, I had a response from the correct department some 6 weeks ago (following email correspondence) regarding the vandalised and broken CIS (Customer Information System) at my local station and it's still not been repaired.....

At my local station (Thatcham) the old style CIS was out of action for several months. According to FGW staff there was a cable fault and associated dispute between FGW and Railtrack as to who was responsible for repairing the fault.

I dont know if the new system works on different technologies and if so if this problem is likely occur in the future..I was on a station once where one of the new CIS displays was booting and it appears to be DHCP/IP based given some of the info coming up on the displays.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 14:59:13 »

I reported a dodgey PA (Public Address) speaker at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) on Thursday via Twitter. Which the official tweeter said had been forwarded to the correct department. Seems a reasonably effective way of reporting issues to be honest.

Incidentially I tweeted @greateranglia a couple of weeks back because there was no milk or clean mugs in the Liverpool Street First Class Lounge (If you can call it that Cheesy Wink ) and I was tweeted back almost within a few minutes (Similarly speedy response time as my above tweet to @FGW (First Great Western) Wink ) saying that they'd contacted the station staff and in no less than 5 minutes a nice lady appeared bearing some clean mugs and a bowl to take away the dirty ones and she also refilled the milk tray Grin I then had a coffee Grin

Although I'm slightly biased in terms of the FGW tweeter for my PA Speaker fault. I couldn't possibly comment that they may be a member of this forum Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 17:07:27 »

Although I'm slightly biased in terms of the FGW (First Great Western) tweeter for my PA (Public Address) Speaker fault. I couldn't possibly comment that they may be a member of this forum Grin

Hmm.  I've had to warn him before, more than once, about being very helpful ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 19:34:51 »

Quoting myself here by way of update. The Help Point/Customer Information Screen at Shirehampton has still not been repaired or replaced. It's now three months since I brought this to the attention of FGW (First Great Western) and I have followed up numerous times by reporting it to the Customer Information office at Temple Meads. Also mentioned it a couple of times on FGWs Facebook page.

Not a dicky bird as to why FGW have deemed it unnecessary of replacement. Poor show.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 19:45:09 »

I have only tried to used these help points under non emergency situations for which I question their value.

For example, earlier this week the train services on the kennet line were thrown into further chaos by late running engineering works and the CIS (Customer Information System) as normal in this situation wad dishing out automated announcements that were useless (this has been discussed on this forum before)

A call via the help point served no useful purpose whatsoever - but I am guessing the person at the other end of the line really didn't know what was going on either.

I have had no reason to use these call points in an emergency but in ths case they probably do have a value and I agree with you bnm that it should have been repaired by now.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 20:46:08 »

Not a dicky bird as to why FGW (First Great Western) have deemed it unnecessary of replacement. Poor show.
Passenger Focus?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:16:23 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 21:24:09 »

Quoting myself here by way of update. The Help Point/Customer Information Screen at Shirehampton has still not been repaired or replaced. It's now three months since I brought this to the attention of FGW (First Great Western) and I have followed up numerous times by reporting it to the Customer Information office at Temple Meads. Also mentioned it a couple of times on FGWs Facebook page.

Not a dicky bird as to why FGW have deemed it unnecessary of replacement. Poor show.

A poor show indeed.  Angry

The help point at Shirehampton has now been vandalised twice, the more recent attack being the more serious. The cost of replacement would fall to First Great Western and is unlikely with the current uncertainty surrounding franchise renewals.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 21:57:21 »

I would like to think that TOCs (Train Operating Company) have a responsibility to maintain the assets right up to the last day of the franchise, and wouldn't use that as an excuse not to repair or replace a damaged Help Point.

I appreciate this is obviously a case of vandalism, but to not acknowledge or update me after numerous contacts is a bit off.

Now if that long promised for CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) had been installed, perhaps the miscreants responsible for the damage may have thought twice about doing it, or at least it may have provided some evidence to identify them.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 23:41:10 »

Justin have sent an email to our customer information manager. So once I get a response I will let you know what the situation is.

Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 22:52:42 »

Thanks Ollie, appreciate your efforts as always.

But I shouldn't really have needed to go 'public' with this issue to hurry along a response.

And that response? Ollie tells me that it will be another couple of months before the Help Point/CIS (Customer Information System) at Shirehampton is replaced. It is on order apparently but no explanation as to why it should take 5 months to do that.  Huh Roll Eyes Angry

Would it take 5 months to replace a broken/damaged CIS at say, Paddington?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 23:32:57 »

Would it take 5 months to replace a broken/damaged CIS (Customer Information System) at say, Paddington?

Poor example, that's NRs» (Network Rail - home page) responsibility not GW (Great Western). Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:16:17 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: