Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:41:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: XC Voyager is derailed at Inverkeilor in Scotland - 4 November 2012  (Read 19995 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012, 18:56:38 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-20197419

A train has derailed on the line between Arbroath and Montrose.

The 08:04 CrossCountry service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen came off the tracks at about 09:45 at Inverkeilor in Angus.

There were 36 passengers on board. No-one was injured but the driver hit his head when the train derailed.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 20:43:26 »

... but the driver hit his head when the train derailed.

That does conjure up a rather amusing image - and I'm glad nobody was hurt in the incident.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 22:55:53 »

Track atlas shows two trailing points at Inverkeilor for an Aberdeen bound train. A crossover and siding.

As trains tend not to derail on trailing points or plain track it becomes a very interesting incident.

Await details with interest.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 23:09:37 »

With thanks to Super Guard for the original post, I'm merely adding further details here, for the record - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rail line closed after derailment at Inverkeilor in Angus

The front wheels of the train came off the track near the village of Inverkeilor in Angus

A train has derailed on the line between Arbroath and Montrose.

The 08:04 CrossCountry service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen came off the tracks at about 09:45 at Inverkeilor in Angus.

There were 36 passengers on board. No-one was injured but the driver hit his head when the train derailed.

British Transport Police described the incident as "a minor derailment". Services between Dundee and Aberdeen were suspended.

A spokesman for Cross Country said: "The front wheels of the train became derailed but the train remained upright. A full investigation will be undertaken to determine the cause of the incident."

Scotrail said it would provide replacement buses on its services to and from Aberdeen. A spokesman said people should allow extra time for their journey.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 16:53:11 »

Not the best of photos on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), the front end of the leading vehicle was fouling the up line quite badly, the train was handed back from the police around dinner time last night, but No14 points were still being treated as a scene of crime until lunchtime today I believe. From what I hear the initial cause of derailment was a foreign object placed between the points blade and the running rail on the XO (Crossover. Pair of points that connects two parallel rail lines. Crossovers can be either facing or trailing dependent on direction of travel). Train travelled around 1/4 mile on an 80mph section of track. Train has now been moved to Montrose and track inspections are taking place.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 17:27:23 »

From what I hear the initial cause of derailment was a foreign object placed between the points blade and the running rail on the XO (Crossover. Pair of points that connects two parallel rail lines. Crossovers can be either facing or trailing dependent on direction of travel).

XO?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 17:28:17 »

XO (Crossover. Pair of points that connects two parallel rail lines. Crossovers can be either facing or trailing dependent on direction of travel)? But bignosenac has beaten me to it!

Number 14 points crossover or siding?

Nasty non the less.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 16:39:27 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Angus train derailment 'may have been deliberate'

British Transport Police have said they have uncovered evidence that a train that came off the track near Inverkeilor in Angus may have been deliberately derailed.

Officers searching the scene of the incident have discovered an obstruction, which they believe was placed there deliberately.

The 08.04 CrossCountry Trains service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen came off the tracks at about 10.00 on Sunday.

An investigation has now been launched.

Det Insp Kevin McCormack, of British Transport Police, said: "Fortunately, no-one was seriously injured during the incident and we now believe that the object found at the scene of the derailment must have been put there intentionally by someone. I am therefore anxious to speak with anyone who saw anyone acting suspiciously in the area of Inverkeilor between Saturday night and Sunday morning."

None of the 36 passengers on-board the train at the time of the incident was injured, however, the driver, a 49-year-old man, suffered a minor head knock and was treated by paramedics.

British Transport Police said they are working with their counterparts from Tayside Police and the rail industry to investigate the incident and are carrying out additional high-profile patrols in the area.

An incident vehicle has remained at the scene of the incident, so members of the public can contact officers with any information relevant to the investigation.

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 21:19:49 »

From what I hear the initial cause of derailment was a foreign object placed between the points blade and the running rail on the XO (Crossover. Pair of points that connects two parallel rail lines. Crossovers can be either facing or trailing dependent on direction of travel).

XO?

Sorry, maybe one for the acronyms page, XO = crossover.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 22:07:30 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

No-one was injured but the driver hit his head when the train derailed.

Presumably saying "D'oh!"? I'm glad that was the only injury.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 22:17:02 »

Sorry, maybe one for the acronyms page, XO (Crossover. Pair of points that connects two parallel rail lines. Crossovers can be either facing or trailing dependent on direction of travel) = crossover.

Done!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 17:49:03 »

Found on railforum uk was this link to more photos: http://tayrail.smugmug.com/Railways-TaysideandFife/Inverkeilor-Derailment-Sun-4th/26329954_T3z9jD#!i=2194107777&k=4zcwPDP
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 18:07:15 »

From the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch):

Train derailment - Inverkeilor, Scotland

On 4 November 2012 at approximately 10:00 hrs, the front bogie of the leading vehicle of the 08:04 hrs CrossCountry Trains service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen derailed in the vicinity of Inverkeilor in Scotland.

RAIB deployed inspectors to site to carry out a preliminary examination of the circumstances.

Having evaluated the evidence from site, the RAIB has concluded that it will not be leading the investigation into the cause of the derailment. Since an obstruction found at the scene is believed to have been placed there deliberately, the RAIB has agreed that the British Transport Police should conduct the ongoing investigation. As is normal in such cases, the evidence obtained by the RAIB during its site activities is to be shared with the BTP (British Transport Police).

Further details can be found at the British Transport Police media centre.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 21:16:28 »

From the British Transport Police press release:

Train derailed at Inverkeilor - rail industry offers ^25,000 reward for information

The rail industry is offering a reward ^25,000 for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of those believed to be responsible for causing the derailment of a train at Inverkeilor.

The reward is being offered by the operator of the railway infrastructure, Network Rail, and train operators CrossCountry Trains, ScotRail and East Coast, as the British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) investigation continues - underlining how seriously the incident is being taken by the industry.

Detective Inspector Kevin McCormack of BTP is reiterating his appeal for anyone with information to get in touch. He said: ^It is hoped that by offering such a substantial reward someone will come forward with information that can help identify those believed to be responsible for such an irresponsible act.^

David Simpson, Network Rail route managing director for Scotland said: ^This incident could have caused a very serious accident on the railway and put lives at risk. We are determined to do everything we can to support the police in their investigation and would encourage anyone with information about this stupid and reckless crime to get in touch immediately.^

Andy Cooper, CrossCountry^s managing director, added: ^We are shocked that someone may have intentionally set out to injure our customers and staff and utterly condemn this criminal act. We urge anyone with information about this incident to contact BTP immediately.^

A team of British Transport Police (BTP) officers continues to work closely with colleagues in Tayside Police. An incident vehicle remains at the scene in Angus and additional high-profile patrols in the area continue.

Around 10.00am on Sunday, 4 November 2012 the front carriage of the 08.04 CrossCountry Trains service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen came off the tracks but remained upright. None of the 36 passengers or two members of staff on-board the train at the time of the incident was seriously injured.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 00:00:32 »

Beggars belief.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: