16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 18:43:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Signage - not making it easy ...
[22] IETs at Melksham
[19] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[18] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[17] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 179251 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2018, 00:36:46 »

You may not have noticed that there were no trains on the District line into Richmond tonight, unless you happened to be there. Mortlake Road was closed all evening too, and this is why.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2018, 00:49:32 »

Might need a cherry picker to inspect the bridge deck.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2018, 14:10:37 »

Oh dear...

https://twitter.com/angleseycouncil/status/1050668694907453440?s=20

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 20:01:47 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2018, 19:32:42 »

Reading the twitter thread, I suppose it was inevitable that someone would attempt to prove some sort of racist point by claiming that the Polish driver didn't speak any English... however, the driver may have found it confusing that the bridge clearance sign (a mandatory red circle) gave the height in US Customary units only. Isn't it rather shocking that in 2018 we still have signs in shillings and pebbles?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2018, 20:16:20 »

Never mind English - what's the Polish for "Ildiwch i gerbydau s'yn dod atoch"? As Red Squirrel says, though, having the height sign in fahrenheit groats might not have helped.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2018, 20:23:15 »

Reading the twitter thread, I suppose it was inevitable that someone would attempt to prove some sort of racist point by claiming that the Polish driver didn't speak any English... however, the driver may have found it confusing that the bridge clearance sign (a mandatory red circle) gave the height in US Customary units only. Isn't it rather shocking that in 2018 we still have signs in shillings and pebbles?

That certainly doesn't help, but you'd expect anyone sending a vehicle to Britain to provide the necessary conversion for the vehicle height. But that probably would not have made any difference - the vehicle was heading south towards the A55, and made it under the bridge. It was the load, presumably picked up locally, the was overheight. So who loaded it and measured its height? A wrong height entered into a Satnav that was itself working fine looks a more likely explanation.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2018, 20:26:51 »

Gamoń! As distinct from gammon. A right multilingual fowl up there, with Polish truck and driver, French sign (on lorry), Welsh and English. But could (perhaps) all have been alright with different digits.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2018, 20:31:07 »

I expect the poor Polish chap will ultimately have to carry the can, although the insurance claim will be a lawyer's delight. It was hardly a glancing blow.

Now, please!
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2018, 21:37:00 »

Isn't it rather shocking that in 2018 we still have signs in shillings and pebbles?

I don't think it is shocking at all - more like common sense, as "shillings and pebbles" are much more sensible units.  Wink Both the meter and the kilogramme are too big for many purposes. Many years ago there was an attempt to get the aviation industry to use the meter as the unit of aircraft altitude - this was roundly rejected by the aviation industry as being too coarse. The metrication zealots went away saying that would be back with a suitable metric unit - we are still waiting for that one !!
I spent some time in Paris when my aunt lived there and can clearly remember the "livre" (pound/half a kilo) being widely used for foodstuff.
There was an item on the Today programme only last week about how widely used feet, inches and stones, lbs and oz still are - even by people who have only been taught the metric system during their school time.
Indeed, I have in front of me as I type, a birth announcement card from my No2 daughter announcing the arrival of a 7lb 10oz girl !
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2018, 21:57:41 »

I am quite happy for people to buy their shopping in pounds and ounces, but to only have key information like bridge heights in feet and inches looks like stupidity. Not only are foreign drivers unfamiliar with such units, but so our many of our own young generations.

Also don't ask me to do any engineering design in such antiquated units.  However I am quite happy to read a metric drawing and pass the information to the person doing the work in ft and inches if they wish. Did it so much in my early career that I can do common sizes from memory.

The worst case I have come across recently was an American textbook that used a mixture of litres, cubic feet per second, gallons (US) per hour on the same page. How they make anything that works is a miracle! The few high profile mistake must be the tip of the iceberg!       

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2018, 22:23:42 »

Altitude in aviation is specified in the ICAO documents to be in metres, but these also recognise this isn't the current de facto situation and hence allows feet until an agreed changeover date can be agreed. This has never been set, and don't expect it to be any time soon if ever, mainly because of safety concerns the transition might cause. China and North Korea do presently use metres, Russia did until a few years ago, and for that matter so did continental Europe prior to the Second World War.

There is a similar difference in specification of wind speeds, specified as meters per second rather than knots, and atmospheric pressure in hectopascals rather than mmHg. Nearly all countries have transitioned on the latter though.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2018, 00:05:56 »

Both the meter and the kilogramme are too big for many purposes.

Makes you wonder how the vast majority of people on the planet cope, doesn't it

I don't normally make a big thing of spellings - with two dyslexic children, it doesn't do - but I feel the need to point out that here in Europe we have metres, not meters.  Grin

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2018, 08:58:03 »

As an inch is defined as 25.4 millimetres exactly, the length of the foot is defined by size of the metre - which used to be that object kept in Paris!

So it's a kind of metric measure Cheesy
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2018, 09:14:06 »

Both the meter and the kilogramme are too big for many purposes.

Makes you wonder how the vast majority of people on the planet cope, doesn't it

I don't normally make a big thing of spellings - with two dyslexic children, it doesn't do - but I feel the need to point out that here in Europe we have metres, not meters.  Grin

Electricity meters, Gas meters, come off it, Water metres too, I got all three to look at.  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue 
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2018, 11:32:05 »

Here in Great Britain we have the freedom to spell it either way............. Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: