Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:49:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 177584 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2019, 10:24:14 »

We have those on the approach to the Cow Lane bridges in Reading, doesn't do any good!

Also didn't help for a few weeks a couple of years ago when one of the sensors near to Tesco had been knocked down but was still functioning, meaning every vehicle that went passed triggered the sign
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:12 »

I've never managed to find any clear rules mandating where signs must be present, just the manual that prescribes what they are look like. So the size and content (with alternatives) of the sign and chord marker on the arch are set out, but with these words:
Mandatory signs are not used at arch bridges, as the main risk to these comes from vehicles which, although low enough to pass through the central part of the arch, might strike the curved shoulder of the structure.
Those "mandatory signs" must be the ones with just the headroom in a triangle.

What the manual says "should" be provided is enough advance signage, including routes avoiding, to fit with that principle that the markings on the bridge are not there to keep totally overheight vehicles from hitting it.
I think "mandatory signs" refers to the ones in a red circle which mandate the prohibition – the red triangle signs are merely a warning.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2019, 15:50:47 »

I've never managed to find any clear rules mandating where signs must be present, just the manual that prescribes what they are look like. So the size and content (with alternatives) of the sign and chord marker on the arch are set out, but with these words:
Mandatory signs are not used at arch bridges, as the main risk to these comes from vehicles which, although low enough to pass through the central part of the arch, might strike the curved shoulder of the structure.
Those "mandatory signs" must be the ones with just the headroom in a triangle.

What the manual says "should" be provided is enough advance signage, including routes avoiding, to fit with that principle that the markings on the bridge are not there to keep totally overheight vehicles from hitting it.

I think "mandatory signs" refers to the ones in a red circle which mandate the prohibition – the red triangle signs are merely a warning.

You're right - I was thinking about the other meaning of "mandatory", as that was the subject of that post.

In fact there's a load of stuff about the (round) advance mandatory signs and how they should not be put where a vehicle might need to pass for access to somewhere not via the bridge, since the prohibition has legal force. That's one of the reasons for using the blue information signs, where the embedded mandatory sign provides advance warning that there is a maximum height but isn't a mandatory height limit itself.

While I can see the point of the bit I quoted above, about signage at the bridge guiding vehicles as a priority, I fail to see why the advance sign containing the maximum height for passage under the top of the arch isn't mandatory.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2019, 23:19:16 »

Presumably the advance sign has to reflect the signage at the actual point. To be, in effect, a "repeater" of the sign not of the obstacle.

Some arch bridges have three height limit signs – one for the central portion of the arch and one for each side. I guess it has to be a reasonably wide arch for there to be point in that, but it seems to me that perhaps the current way of signing arch bridges is not entirely satisfactory. It's the shoulders that are the main problem, I think, because high vehicles tend to also be wide.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2019, 23:32:21 »

Presumably the advance sign has to reflect the signage at the actual point. To be, in effect, a "repeater" of the sign not of the obstacle.

Some arch bridges have three height limit signs – one for the central portion of the arch and one for each side. I guess it has to be a reasonably wide arch for there to be point in that, but it seems to me that perhaps the current way of signing arch bridges is not entirely satisfactory. It's the shoulders that are the main problem, I think, because high vehicles tend to also be wide.

I think you need to read the manual to judge - there is more to it. For one thing, the central (or only) chord is at least 3 m wide.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2019, 05:14:21 »

He came past a 12ft triangle height sign. only in imperial.

Well did she, thought? I can see the 12 shilling sign at the bridge - prominently displayed behind the branch of a tree - but I couldn't see any others when I googled up and down the lane...

The sign is at the start of the lane, in the village next to the pub. It’s a couple of miles from the bridge, but the lane is continuous with no other roads joining. That’s where any advanced warning would be, it’s too late half way down a narrow lane.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2019, 08:30:06 »

Aha, that's what I was hoping for - thank you, LiskeardRich.

Can we all agree that it would be helpful if these signs had to also gave the height in metres? Which units are used on the in-cab signs other posters have mentioned?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2019, 09:12:31 »

He came past a 12ft triangle height sign. only in imperial.

Well did she, thought? I can see the 12 shilling sign at the bridge - prominently displayed behind the branch of a tree - but I couldn't see any others when I googled up and down the lane...

The sign is at the start of the lane, in the village next to the pub. It’s a couple of miles from the bridge, but the lane is continuous with no other roads joining. That’s where any advanced warning would be, it’s too late half way down a narrow lane.

I think it has to be said that the "warning" sign does not do its job particularly well. The sign appears to be placed in the middle of a "Y" junction - which leg of the "Y" does it refer to ? It is not a particularly large sign (to keep the locals happy ?), there appears to be both a shop and a pub close by. It would not take much in the way of distraction from other traffic or pedestrians for a passing driver to miss the sign completely.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2019, 12:13:51 »

Aha, that's what I was hoping for - thank you, LiskeardRich.

Can we all agree that it would be helpful if these signs had to also gave the height in metres? Which units are used on the in-cab signs other posters have mentioned?

Having driven both LGVs (Large Goods Vehicle) and buses, I believe the cab signs have been in both metric and imperial in everything I’ve driven. Although I can recall the feet and inches sizes of vehicles I drove 12 months ago I can’t remember the metric! The last vehicle I drove yesterday was 14’6 for example.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2019, 12:28:03 »

I'm struggling to find chapter and verse on this, but it looks like by law the in-cab height indicator has to be in feet and inches - though it's not illegal to use post-Victorian units as well if you wish to. Very bizarre. Do lorry drivers have to pay their road tax in guineas?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2019, 20:59:18 »

One solution is the height scanning beam approaching the bridge under the railway at Pontrilas on the A465 between Abergavenny and Hereford.    Overheight vehicles travelling towards Hereford get a big warning sign.

And despite of that, it still gets hit.  Just last week, I think.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2019, 21:56:07 »

One solution is the height scanning beam approaching the bridge under the railway at Pontrilas on the A465 between Abergavenny and Hereford.    Overheight vehicles travelling towards Hereford get a big warning sign.

And despite of that, it still gets hit.  Just last week, I think.

I wonder every day how many bridges suffer careless drivers?.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2019, 17:34:21 »

A lorry has hit Whitby Road bridge (this one: https://goo.gl/maps/7ENUhHcdV1k) this afternoon (11 Jan 2019). You can read all about it here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/heavy-traffic-building-lorry-gets-2420746

There are warning signs on the approaches to this bridge - though there is a lack of consistency; approaching from the east you'd see this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/CkX1FmunWez (you might want to bring your hedge trimmers). though as you get nearer you'll see this https://goo.gl/maps/SKndAqZwUBu; approaching from the west (as this lorry seems to have) you'd see this: https://goo.gl/maps/2JVZB9GVxkr

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2019, 19:17:33 »

Yet another one for Station Road in Taunton this evening, 28th March 2019.

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/17535073.tauntons-station-road-closed-after-lorry-gets-stuck-under-railway-bridge/

Viridor's head office is just round the corner on Priory Bridge Road. Whilst that's not their vehicle yard you'd think that they, and by extension, their drivers would well know the height limit on Station Road, Taunton.

At least the pigeons were briefly scared away, according to an eyewitness. Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2019, 15:13:08 »

Perhaps a case of looking, not reading?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: