No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 14:10:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 179463 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2020, 13:44:51 »

Only 15% of the population is over 70 and I am not sure very many of them will be driving buses or HGV's.

Correct on both counts... Wink

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2020, 13:52:02 »

Yeah I believe it's at the top of the cab, out of the drivers line of vision. Surely having something within the line of vision that doesn't impede their view would solve it. Single Decker icons for Single Deckers, Double for Double deckers. Something that is a quick reference.

A simple action like that won't 'solve' anything, though it might well decrease the risk of it happening, and as such might be a good thing.  

Human factors, specifically non-technical skills such as decision making and situational awareness, are complicated and difficult to influence to any great degree.  As Red Squirrel's excellent post above pointed out, whilst gross negligence might be a cause, and needs to be dealt with appropriately, there's usually a whole lot more to it.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2020, 14:02:35 »

Being very old, I was taught 'Imperial Units'.  I understood them.
When we changed to £p, that was easy.

When meat weights changed to kg/g and some measurements changed to m/mm, I still struggle, and prefer the old units.

Luddite yes Grin

I am only a couple of years off retirement and I was taught only in metric units at secondary school. I did learn the other units at primary school. Admittedly I have worked in a technical profession for all my career therefore using units on a day to day basis.  The UK (United Kingdom) construction and manufacturing industry officially went metric in 1970 - that's 50 years ago!

I am 65 and was taught fully metric at secondary school.  More importantly my late mother insisted that the metric system was routinely taught in schools before WW2, she always said the idea that “old folk” had a problem was artificial.

But in the case of this sort of tunnel shaped hole through a high railway embankment, where it seems like you’re driving towards a 40 ft high overgrown hedge, in broad daylight, let’s not use signage as an excuse...

Paul
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2020, 15:56:49 »

Hundredweight (cwt): I don't know in what contexts I saw this abbreviation as a child, but to me it always seemed to stand for for "kilowatts". I mean, who spells hundred with a c? (The Romans, and what did they ever do for us?)

And just to be irrelevantly pedantic, the US is not the only country still officially using "Imperial" units. Myanmar and Liberia also do! (And of course they cling on for various non-official duties in a number of other countries, mostly ones that were once part of the British Empire, but not necessarily English speaking.)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Hal

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2020, 16:01:18 »

Doesn't the railway still use "Chains" to measure distance along the track?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2020, 16:03:49 »

Fortunately a chain is 20 m, unless you're being really picky.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2020, 16:14:03 »

In the USA they still "acre feet" as a unit of measurement. Sounds more like an animal ailment to me, as in "the poor animal got acre feet and had to be shot"

Returning to bridges, It seems that both metric and imperial measures should be shown on bridges. With the long term aim of eventually phasing out imperial units.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2020, 16:49:11 »

Metric measurements are used for Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) structures, but still very much miles and chains in other respects.  The railway will be the last to convert...  Wink

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:17:44 by VickiS » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2020, 18:03:53 »

Or Twenty Two Yards  just like a Cricket Wicket,if you still use English 😁
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2020, 18:22:44 »

Yes it is 20.1168 m which is neither here nor there for finding an asset that is quite big - like a bridge or a set of points. Unless you start adding them up all the way from Paddington, in which case after 100km you could be a way out!

I suppose they still use miles and chains because otherwise they would need to need to spend money replacing all the mileposts and asset records that are measured in miles and chains. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2020, 18:42:38 »

......getting back on track, now being reported that several of the children have "life changing" injuries - generally means amputations in this context.

It's reported that the bus was running late and the driver appeared to be taking a shortcut, despite children on board "screaming" that he was going the wrong way.

Stagecoach have confirmed that the driver was an experienced member of staff.......one would assume therefore that he would have realised that he was driving a double decker rather than a single decker, and taken the necessary precautions when approaching a low bridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-54116518

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2020, 18:47:05 »

Yes it is 20.1168 m which is neither here nor there for finding an asset that is quite big - like a bridge or a set of points. Unless you start adding them up all the way from Paddington, in which case after 100km you could be a way out!

I suppose they still use miles and chains because otherwise they would need to need to spend money replacing all the mileposts and asset records that are measured in miles and chains. 
I don't know how much truth there is in this, but it's been said that they would need to resurvey everything rather than convert. Because the Victorian navvy gangs were paid by the chain, they would claim a chain at say 21 yards rather than 22. Over the length of the railway, it amounted to enough extra pay to be worth it.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2020, 18:48:27 »

......getting back on track, now being reported that several of the children have "life changing" injuries - generally means amputations in this context.

It's reported that the bus was running late and the driver appeared to be taking a shortcut, despite children on board "screaming" that he was going the wrong way.

Stagecoach have confirmed that the driver was an experienced member of staff.......one would assume therefore that he would have realised that he was driving a double decker rather than a single decker, and taken the necessary precautions when approaching a low bridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-54116518

Sometimes, screaming kids should be listened to.  Angry

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2020, 21:20:23 »

Shameful.......what sort of a person could make a joke of it?

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-bus-drivers-slammed-appalling-4508096
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2020, 22:23:44 »

Agreed.  Shameful.

Regarding your earlier point about experienced staff not making mistakes, similar incidents on the railway (involving the non-technical skills I mentioned earlier) indicate ‘experience’ makes little difference - indeed it can lead to complacency.  That’s why Red Squirrels post was spot on.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: