Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:27:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 177582 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 23, 2020, 06:06:10 »

I was in Winchester earlier, and took a roundabout route home, and can confirm that the embankments at both sides of the low bridge have been completely cleared of trees and shrubs.

I wouldn?t like to think this was an admission of culpability...

Paul

I would like to think that it's an attempt to reduce the likelihood that no child (or anyone else) ends up in hospital again, minus limbs, but there's always the possibility of reckless behaviour no matter how many precautions are taken.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 23, 2020, 09:10:20 »

I would like to think that it's an attempt to reduce the likelihood that no child (or anyone else) ends up in hospital again, minus limbs, but there's always the possibility of reckless behaviour no matter how many precautions are taken.

Very true, even if it does look a bit like closing the stable door a bit too late. I would hope too that a check will be made on all safety critical signs, budget or no budget, even if it doesn't stop every accident.
It's a sad fact that safety provision invariably follows accidents. If you see the word "SLOW" painted on a road before a bend, you can bet that someone has been hurt, or a councillor or MP (Member of Parliament) inconvenienced, at some time in the past. The provision of big chevron boards signifies not just that there is a sharp bend, but that at least two drivers failed to take the normal action with the round turny-thing in front of the driver. If they are trimmed with reflective yellow, then either someone has driven through the first set of chevrons, or a lorry has taken to the air.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 23, 2020, 10:44:01 »

Apparently the bus was only going 11mph when it hit the bridge. 

It reminds me of the Cannon Street rail crash in 1991, where a train hit the buffers at only 10mph yet killed two and injured over 500.  Modern train design means a similar collision now would likely have much less serious consequences, and would probably be prevented from happening in the first case by the buffer stop TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) grids, but both incidents are a reminder that even low speed impacts can put lives at risk.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2020, 11:14:18 »

The stable door analogy isn't entirely appropriate, because this stable is always full of horses. Equally, it always has many doors.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:59 »

The stable door analogy isn't entirely appropriate, because this stable is always full of horses. Equally, it always has many doors.

Let's hope the jockey remembers how high their horse is in relation to the stable roof.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2020, 19:52:33 »

Might be camel racing. Or the jockey could even be a mahout. A safari park with giraffe rides?

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2020, 07:54:02 »

It reminds me of the Cannon Street rail crash in 1991, where a train hit the buffers at only 10mph yet killed two and injured over 500.  Modern train design means a similar collision now would likely have much less serious consequences, and would probably be prevented from happening in the first case by the buffer stop TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) grids, but both incidents are a reminder that even low speed impacts can put lives at risk.

Incidents like this demonstrate the physics of momentum to the layman better than any lab experiment. Rail accidents at stations are also made a lot worse by the likelihood of there being a high number of standing passengers. In the case of Cannon Street, some would have been hanging out of opening doors. That the base of some of the carriages dated from a time when brand new aircraft had open cockpits and two pairs of wings probably didn't help.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2020, 10:00:56 »

Another one this morning at Burnham, looks like a minibus, causing delays to rail services.......guessing the driver didn't see the huge yellow and black markings and "LOW BRIDGE" written on the er....low bridge 🤦‍♂️
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46:49 »

Burnham-on-Crouch to Burnham Market to Burnham (Bucks) to Highbridge and Burnham.

Sorry, have I got the wrong thread?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2020, 20:33:48 »

Multiple bridge strikes today at Hampton Court junction, Horsley & Brookwood

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailWssx/status/1318545255277408257?s=09

This tweet mentions Horley (which is near Gatwick) but that's a spelling mistake. It is Horsley near Guildford.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #370 on: November 09, 2020, 14:51:03 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Leicestershire

Most frequently struck bridges in 2019-20
1. Watling Street, Hinckley, Leicestershire - struck 25 times
2. Bromford Road, Dudley, West Midlands - struck 24 times
3. St John's Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire - struck 23 times
4. Stuntney Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire - struck 19 times
5. Abbey Farm, Thetford, Norfolk - struck 16 times
6. Thurlow Park Road, Tulse Hill, London - struck 14 times
7= Carlisle Road, Cleland, North Lanarkshire - struck 13 times
7= Harlaxton Road, Grantham, Lincolnshire - struck 13 times
7= Stonea Road, Stonea, Cambridgeshire - struck 13 times
10= Coddenham Road, Needham Market, Suffolk - struck 11 times
10= Lower Downs Road, Wimbledon, London - struck 11 times

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 09, 2020, 14:53:55 »

And here is 11 to 20 - including one in Wiltshire

11. Lower Downs Road Wimbledon, London 11 strikes

12. Warminster Road Wilton, Wiltshire 10 strikes

13. Prescott Street Wigan, Greater Manchester 10 strikes

14. Greenhills Road Paisley, Renfrewshire 9 strikes

15. Newhouse Road South Ruislip, London 9 strikes

16. Kenworthy Road Homerton, London 9 strikes

17. St John's Road Isleworth, London 9 strikes

18. Jews Lane Twerton, Somerset 9 strikes

19. Barrowby Road Grantham, Lincolnshire 8 strikes

20. Cambridge Road Hitchin, Hertfordshire 8 strikes

Whitehouse Bridge near Swindon Station used to top the list in the past but has obviously dropped down the order.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 09, 2020, 16:27:49 »

Bit more on it............

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/18857947.wilton-warminster-road-bridge-12th-bashed-england/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 09, 2020, 17:34:11 »

And number 18 is in Bath. It's a bit of an oddity in that list, very narrow and only 6' 6", so presumably struck by vans not lorries or buses. I used to duck when, a few decades ago, I regularly rode my motorbike under it, and it hasn't got any taller since!

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 09, 2020, 19:20:01 »

And number 18 is in Bath. It's a bit of an oddity in that list, very narrow and only 6' 6", so presumably struck by vans not lorries or buses. I used to duck when, a few decades ago, I regularly rode my motorbike under it, and it hasn't got any taller since!
The Wimbledon one at number 10 is also a car sized arch bridge. I hope the problem there is similarly just vans, it would be pretty scary if a bus or lorry driver attempted it...

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: