08:55 Paignton to London Paddington
09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 12:21:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[296] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[235] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[56] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[39] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[35] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[17] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Railways Silver Mainline service  (Read 6715 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 23:31:35 »

Am currently installed in Birmingham, in the latter half of two weeks' working up here. Given that I'm now based in Surrey and had to travel up here last Monday to be in Brum before 1030, taking the train via London and Chiltern looked like a good option, all the more so when I spotted that I could travel ex-MYB (London (Marylebone)) on the 0837 (1R14 67-hauled mk 3 service to BMO), with a good chance of sampling one of Chiltern's refurbished sets.

The first thing that went hugely in Chiltern's favour was the price: I had three choices. Travel via London to New Street on Virgin, which would have cost GBP 180 return at the time I needed. Travelling via Basingstoke to New Street also required an Anytime ticket, at a cost of about GBP 100. Chiltern won hands down here, as a Super Off Peak ticket is valid on the 0837 off Marylebone, and I live a relatively short hop on SWT (South West Trains) from Waterloo which is a straightforward journey on the Bakerloo away from there. This journey set me (well, my company) back GBP 42.50, an incredibly reasonable price IMHO (in my humble opinion).

There was indeed a refurbished set waiting on the blocks to form the 0837. First impressions were good: very smart on the outside, and demand has apparently been such that these trains have been extended to 6 cars. The passenger saloons also looked very inviting, clean, smartly upholstered and turned out. However, that's where the good points really end, and I was left with quite a mixed impression of this stock.

Firstly, the refurbishment was obviously carried out to a budget, and the vehicles are still fitted with those wretched IC70 seats that offer no support and have an incredibly awkward fixed armrest between pairs (I appreciate however, that for many of you that might be a plus point). More irritating was that there was literally nowhere on the entire train, other than a seat, where I could stow my modestly-sized suitcase, as all the vehicle-end luggage stacks have been refurbished away. I know that these services are really tarted up commuter trains pretending to be a genuine long-distance express, but this was still a surprise.

There are no doors separating the saloon from the vestibule anymore either, which leads to noise and drafts. At least one of the sliding plug doors on this set was defective, locked and labelled out of use. I have to say that the absolute worst part of the train was the new toilets, which have apparently been designed by someone who never actually tried using them. They are very cramped, of necessity, because of the new door equipment installed in the vestibules, but are an absolute ergonomic catastrophe. Large bulky hand-dryers have been installed, and for some reason mounted about six inches off the floor so that anyone taller than your average midget has to stoop significantly to use them. There's also a slightly ridiculous sink: it's a tiny, fairly flat slate-effect affair that does look very smart, but because it's flat and has very little in the way of a lip leads to water p*ssing all over your feet and the floor when you try and wash your hands whilst the train is on the move.

I really wanted to like these trains, and truth be told they're not bad, but it strikes me as a real shame that the attention to detail in the refurbishment seems to have been so sadly lacking. Interestingly I read part 3 of Paul Bigland's network travelogue in RAIL a few days later and noted that he had raised many of the same points that had occurred to me.

Another point of irritation was that there were four staff clustered around the buffet counter (which from my seat was directly in my sight line) for the bulk of the journey, and only once did the conductor make any kind of half-baked attempt at a ticket check, without carrying a machine so it's unclear what he would have done had anyone needed to pay. This was a disappointment as Chiltern staff have always been very thorough with tickets in my experience in the past.

Anyone else used the service and have any thoughts?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:21:09 »

I haven't had chance to get on one of the plug door trains yet, but have been on one of the other refurbished sets and also find the old style seats uncomfortable - though most other aspects of those carriages is pretty much perfect.  The loss of the sliding internal doors was a necessary evil to provide space for the power operated doors I believe?

Out of interest, how full was the train?  The one 'Silver' train I get to see (not travel on) on a fairly regular basis is the arguably the premier service of the day, the 18:07 Marylebone to Kidderminster (first stop Warwick Parkway).  It always appears to have bags of room on it.  Perhaps that explains why its equivalent from the December timetable, put back to 18:15 has been slowed to include stops at Banbury, Leamington Spa, Dorridge, The Hawthorns and Smethwich Galton Bridge - adding 10 minutes to the overall journey time.  But if it means filling out the seats more effectively then it's probably for the best.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:55 »

The 1807 is generally 50-70% full most nights. The 1810 behind that currently has the BAN & LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) stops (4car 168) is around 75-85% full most nights. These two trains are being concatenated into one silver train at 1815, first stop BAN. THere are too many pax on an average night in the two current trains which I predict will lead to overcrowding & SRO (Standing Room Only) conditions.....let's wait and see.

Just as well you weren't on this 0837 on Monday just gone. It 'fell over' approaching Aynho JUnction & arrived in BAN at 1236.....3hrs59 for a 58 minute timetable....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:46:15 »

The 1807 is generally 50-70% full most nights.

Crickey, what other peak hour departure from any London terminal has that kind of spare capacity!  No wonder the timetable is being changed.  Will another peak departure benefit from extra carriages thanks to this consolidation of two trains into one?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:11:49 »

I guess so - they'll def use them in a juggle of stock...

Don't forget they need 5 sets of 168s for the Oxford services in a year or so. Only so many are being replaced by their additional silver trains.

Oh, btw, the silver trains will be out at weekends from the Dec12 TT too....
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 18:30:16 »

The 0837 a week ago Monday (5 Nov) was very lightly loaded; probably never more than 12 - 15 people in the carriage I was using.

By coincidence I spent the day with the station staff at Moor Street this Monday (and incidentally, if all Chiltern's staff are the same calibre I can see why they won Operator of the Year) so I was well aware of what happened to 1R14!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 23:56:51 »

Come to think of it, I know from conversations I overheard at Moor Street that 1R14 on Monday had somewhere between 60 and 70 pax when it sat down at Aynho, if that answers your question IndustryInsider.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: