Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:42 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:26:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 348184 times)
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 27, 2023, 15:51:34 »

I am trying to see where the incorrect information is,could you explain,thanks.

ITV West lunctime news on thursday 27 july saying about the opening of Portway station showed the location of the four track line at Ashley down.

Ah well some pictures are better than nothing.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #691 on: July 27, 2023, 16:19:17 »

Picture is of an IET (Intercity Express Train) - no chance on the SEvern Beach is there?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 27, 2023, 16:48:43 »

The picture has now been changed to a turbo

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 27, 2023, 17:52:03 »

Picture is of an IET (Intercity Express Train) - no chance on the SEvern Beach is there?

Er no. But then again... I've been down it on a Class 220. About 20 years ago Filton Abbey Wood was being remodelled and hourly trains were diverted via Henbury and the Severn Beach line.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #694 on: July 27, 2023, 17:55:10 »

The picture has now been changed to a turbo

Only after the question was asked & I posted my response to it. I checked before answering & it was still an IET (Intercity Express Train) then.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 27, 2023, 17:58:37 »

ChrisB's question led me to check the longest train that can be accommodated on the Severn Beach line (it's 5 cars, but I wanted to be sure). So I asked Google's AI tool Bard. It said:

The longest train that can be used on the Severn Beach Line is 650 meters (2,133 feet). This is the length of a Class 150 single-car diesel multiple unit (DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)), which is the type of train that is most commonly used on the line. The Severn Beach Line has a number of short platforms, so trains longer than 650 meters cannot be used.

In the past, there have been longer trains used on the Severn Beach Line. For example, in the 1960s, Class 117 DMUs were used on the line, and these trains are 750 meters (2,461 feet) long. However, these trains were too long for the platforms, so they had to be split in two at Severn Beach station.

I'm really sad that I missed the spectacle of a Class 117 being split in two at Severn Beach. I'm surprised no-one thought to take a photo of this.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 27, 2023, 20:20:38 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local news on Thursday evening announcing that the new portway would be opening on the 1st August,

shame it started with the disused rail line heading for portishead.

The turbo at Portway report came without the reporter being named,just shows how our public broadcaster is unaccountable.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 27, 2023, 20:46:51 »

ChrisB's question led me to check the longest train that can be accommodated on the Severn Beach line (it's 5 cars, but I wanted to be sure). So I asked Google's AI tool Bard. It said:

The longest train that can be used on the Severn Beach Line is 650 meters (2,133 feet). This is the length of a Class 150 single-car diesel multiple unit (DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)), which is the type of train that is most commonly used on the line. The Severn Beach Line has a number of short platforms, so trains longer than 650 meters cannot be used.

In the past, there have been longer trains used on the Severn Beach Line. For example, in the 1960s, Class 117 DMUs were used on the line, and these trains are 750 meters (2,461 feet) long. However, these trains were too long for the platforms, so they had to be split in two at Severn Beach station.

I'm really sad that I missed the spectacle of a Class 117 being split in two at Severn Beach. I'm surprised no-one thought to take a photo of this.
Shocked

But... if you asked about the line, not the stations, 650m might be a reasonable figure. How long is the "Binliner" for instance?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 31, 2023, 11:03:00 »

Either this AI's not all it's cracked up to be, or they use some very dodgy tape measures over there in the Fahrenheit Zone. It's more than a little out of date too. Using the less advanced Google maps suggests a usable platform length of about 79 metres. I trust that less than I trust Red Squirrel - a 5-car Turbo train would measure 117 metres.

Now, please!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 31, 2023, 16:44:01 »

Either this AI's not all it's cracked up to be, or they use some very dodgy tape measures over there in the Fahrenheit Zone.

I think the former Tony. Who else has spotted the new variety of class 150 (single-car?) it refers to?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #700 on: July 31, 2023, 18:00:07 »

Either this AI's not all it's cracked up to be, or they use some very dodgy tape measures over there in the Fahrenheit Zone.

I think the former Tony. Who else has spotted the new variety of class 150 (single-car?) it refers to?

I loved that carriage being 650 metres long ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 01, 2023, 09:26:59 »

More good work from 'Devon Live'; to illustrate their story concerning today's rail strike their 'journalists' thought it appropriate to use an image of a Scotrail Class 385 EMU (Electric Multiple Unit).

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 01, 2023, 11:04:14 »

Bit slow to spot this, but it's a good 'un:

Ashley Down Station: Works to begin on new rail route
12 January 2023

A new railway station just half-a-mile from the Seat Unique Stadium will connect Ashley Down to Bristol’s Temple Meads Station, Filton and Henbury.

The Ashley Down Station, which will be located on the site of the previous Ashley Hill Station, between Muller Road and Ashley Down Road, is due for construction between February 2023 and 2024.

The proposed new station at Ashley Down is part of a wider ‘MetroWest 2’ project, which will re-open the Henbury Line between Bristol Temple Meads and Henbury to passengers. The project is a partnership between West of England Combined Authority, Bristol City Council, Network Rail and Great Western Railways, and the new railway route is estimated to provide transport for up to 1.3 million people each year.

The Henbury Line will operate a half-hourly service and will provide a brand new form of transport for Gloucestershire Cricket supporters and Members on busy matchdays for the duration of the cricket season.

Will Brown, Chief Executive at Gloucestershire Cricket, said: “The Ashley Down Station will provide a much-needed additional mode of transport for people travelling to and from the Seat Unique Stadium in 2024 and beyond.

“It’s fantastic to see investment in the local infrastructure and we hope the new station will encourage visitors to use more sustainable methods of transport when coming to watch Gloucestershire.”

A completion date is yet to be confirmed, but the Ashley Down Station is expected to open to the public in 2024.
Source: Gloucestershire County Cricket Club

Can anyone identify where it was really taken?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 01, 2023, 12:34:56 »

Can anyone identify where it was really taken?

Ignoring Google, which of course insists it was Ashley Down, logically it should be Zwickau - but I can't see where.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 01, 2023, 13:13:27 »

Just had a look at Zwickau - looks big enough (what led you to it?) but I can't work out all the ironmongery in the background. Is it OHLE, or a gasworks?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49
  Print  

Jump to: