Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:49:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 345236 times)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 23:55:03 »

While this isn't a news article, I find it equally frustrating to see Hitachi use completely irrelevant 'stock' images on their website.

http://goo.gl/bdwK3
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:51:05 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 20:25:32 »

Another one that's appeared before. Pretty sure this isn't in the Worcester area:

That particular photo has been used all over the place. Poland, Hungary, South America, Japan. I wonder where the actual location of that track work is. Looks suspiciously like it's less than standard gauge.

http://bit.ly/WguyPd
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 20:30:55 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 04:16:45 »

The rail fixings don't look British narrow gauge.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 22:06:08 »

From Chippenham People:

Bridge damage causes road closure in Lacock

It has been confirmed part of Roebuck Bridge along Corsham Road in Lacock has been knocked down onto the embankment near the railway this morning.

At around 7.49am a passer-by reported the damaged bridge.

People were asked to drive carefully pass the affected area and two high speed train services were diverted and did not call at Bath Spa or Chippenham.

Corsham Road is now closed while repairs are carried out on the bridge by a Network Rail team.

No: they've lost me completely on that one.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 22:10:10 »

From Chippenham People:

Bridge damage causes road closure in Lacock

It has been confirmed part of Roebuck Bridge along Corsham Road in Lacock has been knocked down onto the embankment near the railway this morning.

At around 7.49am a passer-by reported the damaged bridge.

People were asked to drive carefully pass the affected area and two high speed train services were diverted and did not call at Bath Spa or Chippenham.

Corsham Road is now closed while repairs are carried out on the bridge by a Network Rail team.

No: they've lost me completely on that one.  Shocked

Is there a river under the bridge? If not that is one of the most off topic photos ever to make a news article

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 11:01:47 »

No, and clearly they are talking about the bridge next up on the main line, otherwise it does not make sense.  There is no river under either.  Lunchtime O' Booze on the job again?

Pity for the Chippenham pax having a long journey back if what they wrote is what happened (diverted via Badminton -why not via Melksham and then reverse at Westbury? (or somewhere nearer, I don't know the possibilities on the Trowbridge line). 
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 17:28:09 »

On a serious note:

HST (High Speed Train)'s can and frequently do run via Melksham but have very rarely ever called there. There are also two daily HST services that run via Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon which do call there. Both routes are frequently used for Diversions.

But this is yet another classic example of how useful the complete Bradford Junction triangle could have been and it was once a complete triangle.

Reversing at Westbury was probably not considered an option due to the time it takes to reverse and the potential for "Platform Hogging" which is a lot more common at Westbury than it should be. I've lost count if the amount of times if missed a connection there because I've been stuck just outside the station waiting for a platform. The train that moves to free a platform is invariably the train I actually want... ;-)

Running via Heywood Junction from Pewsey - Trowbridge would and generally is a sensible solution Wink Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 23:44:38 »

Lunchtime O' Booze on the job again?

No, it was actually a charming young journalist called NaomiWink

I posted a quizzical comment on her article, enquiring politely as to the relevance of the picture, and she replied thus:
Thank you! Unfortunately the affected area was quite dangerous to go near so I couldn't take a picture so thought i'd just use a stock picture.

I rest my case.  Roll Eyes

HST (High Speed Train)'s can and frequently do run via Melksham but have very rarely ever called there.

You'd be surprised - as indeed many people were, twice in one day: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=7596.0  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:38 »

CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) tries to run an annual excursion train each year from the Cotswold Line to somewhere interesting. Our 2010 and 2011 excursions (HSTs (High Speed Train)) travelled via Melksham (no stop) on the way from the CL to Minehead (2010) and Portsmouth (2011). Very roundabout routes but FGW (First Great Western) try to make the routes interesting. Our return journey from Minehead went, after leaving the West Somerset line, via Westbury and then the pictureasque Avon valley to Bath and Bristol before heading north to Worcester and then back to Oxford a really roundabout trip!
Incidentally CLPG has just arranged its 2013 excursion for 28 September. This will be run along the CL from Worcester to Oxford and thence to Swanage. We think that may be the first time an HST has visited Swanage although we have heard but can't find any confirmation that East Midlands is planning an HST train to Swanage earlier this summer than our trip. If any one is interested in travelling on our Swanage trip bookings from non-members will open from 1 June. For detail see CLPG's new web site clpg.org.uk.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 13:37:09 »

Lunchtime O' Booze on the job again?

No, it was actually a charming young journalist called NaomiWink

I posted a quizzical comment on her article, enquiring politely as to the relevance of the picture, and she replied thus:
Thank you! Unfortunately the affected area was quite dangerous to go near so I couldn't take a picture so thought i'd just use a stock picture.

I rest my case.  Roll Eyes

HST (High Speed Train)'s can and frequently do run via Melksham but have very rarely ever called there.

You'd be surprised - as indeed many people were, twice in one day: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=7596.0  Grin

Well done  Chris, more assiduous journalism from you than she displayed.  How ingenuous of her to admit it (or just honest).
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 15:08:36 »

That was what I was hinting at Wink Just couldn't link it at the time Embarrassed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:24 »

The disease has even spread to the Tavistock news.

http://www.tavistockpeople.co.uk/reinstating-rail-link-good-bad-thing-Tavistock/story-18299800-detail/story.html?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 13:23:48 »

Oh no not that (damaged) TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) loop again Tongue  I think NR» (Network Rail - home page) should be told.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 23:53:58 »

A rather startling example, from Breaking Travel News:

Further improvements planned for Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) line

Network Rail has vowed to keep disruption to passengers to a minimum as it carries out vital improvement work on the Tarka line between Exeter and Barnstaple during March.

Two short closures have been agreed to improve the rail infrastructure on the popular line, avoiding the busy Easter weekend which sees large numbers of people ^ including many tourists ^ travelling by train.

The first closure will take place between Crediton and Barnstaple, with the line closing at 11pm on Sunday 10 March and, reopening at 3pm on Wednesday 13 March. This is for track relaying and bridge improvement works near Lapford, and for other works near Umberleigh.

During this time, train operator First Great Western will operate train services between Exeter and Crediton, with a bus replacement service serving all stations north of Crediton, through to Barnstaple.

The second closure takes place over the weekend of Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 March. During this time, buses will replace trains between Barnstaple and Exeter, as Network Rail^s engineers undertake further track renewals in the Umberleigh area and other essential maintenance along the line.

Tim Maddocks, Network Rail customer service manager for the West Country, said: ^Working with First Great Western, we^ve been able to plan this vital work in a way that avoids the busy Easter weekend. We would like to thank passengers for their patience while we complete these essential improvement works to make the Tarka line safer, smoother and more reliable.^

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2013, 00:17:19 »

That's not North Devon, it's Lancaster.

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/lancaster-and-fleetwood-mp-sees-improvements-first-hand/

I did ask Breaking Travel News just when those skyscrapers went up in Lancaster.

Could also possibly be Cambridge, or maybe Peterborough.

http://www.heart.co.uk/cambridge/news/local/cambridge-peterborough-new-train-routes/

Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: