I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:11:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 345289 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2013, 16:53:12 »

Not a stock photo this time, but stock footage on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Breakfast Points West opt out this morning. On an item on a royal personage doing something regal at Kemble station (details passed me by) in amongst the images of FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) gilding in and out of the platforms was a close shot of a Crosscountry HST moving along a platform which could have been anywhere (but not Kemble, I submit).

Prince Charles opened the station garden: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-23446694
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2013, 11:29:15 »

Non Railway, but transport related. ITV are reporting on Brittany Ferries having a successful year, and they've used stock footage from last years strikes with boards rolling saying "cancelled". Cancelled is the complete opposite if they are doing so well. Suggests last years strikes didn't have too much negative impact.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2013-08-24/brittany-ferries-enjoy-best-summer-for-three-years/

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2013, 00:27:37 »

Noticed another odd bit of clip animation in the title sequence of the hauiry Bikers new series on Restoring our Industrial Past. There's a disticntly Americacn loco appears a couple of times.

Tonights was on the 47xx being built at Llangollen. Althugh called Night Owls I saw  all 9 of the class through Slough. As they could get up to 60 plus they often appeared on empty stock,  holiday extras and excusions.

Not sure how it's going to look with a No 1 boiler rather than it's own larger  No 7 although 4700 was first built with a No 1.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2013, 14:18:46 »

Where does one start with this piece from the Daily Mule. It's about some little imbiciles playing chicken in front of a train, but:

1. Whilst I'd agree that the train was metres away when the kids got off the line, I suggest that the number of metres was probably around a hundred. Obviously it's stupid and dangerous to stand in the four foot when there's a train coming (or at any other time, for that matter), but not quite as extreme as the Mule would have us believe. Do they think their readers are so daft that they don't recognise the effects of a long lens?

2. What the blue blazes is going on with the final picture? It's plainly a different train going under a different bridge, but possibly a half-drunk half-asleep person might not spot that. But two tracks? Have Wallace and Gromit just passed through, persued by Feathers McGraw?

Edit: The Daily Murr has it as a high-speed train... Can anyone remind me of the definition of 'high-speed' in the rail context?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 18:44:43 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2013, 20:10:49 »

Edit: The Daily Murr has it as a high-speed train... Can anyone remind me of the definition of 'high-speed' in the rail context?

The sentiment of the article - THIS IS A STUPID THING TO DO - is spot on.

A high speed train is one that goes at 25mph or more in this context (not 125!). It will kill just as surely.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2013, 20:33:47 »

Come September, the papers may have news to publish. Children have played on railways for almost 200 years in the face of advice to the contrary from "grown-ups", with a sad toll of killed and maimed to show for it. Sensationalist pictures and stories like this run the risk of starting a league table amongst the young people of wherever, who may not appreciate fully the danger they put themselves in. BTP (British Transport Police) and Network rail do much to try to inform the yoof of today, and to put them off such shenanigans, but there is no telling some people. Worse, they may not be aware that an oncoming HST (High Speed Train), as seen from dead ahead, grows slowly on the eyeball until the last moment, and cannot stop suddenly, and even less that a smaller commuter train, whilst smaller and slower, will still hurt.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2013, 21:28:20 »

Ironically I can remember at prep school the headmaster giving a stern warning after some pupils had been caught putting pennies on the line to get them squashed. I say ironic because until he mentioned it I had never thought of straying onto a railway line!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2013, 21:44:31 »

Ironically I can remember at prep school the headmaster giving a stern warning after some pupils had been caught putting pennies on the line to get them squashed. I say ironic because until he mentioned it I had never thought of straying onto a railway line!

Me neither, although being an alumni alumnus of a junior, rather than prep, school, I could only afford to put halfpennies, and only under second class trains.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:57:10 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2013, 22:10:00 »

being an alumni of a junior, rather than prep, school,

Was Latin available at your place of secondary education?

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2012/04/26/why-youll-never-be-an-alumni/

Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2013, 22:15:27 »

Tongue Wink Grin

The available datums suggest not.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2013, 10:55:35 »

Tongue Wink Grin

Mea culpa, Sir, I meant almnus. That mistake would probably have got me beaten, and might still if the fearsome Mr "Spud" Murphy is a member of this forum.. Sic transit Gloria Swanson. Schoolboy error from a man who was top in Latin every term. Until the hormones kicked in.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 19:04:39 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2013, 11:39:01 »

Caesar ad sum jam forti
Brutus et erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

...or, for the true latin scholars:

Ubi ianua ianuam non est?
Ubi urna est!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2013, 17:55:22 »

For all the reasons above I prefer "old boy" when referring to my former educational establishments.... and as the years go by the term becomes more and more appropriate!   Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2013, 08:17:44 »

Not railway related, but we are an internet forum, this photo to illustrate "rural areas" did amuse me in the context the story...

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

BT hangs up on dial-up internet access

Dial-up net access is still used in many rural and remote areas of the UK (United Kingdom)

BT will turn off its dial-up internet access service on 1 September.

The telecoms firm said it was taking the step because only a "tiny number" of its customers still went online using a dial-up modem.

It added that the vast majority of its 6.8 million broadband customers had switched to much faster connections.

However, a small number of people in rural areas where broadband will not work will struggle to get online after the change.

Cut off

Dial-up customers were first informed about the impending closure in May and June this year, BT said, adding that most of these people would be able to migrate to a broadband service.

The company said that the shut-down meant about 1,000 people who lived in remote areas would not be able to move to broadband as their phone line was incapable of supporting the technology.

These people were likely to be living in some of the most remote parts of the UK, said Oliver Johnson, chief executive of broadband consultancy Point Topic.

"They will be too far from the telephone exchange to get any meaningful broadband," he said. "The distance means that the broadband signal degrades."

Those who had to stick with dial-up would still be able to get such services from BT via its Plusnet subsidiary.

Some phone lines will not support existing broadband technologies

"No-one is being left without the option of an alternative service," said a BT spokesman.

(story continues in link)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2013, 09:53:00 »

Since we seem to be willing to be amused by non-rail related poor illustrations, I think this may take some beating (although a picture of a cow on a story about IT is a good competitor!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-23850262

Design images of sci-fi favourite Battlestar Galactica were apparently used by a Chinese state website to illustrate an article about aircraft carriers.

Apparently a regular feature of state Chinese news sites is the copying of sci-fi images from western sources.

Perhaps HST2 could in future be illustrated by the monorail system from Thunderbirds (circa 1966 for younger readers).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: