06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:52 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:39:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 346941 times)
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:28 »

And what looks suspiciously like Exmouth to illustrate the story concerning yesterdays' lightning-induced disruption near Langley.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Lightning-strike-causes-train-delays-Exeter/story-19964779-detail/story.html
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:46 »

And what looks suspiciously like Exmouth to illustrate the story concerning yesterdays' lightning-induced disruption near Langley.
Be fair, the story does start:
Commuters out of Exeter were delayed by up to two hours yesterday after lightning caused a signal failure near London.
I just wonder how many commuters there were on a Sunday...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2013, 11:36:23 »

Be fair, the story does start:
Commuters out of Exeter were delayed by up to two hours yesterday after lightning caused a signal failure near London.
I just wonder how many commuters there were on a Sunday...

The figure I deduced (a very hard thing to find out) is that around two thirds of working weeks remain "9 to 5" jobs, and the remaining third are spread out at all sorts of other times / shift patterns.   

I know you probably weren't looking for a serious answer there, but there WERE several regular commuters (i.e. people making home to work and back journeys multiple times per week) even on the 07:30 Westbury to Swindon when it ran for just 8 weeks in the summer of 2011.   They were delighted to have found the train (and how many more did not find it?) and mortified that it was only running for 8 weeks.

On that topic, it should be back next summer ...

From Connecting Wiltshire:

Quote from: Connecting Wiltshire
Improved TransWilts rail service is on track

There will also be an additional four trains on Sundays throughout the year, with at least one seasonal service connecting with the existing Westbury-Weymouth service in each direction. Improvements are also being made to Melksham Station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:33 »

The figure I deduced (a very hard thing to find out) is that around two thirds of working weeks remain "9 to 5" jobs, and the remaining third are spread out at all sorts of other times / shift patterns.   

That did occur to me, but then the more you think about the meaning of the item the less sense it makes.

I mean, it was Sunday evening (by the time the effect reached Exeter) - and affected lLondon trains, not most local ones. So, while you can't rule out travel to or from work, it can hardly typify the passengers who were delayed.

Should this example be characterised as "annoying use of completely irrelevant stock wording in news articles"? Or is that so common as to be not worth noting?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:48 »

Isn't every passenger just a commuter these days?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2013, 20:32:14 »

Not really ANNOYING ... more a vision of the future of the TransWilts ... from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-24628756?

Wiltshire Council will pay the subsidy for the new services using a Department for Transport grant

Trains from Westbury to Swindon are to be increased from two to eight per day by Christmas, Wiltshire Council says.

The authority has given the go-ahead for a detailed contract and new timetable to be negotiated with train operator First Great Western.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2013, 20:34:37 »

Maybe it meant "to be increased from two to eight coaches"  Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2013, 21:10:50 »

... And single line to double track.  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2013, 20:16:18 »

And a work in progress livery... Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
the void

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2013, 11:33:36 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24659115

Exactly the same photo used today to illustrate the story about MITIE strike action (which obviously doesn't sound as glamourous as FGW (First Great Western) strike action!)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2013, 05:14:54 »

I think this can be said for the railway ticket system at times...

Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2013, 20:41:00 »

From the Bournemouth Echo:

Delays affecting train passengers between Bournemouth and Manchester

Delays affecting train passengers between Bournemouth and Manchester

Train passengers are facing delays of up to 45 minutes between Bournemouth and Manchester Piccadilly.

A signalling problem at St Denys is affecting services by CrossCountry, First Great Western, Southern and South West Trains.

Hang on a minute!  I recognize that picture: it's got nothing to do with St Denys, Bournemouth, or Manchester Piccadilly - it's taken from an Oxford Mail news story about Ascott-under-Wychwood shoppers getting back on track for Christmas which I quoted last year ...  Shocked Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2013, 20:45:44 »

From the Bournemouth Echo:
Hang on a minute!  I recognize that picture: it's got nothing to do with St Denys, Bournemouth, or Manchester Piccadilly - it's taken from an Oxford Mail news story about Ascott-under-Wychwood shoppers getting back on track for Christmas last year ...  Shocked Roll Eyes

Two Newsquest Media news companies. Stock images I am guessing which Newsquest own the rights to.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2013, 20:47:47 »

Maybe so: it's still completely irrelevant.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2013, 21:39:57 »

Was there no photo at all in the Bournemouth Echo (and sister paper's) archive of a CrossCountry or South West Trains train?

The problem may have affected FGW (First Great Western) passengers elsewhere, but there'd've been precisely 0% of them at Bournemouth station earlier today.

Also, why infer in the headline that only services to Manchester were affected?  Grin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 22:35:58 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: